Sports Interactive Community
stockportguy86

What do you make of the new FM based on the teaser?

FM17 opinions based on the teaser?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What do you make of the new FM based on the teaser?

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • Wait till start of October/Mid October to decide on it

Based on the teaser yesterday what you guys think? in my opinion I might wait just a little bit more time to decide whether to love it or hate it, but

I'm definitely going to get it.  

New Staff members, vastly improved 3D match engine, more efficient use of the space in the inbox...

Yep, pretty happy so far

Too short... Very few information.

hope to get more video/news in the next days.

i guess/hope that video was just a small teaser, and that in the next day SI reveal more about the game.

37 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

i guess/hope that video was just a small teaser, and that in the next day SI reveal more about the game.

The video IS a teaser. So we will probably get more about the game in the future.

44 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

What do you think of the teaser?  I hope it was just a small teaser... :rolleyes:  That's exactly what it is.  More information will be revealed at some point.  Obviously.

Poll doesn't really seem fair.  There was so little in there that it's hard to go to any extremes.  What can you really say from the teaser that you hate, for example?  Or love for that matter.  It's a meh, albeit a positive one.  I'll probably order it, as I usually do.  This hasn't changed that in either way.

Like they always say, the bad comes with the good. how it will balance is another story.  For me personally FM16 was great in some way but when it came to crosses and central defenders kinda was iffy.  the 3D match engine requires heaps of corrections which are yet to be made from 2 seasons ago.

Me going to wait till after the winter patch fixes.  It's always the same story season in season out.  First half life span of the product is all about bugs,  Second half is all about the fixes.  

26 minutes ago, forameuss said:

What do you think of the teaser?  I hope it was just a small teaser... :rolleyes:  That's exactly what it is.  More information will be revealed at some point.  Obviously.

Poll doesn't really seem fair.  There was so little in there that it's hard to go to any extremes.  What can you really say from the teaser that you hate, for example?  Or love for that matter.  It's a meh, albeit a positive one.  I'll probably order it, as I usually do.  This hasn't changed that in either way.

Tell me something, If you never heard about football manager and never play it, and you saw that teaser about this nwe game... did you get the urge to play it?

The first impact it very important. 

For all the old gamers that teaser could work, because they are already related with the game. But for new gamers, imo it fails.

I wasn't expecting big features announcements yesterday, but i was expecting more. 

At least i was expecting something that got me thinking... "i want to play this... now". :)

I mean there have been some doubters that were saying "it's too short", "the ME isn't as good as it has been" ect but give it time it's only JUST a teaser :seagull:

1 minute ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Tell me something, If you never heard about football manager and never play it, and you saw that teaser about this nwe game... did you get the urge to play it?

The first impact it very important. 

For all the old gamers that teaser could work, because they are already related with the game. But for new gamers, imo it fails.

I wasn't expecting big features announcements yesterday, but i was expecting more. 

At least i was expecting something that got me thinking... "i want to play this... now". :)

I've essentially answered this in the other thread, because you said pretty much the same thing.  Essentially though, for summary, short of just putting out straight lies, there isn't really anything that could attract a completely new player.  But do they really exist?  Is there really anyone who is in the group of being interested in a football management game, but is completely and utterly unaware that FM exists?  

Basically though, this is completely irrelevant standing on its own.  No-one's going to come across the features when they come out and say "that's all well and good, but did you see that 30 second trailer at Watford?  That was terrible!  They're not getting my money those blacguards!". 

@forameus

I've seen your answer in the other thread.

You are taking my words and distorting what i have said. In any point i've said that the teaser would make the people not want to buy the game. 

I've said that, as a teaser, it fails in his purpose... teasing people.

11 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

@forameus

I've seen your answer in the other thread.

You are taking my words and distorting what i have said. In any point i've said that the teaser would make the people not want to buy the game. 

I've said that, as a teaser, it fails in his purpose... teasing people.

I beg to differ.  Seems like it's teasing people pretty well...

People are teased about the quality, or the lack of it, not the content per se. :)

But, let's agree to disagree and move on.

I actually disagree Keyser... the teaser shows that it is the a football management game with polish, a fully functioning 3D match engine, and if looked at carefully, shows lots of details that you won't find on any other football management sim around...  Any new user brand new to the series looking for a management sim would instantly be intrigued imo..

And yes, it is just a tiny teaser, mainly for those already invested in the series tbh...  more will come by mid october as mentioned at the end of teaser.

I have hopes, as usual. The 3D animations looks much better than FM16, I'm excited by the new roles, and a new match engine. Hopefully further features will be presented soon. 

Dunno if it was just lighting or what but the 3d engine looked improved and the animations looked much improved.

I'll be buying it anyway because I'm weak and hopelessly addicted.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)
Zebras suck

15 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Dunno if it was just lighting or what but the 3d engine looked improved and the animals looked much improved.

I'll be buying it anyway because I'm weak and hopelessly addicted.

I liked the zebras.

That teaser did not tease me one bit.
Had that been a striptease i would've been just as teased from a bunch of one-legged grannies doing a pole-dance :D

Not really a teaser but if they had something like the trailer below, i wouldn't need to even see a single in-game screen
in order for me wanting to buy it. It's the good ol':

These teasers/trailers/announcements are getting worse by the year for my personal liking.
It gives me the feeling of "here we go again with just another one"-kind of thing.
It feels less thought through every year. Sort of like bigger budget but worse quality.

