Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to create a possession playing style in which the team play a mid-high block with a slight pressing preference off the ball, and play controlled football through a deep-lying playmaker before playing more expansively when an opportunity arises.

Ideally I'd like the team to concentrate on playing in and around the opponents third, and exploiting the space they make if they try to pressure my team off the ball. The creative, expansive movement of my forward players would be crucial to unlocking a team that is happy to allow us to control the game.

Currently I'm thinking:

Mentality: Control

Team Shape: Fluid

Formation: Any with at least a four man back line and a minimum of three midfielders

Team Instructions: Retain Possession, Exploit the Middle

I'm confused because of the idea that mentality is about risk, meaning that higher mentalities make possession retention and a lower tempo a bad choice, yet with mentalities such as Counter, I can expect less time on the ball because of a more consolidated approach to defending.

How can a good possession game be possible? Is my idea of playing even typical possession football?

Does my setup look right? What would you guys recommend I consider?

Any help will be hugely appreciated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleons Possession guide would be a good place to start, he uses Control Mentality and shows you the options to create a possession style of play.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/445500-The-Art-of-Possession-Football

Specifically about what you've asked, if you play a lot of attack duties when using Control then yes your players will take risks that may lose possession even if you make them play safer (Retain Possession etc).  But if you use more support roles there will be less risk or at least fewer players will take risks.  

No instruction is a "bad choice", the mentalities are just a starting point.  Think of it as this way, assuming all other things are equal, a player on support duty with the more risky passes instruction will attempt less risky passes compared to if he was on attack duty with the same more risky passes instruction.  Even though he's instructed to play risk passes his base mentality will still have an effect on how many risks he takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleon's Art of Possession Football is all about playing a possession game on a higher mentality like control. I'd read that.

I wouldn't use exploit the middle for a possession game - it causes your team to aggressively get players forward and try through balls through the middle rather than hanging on to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Specifically about what you've asked, if you play a lot of attack duties when using Control then yes your players will take risks that may lose possession even if you make them play safer (Retain Possession etc).  But if you use more support roles there will be less risk or at least fewer players will take risks.

So mentality AND roles cover risk?

4 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

No instruction is a "bad choice", the mentalities are just a starting point.

So is it not contradictory to play with less risk in possession with a high risk mentality? Or is it more like a gauge system where say, Counter made passing risk 3 whilst retain possession returns it to 0, Attacking 5 becomes 2 etc.?

Reading the article now. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SpartyOn said:

I wouldn't use exploit the middle for a possession game - it causes your team to aggressively get players forward and try through balls through the middle rather than hanging on to it.

I clearly have so much to learn about this game! :lol:

Is there a thread that I can use to check to see if there's anything else I'm wrong about in terms of team instructions?

Edited by DannyLad252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DannyLad252 said:

So mentality AND roles cover risk?

So is it not contradictory to play with less risk in possession with a high risk mentality? Or is it more like a gauge system where say, Counter made passing risk 3 whilst retain possession returns it to 0, Attacking 5 becomes 2 etc.?

Reading the article now. :)

 

Duties rather than roles (Defend, Support and Attack).  Your team mentality is the base from which the players duty is calculated using Team Shape.  Some roles are slightly tweaked (mentality / creative freedom) in the background but its minor.

I guess you could call it a gauge type system, I can't say for sure as there will be a lot of logic that goes into the match engine. Plus I think there's more to it than that, the other way I like to describe Mentality is how forward thinking you want them to play.  The higher the mentality or risk, the more priority your putting on getting the ball towards the opponents goal.  A lower mentality or risk will allow more lateral or backwards passes as they're safer.

Rashidi's videos on how the parts combine to what you see on the pitch are really good.

46 minutes ago, DannyLad252 said:

I clearly have so much to learn about this game! :lol:

Is there a thread that I can use to check to see if there's anything else I'm wrong about in terms of team instructions?

Check the stickies at the top, there's a lot more great guides & videos plus the FAQ covers a lot of the basic "this does X and Y".

Edited by summatsupeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Duties rather than roles (Defend, Support and Attack).

Ha, sorry I meant duties, I just got my words mixed up :lol:

7 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

I guess you could call it a gauge type system, I can't say for sure as there will be a lot of logic that goes into the match engine. Plus I think there's more to it than that, the other way I like to describe Mentality is how forward thinking you want them to play.  The higher the mentality or risk, the more priority your putting on getting the ball towards the opponents goal.  A lower mentality or risk will allow more lateral or backwards passes as they're safer.

This is brilliant, this explains Mentality to me :D

I'm looking through the stickies now! :ackter:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Some roles are slightly tweaked (mentality / creative freedom) in the background but its minor.

But some are tweaked more than others. EG, some roles (typically playmakers) have "more risky passes" set; CBdef has (I think) "fewer risky passes" set. In terms of risk, I'd also include those roles that have "get further forward". So you can set a basic risk level with mentality, affect it further with TIs, and affect it further with duty, and ladle on a bit more with some specific roles and PIs. It'a a game of joyous complexity :)

Edited by warlock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, warlock said:

But some are tweaked more than others. EG, some roles (typically playmakers) have "more risky passes" set; CBdef has (I think) "fewer risky passes" set. In terms of risk, I'd also include those roles that have "get further forward". So you can set a basic risk level with mentality, affect it further with TIs, and affect it further with duty, and ladle on a bit more with some specific roles and PIs. It'a a game of joyous complexity :)

Those are Instructions not Mentality or Creative freedom.

I was talking about playmaker roles having slightly lower mentality in the background, making them play deeper and work the ball around more than other roles but having more creative freedom to do what they think is best with the ball regardless of there instructions.  Trequartista in old versions when you could see the mentality + creative freedom settings had maxed mentality and maxed creative freedom to do what they want without having to do "safe" things like track back.  If you give a CM-S a Roam From Position he doesn't play as a BBM-S does, there will still be slight differences because of background differences in Mentality + Creative Freedom.

Edited by summatsupeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, summatsupeer said:

I was talking about playmaker roles having slightly lower mentality in the background, making them play deeper and work the ball around more than other roles but having more creative freedom to do what they think is best with the ball regardless of there instructions.  Trequartista in old versions when you could see the mentality + creative freedom settings had maxed mentality and maxed creative freedom to do what they want without having to do "safe" things like track back.  If you give a CM-S a Roam From Position he doesn't play as a BBM-S does, there will still be slight differences because of background differences in Mentality + Creative Freedom.

Ah, more joyously complex than I thought, then. Like the old joke about a centipede thinking about walking, the more you know about the Tactical Creator, the more miraculous a successful tactic seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, warlock said:

Ah, more joyously complex than I thought, then. Like the old joke about a centipede thinking about walking, the more you know about the Tactical Creator, the more miraculous a successful tactic seems.

Haha there's some advantages to being old :kriss:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...