Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
baddragon62

Get rid of this awful MUST SAVE Non Feature when starting a game

Recommended Posts

Please get rid of this crap requirement.....  It serves no purpose and fills my hard disk up with junk saves. 

If people forget to save the bloody games, they will only do it once.

Please give us a cancel option..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set the saving option in preferences to the rolling 3 game autosave, set weekly and you will only ever have 3 saves stored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scenario - I start a save, poke around and decide I don't want to keep it, so I have to save it before I can throw it away. 

Scenario - I realise That I have made a mistake with the leagues I am loading - I have to save it before I throw it away.

Happens a lot and it really bugs the hell out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also wondered why the mandatory save when starting a new game. Hope they got rid of it for FM17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Set the saving option in preferences to the rolling 3 game autosave, set weekly and you will only ever have 3 saves stored.

That is not the  points - why am I forced to save the game if I don't want to keep it?  It's like being back in kindergarten....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andu1 said:

I also wondered why the mandatory save when starting a new game. Hope they got rid of it for FM17

At least give us the option to turn it off in preferences...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you click on the quit game option in the drop down menu you will be given the option to save or not- you dont have to save any game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FrazT said:

If you click on the quit game option in the drop down menu you will be given the option to save or not- you dont have to save any game.

Again not a solution - then I have to wait 10 minutes to reload the game....  I want to abort the save I have created. Not abort the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FrazT said:

If you click on the quit game option in the drop down menu you will be given the option to save or not- you dont have to save any game.

He's talking about the mandatory save when starting a new game. Not sure why FM 16 had a mandatory save option as it doesn't make any sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started a game to check this again, as i have forgotten.

Loaded up a nation now and went through all the stuff to set up my manager.
Now i have come to the mandatory save screen, realised i've made a mistake and i want to start all over again.
In order to get away from that screen i am forced to save the game. A save i will delete anyway.

Why am i forced to save the game? I can't do anything but save. There is a cancel button there but it's grayed out.

The above is possibly a scenario a few people can have and i agree with OP.
It can be pretty annoying being forced to save a game you don't want to save at all.
I can't quit the game to desktop. Nor can i quit the game to the game start screen.
Why is it a forced save? What purpose does it serve?

Edited by roykela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tbf it's never been a feature I've particularly liked.  I'd prefer not to having to save everything before I start, but hey ho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just save it, then, when you stop making mistakes at the start and actually have a game that you want, go to 'save as' and delete the ones you don't want to keep before saving the one you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really not a big issue. When I'm editing the game, I start a lot of test games, sometimes just to check, that clubs are in the right division. A lot of that tests would not need a save, but I don't care about the seconds, when it does save and let it override just the last "untitled game". And to be honest there is the one or two times, when I'm happy that I can load it again, because I forgot to check something else. 

 

I think the reason because there is this auto-save is obvious. If they would remove it, they would have to add a lot more confirmation (do you want to save the game, before doing this), which could also become irritating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think it is worth changing then post in the Features Suggestion thread with the link at the top of the forums and the SI staff will read it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KUBI said:

It's really not a big issue. When I'm editing the game, I start a lot of test games, sometimes just to check, that clubs are in the right division. A lot of that tests would not need a save, but I don't care about the seconds, when it does save and let it override just the last "untitled game". And to be honest there is the one or two times, when I'm happy that I can load it again, because I forgot to check something else. 

 

I think the reason because there is this auto-save is obvious. If they would remove it, they would have to add a lot more confirmation (do you want to save the game, before doing this), which could also become irritating.

I agree with the OP on this

I understand why the auto-save option is there, but it used to give the option to cancel as well as save when asking for the file name, which means no extra clicks, so don't really understand why this was changed

And whilst it may not be the biggest of issues, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pompey1978 said:

Of all the things to get wound up about... :D

That was my exact thought. It takes 1 minute and takes up a few Mb and can be deleted as soon as you don't need it. I try and delete previous saves every once in a while to free up a bit of space. Takes 2-3 minutes out of my life. Not the biggest inconvenience is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty, life's a bitch and then you die.

Raise it in the feature request forum. Doubt complaining on here will make any difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i have no issues with it.
I view this as just a discussion; hence why i asked the questions i asked earlier.
Why is it forced? What purpose does it serve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it ensures that your newly created game isn't lost for any reason, save you setting it all up again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason we have this is so that auto saves work correctly. We had instances where a user had auto saves on but the game never saved. The reason being, they never created a save in the first place.

You have to save at the start of the game to enable to auto-save function - likewise doing so gives you the choice to choose what type of autosave you have. Having spoken to users who have lost save games due to a system crash, this can be a painful lesson to learn if you haven't saved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that insightful reply Neil :thup:

Isn't the autosave mechanism programmed to register, and take into calculation, whether there exists a manual save or not?
Wouldn't it be possible to have the game recognise that, so it would create a new save with a generic name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, roykela said:

Thanks for that insightful reply Neil :thup:

Isn't the autosave mechanism programmed to register, and take into calculation, whether there exists a manual save or not?
Wouldn't it be possible to have the game recognise that, so it would create a new save with a generic name?

No the autosave is only activated when the first save happens. In theory I imagine that is possible somehow, but then the user's wouldn't necessarily know where the file has been saved to. In this process everything is made very clear to the user. 

