Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

4 minutes ago, Simonaghan79 said:

I started a game with Sheffield Wednesday and after selling 6-7 players and buying 3-4 I am left with 90k free wage budget and 1 mil transfer.  

The board will not entertain budget requests at all even on deadline day.  I switched budgets quite a lot on FM16.  is this a bug?  What are everyone else's experiences with this?

Also I get 2 star graphics / computer performance with all the major leagues but in fm16 I get 5! I use a Mac 21inch (2011).  Is there a reason for such a large difference?

Apart from this I am massively impressed so far.

Can anyone advise please?

Sorry for the bold but its the fourth time of posting this and no one has come back to me yet.  Can anyone help?

Regarding the performance stars, it may be a case of wait and see.

My graphics rating has plummeted from 4 or 5 (can't quite recall but know it was nice and high) stars in 16 to half a star in 17. I have been playing on low detail and the match engine is pretty smooth.

So I asked in the new laptop/pc thread about buying a graphics card to compensate and Welshace (heroically helpful techie guru) advised against it as the graphics capability I already had should play 17 very well.

So, I'm wondering if my half a star may be a bit of a bug as I'm not the only one experiencing it at the moment.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B Team and training :)

i am am able to now allocate a role to be trained for my B team players at Barca.

(I'm at work so can't check the next bit specifically) 

i get 2 options and the second one seems to indicate that I am permanently in control (the other being along the line of a

temporary control just to set this new role - or that's the way I read it anyway!!

..... this is new so could someone confirm exactly what the change here is pls.

2 hours ago, jacknjill said:

one thing I've never understood with all versions of fm is the ratings of young players. The ratings are always really low even 5 star potential players, if you rated giggs at a young age his dribbling would have been really high and flair and pace, its the other stats he would grow as he gets older. Owen could finish fantastically at 15 and had pace to burn, they need to rethink this for future versions I think

This is actually a research issue. Because regens are often as you described (too extreme IMO, you'll have that 16-year old with 17 finishing and 6 technique etc.)

12 minutes ago, Eborg said:

Are there going to be any data changes for the full release or only bug-fixes?

Eager to start a long-term save but want to start with the freshest database possible.

There will be database revisions but the cut-off dates are different for different things. For example, Miles tweeted yesterday saying he hoped no-one would make managerial changes for a couple of weeks, then Wigan and Wolves sacked their managers, so I would presume the database lock for staff changes happened last night. I know board changes were a week or two ago as well. So you have to bare in mind there may be a few weeks worth of data where the changes won't be reflected in the release database

Edited by gibbo11

2 minutes ago, gibbo11 said:

There will be database revisions but the cut-off dates are different for different things. For example, Miles tweeted yesterday saying he hoped no-one would make managerial changes for a couple of weeks, then Wigan and Wolves sacked their managers, so I would presume the database lock for staff changes happened last night. I know board changes were a week or two ago as well. So you have to bare in mind there may be a few weeks worth of data where the changes won't be reflected in the release database

Oh no that means more Fawaz :seagull:

OK, thanks!

As far as I know when a game is started then things cannot be edited within that save (e.g. increasing club reputation for 2nd team so it can theoretically be promoted to the lowest division)? Or you can edit data within a save?

1 minute ago, Carninho said:

Oh no that means more Fawaz :seagull:

Unfortunately! Speaking to Rob the Forest researcher though, the data should, if the changes made it in time, reflect that he wants out and that we'd more than likely get a takeover whilst managing, which would be exciting at least! Though we both agreed the takeover will probably happen the day after release or something :D

2 minutes ago, Eborg said:

OK, thanks!

As far as I know when a game is started then things cannot be edited within that save (e.g. increasing club reputation for 2nd team so it can theoretically be promoted to the lowest division)? Or you can edit data within a save?

