Keep losing against... Well, everyone.

Hi all!

Since 2015 came out, I've been completely stumped. 2014 and below, I've done at least reasonably well with some good successes and understandable failures. Yet since 2015 it's been a losing battle between me and the AI.

Whether it's full or classic mode, Lille, Arsenal or Shanghai, I can't seem to produce good results. In fact, since 2016, I haven't won a single classic game. Most of the time I get slaughtered.

I've read pretty much all of the documentations from this site and others regarding tactics, training, team talks and more and have learned a lot along the way, yet I'm still struggling. I even bought myself a whiteboard to write tactical ideas and game scenarios.

The opponent just always seems to be better in every scenario - it's infuriating!

My most common (and preferred) setup is to play expansive football with a mid-high, light team press, in which possession is controlled by a three man midfield consisting of a deep lying playmaker (D), a central midfielder (S) and an attacking midfielder (A), or two central midfielders (D, A/S) and an attacking midfielder (S/A). I use at least one attacking fullback (the other being support) as part of a single pivot defensive system. I alternate between wingers and wide midfielders and prefer an advanced striker over a deep lying striker. I play a sweeper keeper if the team has a decent option.

So typically I end up playing 4231/4411 (sometimes 4123/451/442 if my lack of wins gets to me, but this doesn't help anyway). I almost always use 3 attack, 4 support and 4 defend duties (incl. GK).

I used to play a structured/control setup but I'm now alternating between flexible and fluid.

As a rule, I like to keep my team and player instructions as minimal as possible (apparently this is good, plus it matches my ideals to a tee) - I set my teams out to roam from their positions more in an attempt to create as much space as possible, and offer more unique supportive and penetrative options for the first attacker. I very rarely touch player instructions, as I don't want to delve too far away from the teams setup.

When in-game, I watch the first 15 minutes on full match to see how my team are doing - we almost always end up conceding possession due to what I can only describe is the opponent being one step ahead of us. My team seem slow and hesitant on the ball, as if they're trying to slow down the game. They constantly lose the ball by holding onto it for too long, or booting it unnecessarily! Then when the opponent have the ball, they repeatedly tear us to shreds!

I tend to leave my training and match preparation to my assistant, as I prefer the supervisory sort of role that allows me to concentrate on how to arrange the team in matches according to the opponent and my playing style. I always keep my press conferences as positive and upbeat as possible, and almost always get positive reactions in team talks through a passionate/assertive, do or die for the game encouragement style. I get my scouts to look for players with good off the ball or positioning attributes and choose the best suited players for the team from there.

I've tried completely radical changes as well as gradual differences, I've tried playing different teams of different stature as well as managing such teams (I usually play in the PL, Championship, League 1 or French Ligue 1) yet I seem to have little to no luck in any department!

Ive attached an example of my current tactics, but I'm sure it's nothing that I haven't already mentioned. Any help on this will be hugely appreciated, as I'm currently contemplating pulling my hair out!!

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading through my pain! :lol:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

make sure your CM(D) has close down much less player instruction because he is the guy who protects your back line and needs to be more disciplined and not chase the ball down leaving the back 4 exposed, also you can change the CM(Au) to CM(S) with hold position player instructions or DLP(S). 

automatic duties are pointless,  FB(A) with W(S) or FB(S) with W(A).

First thing i'd recommend is reading the FAQs and the guides, I think you've made a lot of assumptions on what things do in the tactic creator which aren't right.  Fewer instructions isn't necessarily better, its just people tend to just click things because they think they need them rather than analyzing what they have and modifying it as required.  For example people will think "I want to press so max closing down" but they're using control / attacking team mentality so the team is already pushing up and pressing, they've just added to it taking it to extreme levels.

Roaming doesn't create space,  players off the ball attribute will be the main factor in them finding space.  Roaming from position just allows them to move further away, potentially causing overloads or dragging marks further away but taking longer to get back into defensive position and lacking presence in the area they left.

Why do they hold onto it for so long or boot it?  Did they have any other options? Do they lack composure or other mental attributes to successfully do what you expected?

The tactic you've shown will rely heavily on crossing with two wingers, FB-A and FB-S (auto duty on control team mentality is support duty), but who will get into the box?  Why have the wingers in AML and AMR and not ML and MR? (not saying its wrong, but you should have a reason for it).  You have a lot of mobility (AF-A, AM-A, FB-A) but who's providing the penetrating passes?  The W-S will offer some mobility and penetration through dribbling before crossing.  CM-S will offer a bit of presence in the box but does he have chance to get in there before the cross goes in? How big a target are the AF-A and AM-A?

I unhid this DannyLad for the reason that what is discussed here might be of benefit to someone else having the same of similar troubles as you. It is part of the community storehouse of knowledge now :)

I find in a 4231, the 2 CM are most important. CM-D imo is not a holding midfielder. he has closing down often set. and auto roles to me are pointless. I have been playing with a DLP-D and a CM-D in the middle so when the CM-D does close down the DLP is still holding. I have one side IF-S WB-A and W-A F-S. with a striker CF- A and S. for some reason I find the CF-S scores more goals. so back to your 2 CM the roles along with Roam from position Isnt a good idea. but I am by no means that good at this game lol.

been lurking on this forum for a few weeks. watching rashidi on youtube.... so much I never took into account. but as I speak im currently on a 20 unbeaten rub. never managed that before reading

good luck

Apologies for the late reply!

On 10/14/2016 at 00:44, Dr. Hook said:

I unhid this DannyLad for the reason that what is discussed here might be of benefit to someone else having the same of similar troubles as you. It is part of the community storehouse of knowledge now :)

I'm glad that you think this could be useful :)

I've attached a quick example game based on what I did after reading your responses... this game was a real rollercoaster!

Mignolet was on top form (so unrealistic), and we should've lost by about 5 goals. How we managed to score, not once, but TWICE baffles me. Yet we still couldn't hold on :lol: This usually happens nearer the start of the game where everything goes badly - let me know if you notice anything looking at this!

Arsenal v Liverpool (Sad Face).pkm

On 10/13/2016 at 17:44, Dr. Hook said:

Eh, unhid? What happened to him before?

14 hours ago, jazzyboy said:

Eh, unhid? What happened to him before?

Users have the option to hide their posts or threads they started. It's the equivalent of the old delete function. He had his question answered and so then hid the thread. Nothing more than that :)

Archived