We would very much prefer that no 'workaround' of this becomes public knowledge. So please don't post about it here or anywhere else. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

No the autosave is only activated when the first save happens. In theory I imagine that is possible somehow, but then the user's wouldn't necessarily know where the file has been saved to. In this process everything is made very clear to the user. 

We would very much prefer that no 'workaround' of this becomes public knowledge. So please don't post about it here or anywhere else. Thanks. 

I think i understand what you're saying there and that certainly makes sense to me.
Thanks again :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the reasonable compromise is to have the feature as default, but an option in preferences to turn it off.

 

That would for me - I spend as much time in the editor as playing a save, and I periodically check to see if my updated file loads up correctly without intending to play a game until I've completed the editing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

No the autosave is only activated when the first save happens. In theory I imagine that is possible somehow, but then the user's wouldn't necessarily know where the file has been saved to. In this process everything is made very clear to the user. 

We would very much prefer that no 'workaround' of this becomes public knowledge. So please don't post about it here or anywhere else. Thanks. 

I agree with the OP. Sounds to me like you're sacrificing a better user experience because of the way the internal mechanics work. If that's how auto-saves work then it seems to me that they should work differently, rather than adding an extra hoop for the user to jump through. I'd also get rid of the mandatory save and trigger the auto-save some other way, and either give them a generic name if no save exists, or prompt the user for a name the first time it auto-saves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, baddragon62 said:

Scenario - I start a save, poke around and decide I don't want to keep it, so I have to save it before I can throw it away. 

Scenario - I realise That I have made a mistake with the leagues I am loading - I have to save it before I throw it away.

Happens a lot and it really bugs the hell out of me.

Why don't you start an unemployed save and immediately save it. Use that as a template for future saves?  When you then want to start a new save, just load the template save up, add yourself as a new manager at a club and off you go. You can also add/remove leagues as you go. 

That should save the two minutes of your life that you crave. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

You have to save at the start of the game to enable to auto-save function -

This wasn't the case on FM15 was it?  It would just save as 'untitled game' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mark1985 said:

That was my exact thought. It takes 1 minute and takes up a few Mb and can be deleted as soon as you don't need it. I try and delete previous saves every once in a while to free up a bit of space. Takes 2-3 minutes out of my life. Not the biggest inconvenience is it?

It may take 1 min. for you, my friend, but to the rest of us mortals it might take a bit more. And maybe you don't start that many new games, and so wont have this problem that often, to the rest of us it might be a bit more common.

Now considering this isn't "the biggest inconvenience", at least to you clearly, I do find it a bit odd that you'd take time out to look up this specific thread just to comment against a non-issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to check back but IIRC new all leagues save takes less than 2 minutes to save on a 7200rpm HDD.

if anyone is seeing a new game taking significantly longer to save then chances are there is an issue with where they are saving to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Baodan said:

It may take 1 min. for you, my friend, but to the rest of us mortals it might take a bit more. And maybe you don't start that many new games, and so wont have this problem that often, to the rest of us it might be a bit more common.

Now considering this isn't "the biggest inconvenience", at least to you clearly, I do find it a bit odd that you'd take time out to look up this specific thread just to comment against a non-issue.

Given that it was at the top of the forum when I logged on, I hardly 'took the time to look it up.' I usually only use leagues from 1 country on a save when making a new save and I enjoy spending a lot of time on 1 save. That said, my laptop is 6 or 7 years old and not particularly well taken care of, but it stills takes maybe a minute to save a game, so this minute at the start of a new save is hardly the end of the world. Every so often, I delete a few older saves to free up some space, which takes only a few minutes. Honestly, of all the things FM could improve on, this is pretty far down the list in my opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BJG123 said:

This wasn't the case on FM15 was it?  It would just save as 'untitled game' 

No, it's just when you went to save for the first time the default save game name would be 'Untitled Game'.

Also in that process you wouldn't have the option to change your auto-save preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

Given that it was at the top of the forum when I logged on, I hardly 'took the time to look it up.' I usually only use leagues from 1 country on a save when making a new save and I enjoy spending a lot of time on 1 save. That said, my laptop is 6 or 7 years old and not particularly well taken care of, but it stills takes maybe a minute to save a game, so this minute at the start of a new save is hardly the end of the world. Every so often, I delete a few older saves to free up some space, which takes only a few minutes. Honestly, of all the things FM could improve on, this is pretty far down the list in my opinion...

No one claimed it was a critical problem in need of immediate action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 08:54, baddragon62 said:

Again not a solution - then I have to wait 10 minutes to reload the game....  I want to abort the save I have created. Not abort the game. 

You want to abort a "save" before you've saved it?  Then it's not even a "save".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's there to ensure auto-save works properly, I can't see any reason for messing with it. It would take literally hundreds of saves before it took up any noticeable amount of hard drive space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a minor problem which has been around in many past FM's, but it does annoy me at times.

It takes me an age to settle on a save sometimes, so having to save the game immediately just wastes time when I want to reload the game for whatever reason.

Maybe an alternative would be for the game to require a mandatory save when clicking 'continue' for the first time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they'd get rid of this too. Annoying when I spend ages setting a save up, only to realise halfway through processing it that I've forgotten something, and so I'm forced to waste more time saving a game I'm not going to keep. Why it's forced in the first place, I don't know. Never used to be and we got along fine without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...