With the real-time editor that you can buy (forgot how much, something like £3??) you can change reputation values etc.. whilst in a save game

A big frustration of mine in this game for years has been the way that bad form is played out in matches. When i think of a team in bad form, generally it's little things going wrong which add up over the course of matches causes points dropped. In FM too often it's just stupid things. It's keepers not saving simple shots and seeing it happen with a stupid animation. It's defender scoring a ridiculous own goal, or heading the ball across their own box and a team mate ignores it for a striker to tap in.

I'm not saying that these things don't happen BUT these type of things generally happen in the game during bad form, and it doesn't feel like bad form which is what frustrates me. It feels like the game forcing results you don't deserve for realistic periods of the season. 

I (when i was younger and couldn't take losing) used to replay matches when these kind of things happen and it often produced the same results and would take many reloads to get a result i could accept, and i know if i was to do that now it would be the same results. It's all comes down to the feeling the game gives you and it's something which as really frustrated me for years. I want bad form to feel like bad form. I want to feel like i can do something to change it, and that making changes can maybe grind a result even if the team are playing poor. It's frustrating year after year, season after season to be going through periods of bad form and for it not to feel like bad form. 

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

Is there any known Issue with Woodwork ? I have at least 1 per Game. Sometimes 2-3 .  And Corners happening too often. 10-15 almost every game

Hey haffaz77. This would be worth mentioning the ME bugs forum. That way the proper people can take a look. Any PKMs you are able to upload that illustrate your issue would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Seb.

Just now, jacknjill said:

has anyone had any issues with offering contract to players whose contract has six months left ? I thought you cld agree a pre contract and sign for free but I cant offer anyone except players at foreign clubs a contract.

You need to be more specific. Are you an English club trying to sign a player from another English club? Then you can't. You can only approach to sign in the last month.

What happened to most clubs' nicknames? Almost no team has one. 

I've checked multiple teams/leagues, Holland seems fine, but big countries like England (only some non playable teams have them), Italy (Juventus not named the old lady), Spain, Gemany and more.

• SI Staff
26 minutes ago, jacknjill said:

has anyone had any issues with offering contract to players whose contract has six months left ? I thought you cld agree a pre contract and sign for free but I cant offer anyone except players at foreign clubs a contract.

To add to HUNT3R's response, the removal of bosman signings is also a possible outcome of Brexit. Again if managing an applicable club of course.

In the backroom advice section of staff responsibilities you can choose which member of your coaching staff will provide the Pre Match Tactical Advice Summary that gives advice on formation, mentality, shape, player duty combinations and team instructions for your next match. Does the quality of the "advice" given in this report depend upon the attributes of the coach you choose to give it (possibly tactical knowledge, player ability)?
Confirmation from SI as to what attributes, if any, affect the quality of the Pre Match Tactical Advice Summary would be appreciated.

How do you edit your manager's appearance? I just skimmed through it at first wanting to get to the main game, but now I want to see what I'd look like with my photo on there. Somehow I'm not finding the option anywhere though. I don't even mean just within a saved game, but from the main menu I still can't find the option. I'm sure it's somewhere, but I've looked for ages and it's got to the point where it would just be quicker to ask!

some feedback its crazy the chances you spurn when playing lower rated clubs or clubs at the bottom of your league. Players clean through putting it so far wide its nearly impossible to do and I'm Liverpool so these are world class strikers.

then the usual they score with their one and only chance on target. It's happens 16 times to me so far.

game im playing right now i had 18 chances 11 on target and Sunderland 1 on target 1 goal.

this happens so so often and I know some will say tactics and I do realise sometimes it happens but not 16 times and poorer teams come back too easy against you. I think it just needs a bit of balancing at the mo

1 hour ago, Fizzle said:

What happened to most clubs' nicknames? Almost no team has one. 

I've checked multiple teams/leagues, Holland seems fine, but big countries like England (only some non playable teams have them), Italy (Juventus not named the old lady), Spain, Gemany and more.

