3rd place with R.Sociedad, now I can't win

Hello.

I started with an easy team like Chelsea and won the league with 32 wins, 4 draws & only 2 losses. I scored 107 goals and conceded only 23. I'm not a tactical genious, so I'm pretty proud. The losses came against Liverpool away (they finished 2nd) and Hull at home.

However, I thought I won it too easily, so I decided to leave Chelsea. Then I took charge of Real Sociedad who came 13th. In my first season as a R. Sociedad manager, I used the same tactic with Chelsea (but i Changed DM to AM), and did pretty well. We came on a 3rd place which I'm really really proud of, because we had a low budget so I didn't sign many players.

Now in my 2nd season I wish we could challenge Barcelona & Real Madrid, but I would be happy to get a top 4. We started away against Real Madrid, and lost 1-4. No surprise. But the results after that match has been as following:

Real Sociedad 0-1 Granada
Levante 2-2 Real Sociedad
Olympiacos 3-1 Real Sociedad (Champions League)
Real Sociedad 1-2 Espanyol

Do I need to completely change my tactics in order to win in the 2nd season? Because I often struggle in the 2nd season. I don't wanna change my tactic completely, because I am pretty sure my tactics aren't the biggest problem because I've got great results with it...

If it is balanced then you shouldn't need to completely change it.  Unless your really relying on counter attacks but after some success and reputation increase opponents are happy to sit and play for a draw.  Sometimes people recruit players they like or have bought in other saves but they don't fit the tactic they're using.

It looks like you have a defensive problem, how were those goals conceded?  Posting the tactic would help to or its just guess work.

Seems a pretty classic case of 2nd season syndrome tbh.

User takes a mid-table/relegation candidate team, probably uses a direct attacking tactic which exploits the space left by opposition teams who think they are better resulting in the user team overperforming.  The following season the opposition teams see you as more of a threat, play more defensive and leave less space resulting in the tactic becoming less effective.  User fails to recognise that the situation has changed and doesn't adapt the tactics to reflect the change in circumstances.

7 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Well yes but if he used the same tactic with Chelsea and it worked then it's a little strange, because opponents will sit out vs Chelsea.

Might just be a little slump with morale exacerbating it.

He changed a DM for an AM between Chelsea & Sociedad which is a pretty big change & would significantly alter how the tactic plays I would imagine.

Although without seeing it we can't say for certain.

I played with a direct passing style, I changed from:

Direct passing
Pass into space
Hit early crosses
High tempo

To:

Short passing
Unticked pass into space
Work ball into boss
Unticked high tempo (changed it to normal tempo)

I also added "be more expressive".

Results after making the changes:

R. Sociedad 3-1 Villarreal
R. Sociedad 2-2 Celta Vigo
Racing 1-1 R. Sociedad
R. Sociedad 3-1 Porto
R. Sociedad 4-1 Bilbao
Villarreal 1-4 R. Sociedad

I also changed back from AM to DM. Also changed our mentality from control to standard. Looks good so far. Thanks guys.

Archived