How good is your old school fm knowledge?

gechal

4 minutes ago, pallett1988 said:

16/20 for me too - Not bad considering I was 4, going on 5,  when this game came out.

That's not bad, either. For what it's worth, I was 2, so about a couple of years younger than yourself.

I seem to remember doing this quiz when it was first published last year, and if I recall correctly, my score was round about the same level.

9 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I got 13 but since when has John Barnes ever been a left winger?

That was his position & a pretty good one he was to, not been a left winger in England as good as him since

9 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I got 13 but since when has John Barnes ever been a left winger?

19/20 went Dino Baggio, not Antonio Conte - was my first computer game obsession.  Both Don Hutchison and Mike Marsh were rated like that and were immense, but not as good as Paul Warhurst and Darren Eadie (after about 3 years).

On 30/09/2016 at 11:16, Duroliponte said:

14/20, can just about accept Hutchison as English, but...Kharine as Latvian? 

To be fair Hutchison was born in Gateshead and didn't get capped by Scotland until a few years after this game.

11/20 for me, got a few wrong!  Mainly the foreign ones as Nai Lampety was about my only buy off that transfer list.  

Off memory I used to play a 4 player game and buy and sell players between those teams and start with pretty much my dream team, not necessarily the best players but ones I used to like.  Cantona, Shearer, Fowler, Giggs, Mcmanaman, Lampety, Brian Robson, Vinny Jones, Gary Speed, Schmeichael, Tim Flowers, while I always collected the Romanians, Ilie Dumitrescu, Dan Petrescu, and Gica Popescu etc.   I also used to try and get Ceri Hughes from Luton, and Jason Cousins from Wycombe. 

Then your best players would go abroad at the end of the season and you'd have no say in it, while Red Star Belgrade would always knock you out in Europe.  I always enjoyed watching Coventry getting relegated every season till they went to non league, that happened every game!  Then I'd get bored take on a second / third division club and work them up the leagues, normally Cardiff or Swansea.  

I was half expecting Vinny Jones to be in there as he didn't play for Wales until the end of his career, possibly Keith Gillespie also who is listed as Scottish not northern Irish, off memory.  

I used to love this game on my Amiga back in the day, but I really wish they would of included players like Hagi, and Maradona on the foreign players transfer list.  

16/20. 

Got screwed by the nationality of a certain Chelsea GK being wrong (he was russian!) and also for some reason i had in my mind that Bontcho was a goal keeper, so discounted him on that one.

Also got Conte mixed up with Nicola Berti, and randomly Jeff Kenna and Mark Atkins confused. 

Some of those ratings.......all the 20s :D

15/20. Could have done better. Also the Kharin surprise (a Russian international as far as I thought to know). I was much more up to date with English football back then than I am now. Ask me these questions with current players and I would be surprised to name 5 correct.

I was Tracksuit Manager-player back then as I only had a C64.

On 9/30/2016 at 08:51, toon army 06 said:

That was his position & a pretty good one he was to, not been a left winger in England as good as him since

I read this post this morning at work and am still laughing now. John Barnes.

Anyway I got 18 out of 20. Missed the Atkins one and the Conte one.

18/20,have to say Im from Blackburn and used to watch atkins back in the day,he was never def or mid left or right.

he was centre mid.tim flowers said in training he was the best finisher he had ever faced and shearer was there at the time.

so yes got that question wrong!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 17:27, davehanson said:

I read this post this morning at work and am still laughing now. John Barnes.

Anyway I got 18 out of 20. Missed the Atkins one and the Conte one.

Whats funny about it? Which left wingers in England have had more ability since he played? The Barnes you probably remember was far past his prime in the mid 90's

17 out of 20

Mixed up John Harkes with Roy Wegerle, MacAllister with Strachan, and Atkins and Le Saux

Loved that game. I'm amazed I completed my A-levels with that game and an Amiga sitting at home.

11 hours ago, toon army 06 said:

Whats funny about it? Which left wingers in England have had more ability since he played? The Barnes you probably remember was far past his prime in the mid 90's

Ryan Giggs, Robert Pires, Arjen Robben, Eden Hazzard & Cristiano Ronaldo. 

I am nearly 40 so remember well John Barnes's prime. He was great to watch, but to say there hasn't been a left winger in England as good as him since him is just not true.

Conte threw me as I'm sure on the Italia version he was a DMC or even MRC, where as Berti was always a popular MLC and that's who I plumped for. However should have known really that an English quiz would push it toward an English related answer. That's how I got the Pep answer, although I was thinking Luis Enrique at the time.

Nice to relive some memories though, especially on a Sunday as id rarely get out of bed and play this, mouse next to me and my toe pressing the spacebar during matches :D

12/20

Got Gazza wrong as I didn't check the attributes :(

Missed a few of the obscure (to me) English players I wasn't familiar with. Pre-CM97-98, anything not featured on Sensible (World of) Soccer is off-limits...

Archived