Same by me.Why there are not nicknames for the clubs?

First impressions. Congrats!

Positive highlights
- Showing linked events on the analysis tab. This helps to see the build up to a goal or chance. In past versions lost a lot of time clicking "back" or watching it to find that out.
- Can show both teams average positions on the same map, nice showing how they compared
- Opposition is sometimes changing formation during game (something I don't know if it was maybe existing before but I literally never saw it happening)
- Battling for the ball is much more happening and unpredictable. You think he is making a mistake and then the ref allows the physicality. Great!
- Deflected free kicks...becoming a goal! Great and very realistic.
- 3 direct free-kick goals in 10 games.
- Great and utterly stupid red cards.
- Electronic digital billboards

My laptop is from 2010 and runs it very fine. Gave me 0,5 star recommended very low, but can play it easily on medium without stuttering.

Uncertain areas:
- higher amount of penalties (need more games to check)? Playing czech first division.

Improvement areas
- Cant highlight eg all passes of one player in the analysis players tab. Would need to click all different passes to highlight. One button in front of the player to highlight all his passes would be nice.

Overall rating 4,5/5. Losing half due to no progress on training and day-2-day mngmt and press conferences.

21 hours ago, Wells said:

It is quite amazing to see some saying that they have had no crossing issue in FM 16... hmmmm they must have been playing a special FM16 than the normal then.. sorry had to say it.

I will still read this thread and look for anyone else reporting crossing issue before I get FM 17... that was gamebreaking for me last year and can't bear to take it again.

I am sorry wells but I must have one of those special games as well.  If you have read any of my previous posts I was quite critical of the game when I played the demo but when i bought the game after the patches I have not seen the same problems.  i know SI have said that they could not solve the problem for FM16 so I don't know why it is no longer a problem in my save, and before you ask I have not set any special tactics to enable me to attempt more crosses or to stop my oppontent and my defenders behave as i would expect (for me this was a major problem in the demo) so maybe I have one of those special games after all.

I hadn't planned on getting the game before release... that was until Miles released the 30 min YouTube video showing off the new ME and features and I was instantly on Steam preordering the game!

I've not played a massive amount as I always start my long term save after the full release, but I'm very impressed with what I have seen so far. The feedback and advice from the back room staff is much improved. It feels like you are actually getting valuable input this year as opposed to skipping back room meetings forever! 

The match engine looks fantastic and seems to be very stable and plays very well. Not had any issues with overpowered crossing this year, and contrary to some posts earlier on here, I don't think there are any issues with injuries either. 

Looking forward to the full release so I can get stuck in to the game properly. for someone who has bought every year since CM2, I'd like to thank SI for producing another great iteration for us. When you consider if over the year you play 1000 hours (I usually get more than this), at £27.99, it works out at 2.7p an hour. That's great value for money in my book ?

31 minutes ago, wackiewim said:

Improvement areas
- Cant highlight eg all passes of one player in the analysis players tab. Would need to click all different passes to highlight. One button in front of the player to highlight all his passes would be nice.

Yeah you can

7PEgMwM.png

Unless this isn't what you mean

3 hours ago, -Nelly- said:

How do you edit your manager's appearance? I just skimmed through it at first wanting to get to the main game, but now I want to see what I'd look like with my photo on there. Somehow I'm not finding the option anywhere though. I don't even mean just within a saved game, but from the main menu I still can't find the option. I'm sure it's somewhere, but I've looked for ages and it's got to the point where it would just be quicker to ask!

As far as I know, you can't. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yeah you can

7PEgMwM.png

Unless this isn't what you mean

Now you highlighted completed passes. If you want to see all of Burke's passes you would have to click on the 10 and 22 and 2 further on same line. I would propose one button to show all at once.  I know its a small thing but just wanted to share.

3 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Is this a bug? Liverpool youth product has virtually no interest in signing his first professional contract? Unlikely.

Ben Woodburn_ Contract Contract Offer.png

It depends on a lot of things really. From googling Ben Woodburn he sounds like a future star. His agent could be a money-grabber, you could be a low reputation manager who they are looking to exploit, it could just be agent bravado to get his client ridiculous terms.

Hi agent seemed a bit of a dick tbf - asked for a large wage promise and to be a backup promise, rather than hot prospect.  He doesn't have any favoured club (unless I'm looking in the wrong place) - he was born in Nottingham though.

Still seems a little unrealistic though imo.

16 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Is this a bug? Liverpool youth product has virtually no interest in signing his first professional contract? Unlikely.

Ben Woodburn_ Contract Contract Offer.png

I'll add to the above you could have broken a promise to him but the pic gives you the main clues:

He has locked backup status but you still have him in the U19s and I'll bet he isn't getting enough games to match the status he feels he should have. 

tl:dr He thinks he is good enough for the first team and that you are holding him back therefore unless you are going to pay him loads he wants to go & get first team football elsewhere.

So far the gameplay on 3D seems weird, not as smooth as previous games, players look very childish if you know what I mean, they look like they should be in a kids game and not FM.

Injuries again, 1 friendly and a player out with abdominal strain for 4 weeks, this is a player who in real life never ever gets injured.

Manager generated face is the biggest load of nonsense ever, it looks like a distorted version of yourself, just too weird and funny.

1 minute ago, jc1 said:

njuries again, 1 friendly and a player out with abdominal strain for 4 weeks, this is a player who in real life never ever gets injured.

Does he have a name and could you add a screenshot?

20 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Which is unrealistic.  He's nowhere near the first team in real life and is quite happy in the u19s.

How do you know he is happy in the U19s? Have you spoken to him?

Besides which it isn't RL as soon as you press continue, things happen & situations change.

You could mention it in the data issues forum if its happening in a lot of saves and maybe the researcher could look at it but tbh its probably down to hidden attributes like ambition & loyalty.  I don't know if they have been fixed but its possible they are random and in your save he has high ambition/low loyalty which makes the issue worse.

21 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Does he have a name and could you add a screenshot?

Never saved it, I generally play around with the game getting used to any new features etc, I don't start saving till official release.

It was Lewis Stevenson of Hibernian

Edited by jc1

The only really annoying thing i've seen so far is the completely ridiculous and infuriating issue where players feel that "the club doesn't match my ambition" or "the players at club are not good enough to match my ambition for the future", so they run their contract down then leave, only to sign for team sin the same division, or worse, the division below. One of my star players just moved from my team who finished 14th out of 18 teams in the German second division after being a shoe-in to get relegated, to the team who actually did get relegated from my division.

His reason? Apparently they have a better squad to match his ambitions. To make it worse, the whole season his happiness remarks always said that he "wants to commit his future to the club", yet he would block every contract renewal attempt for the aforementioned reasons. This is happening to several of my players now, and it's really starting to kill the fun. 

Another smaller issue would be seeing my news items to find that i'd apparently had a bust-up with a player who now wants to leave, or is unhappy all of a sudden. I would really not like to be constantly hearing of this from the news items before i have a chance to do anything about it.

Well this is going to put a crimp on my usual strategerie of bringing in lots of trialists.

I've brought in 5 trialists (all of them unattached 17-year-olds; hey, I have an empty U19 team at them moment) so far in preseason. Each one, the media asks if it's possible they could end up as a first-team member. And five times now I've had to say "We don't know. That's why we've brought them in on trial."

Which is bad for me, because in previous editions of FM I've had as many as a dozen players on trial with us at the same time. I've going to get seriously annoyed with the media. :D

On a related note, I tend to start saves as American/unemployed/no badges/Sunday League. A couple of times, the media has asked me to comment on MLS coaches who are on the hot seat. Pretty sure IRL literally nobody would seek out my opinion in this scenario.

Edited by Jason the Yank