To be honest I was pretty much 100% convinced by the opening shot of the players walking out on the pitch.

Walking out on to the pitch, people!!!! Hopefully there are post match scenes too. I almost can't bear to bring myself to hope for trophy celebrations......

After watching the teaser, i've placed an order.  Really impressed with the 3D match engine.  :applause:

Only 2 hopes, the full back crossing issue is resolved and there are more hairstyles for the 3D match engine, ie long hair, mohawk, afro, etc.  Based on the teaser, i've failed to see any changes to the hairstyle.  Keeping my finger cross for the actual one though.  :thup:

41 minutes ago, YKW said:

To be honest I was pretty much 100% convinced by the opening shot of the players walking out on the pitch.

Walking out on to the pitch, people!!!! 

oooooooooooo, how groundbreaking. :D

To be fair it's a nice touch, but most of the time I just play in 2D like the good old days tbh. :D

1 hour ago, roykela said:

That teaser did not tease me one bit.
Had that been a striptease i would've been just as teased from a bunch of one-legged grannies doing a pole-dance :D

Not really a teaser but if they had something like the trailer below, i wouldn't need to even see a single in-game screen
in order for me wanting to buy it. It's the good ol':

These teasers/trailers/announcements are getting worse by the year for my personal liking.
It gives me the feeling of "here we go again with just another one"-kind of thing.
It feels less thought through every year. Sort of like bigger budget but worse quality.

Still the best FM video!

Well here is what i said in the pre-purchase post 

Interesting camera angle in the trailer. Puts you closer to the action and will be cool to see during replays. Maybe now that they are making closer camera angles we can even have a manager camera. Let's just hope the camera angles switch automatically to the side of the field the ball is in and we don't have to do it every time.

I noticed other things:

• -There is a new staff type called Data Analist, which seems that he gives you some summary on the analysis you could watch of matches, the prozone thing.
  • -There may be a new staff type called Press Officer, i'm also assuming the one in the video is a regen and he looks like lex luthor (0:21).
  • -There are a lot of green boxes around the news, but most of the media news remain the written same as it has always been, only the way they are presented has been changed.
  • -You get a news message from players gaining nationality status/home grown.
  • -In the managerial style besides selecting tracksuit/tactical manager you can select a style such as Motivator, Youth Development and the others i can't read what they say.
  • -U18 match reports are shown in a better way, enabling you to see ratings from the players and the youth league table.
  • -Team report interface has been changed so you can see quicker the best players for each position without having to click on the position to see the list.
  • -Regen faces seen to be in the layout from pre-FM16, with their neck showing up. Probably allowing better for regen facepacks including a shirt.
  • -Pre-season training camp in another country, not sure if this is possible in the current game. Maybe its what the tour is.
  • -Team report similar to scout reports, showing strenghts on weaknesses and stats, but they all use the same icon for now.
  • -Tactic screen same as FM16, with the brick blocks for players.
  • -A quick start to a new game which enables you to select a team, with an advanced setup button likely showing the more detailed options for setting up the game.
  • -A news item detailing current stats of offered players for loan and transfers.
  • -Player profile screen remains the same.
  • -Screen showing players determination and leadership when selecting captain.
  • -A change of the end of season financial report, shows in a green box news item and some more detail about new sponsorship deals. Player shirts are also shown instead of just listed. This screen likely shows up only from end of season, so still no way to see most sold shirts at any time.
  • -Scout report interface change, showing where the team attacks from most of the time and a heat map, among other things.
  • -Monthly financial update interface change.
  • -Pre-match injury report interface change.
  • -Some news messages says FW as if another staff member forwarded them to you. One shown is when a player of yours is a man of the match. Still the same written news script for it.

Most of the changes seen in the video are interface improvements, not "new" features as advertised, which may be shown in other videos.

6 minutes ago, Silver Twilight Sparkle said:

Pre-season training camp in another country, not sure if this is possible in the current game.

It is.

Along with the reddit crowd. "Meh."

Teaser video = meh. Images taken from the video = curious. The new staff for example, sounds fun. I'm more interested in seeing if they've made the tactical side of things more accessible. I will find out by how many questions my nephew asks me when he picks it up. >_> (And my Irish mate, who thinks I'm a tactical guru for deviating from the 4-4-2, much as I like him, I'm no guru. :( )

29 minutes ago, Silver Twilight Sparkle said:

I noticed other things:

• -There may be a new staff type called Press Officer, i'm also assuming the one in the video is a regen and he looks like lex luthor (0:21)
  • -In the managerial style besides selecting tracksuit/tactical manager you can select a style such as Motivator, Youth Development and the others i can't read what they say.
  • -A news item detailing current stats of offered players for loan and transfers

The first one I had missed and is a great spot. The second one looks to me like it says "templates" which would be pre-set combinations of the manager attributes, rather than something new. The third one it also looks like you can set reasons for players to be loan listed.

can SI please stop changing the UI every year and moving things around just to make it look new? it has been getting worse every year for 4-5 years now. an example is the transfer offer screen or the contract negotiation screen. the main offer is all the way to the left while the installments are all the way to the right. just to negotiate for a transfer/contract you have to go all over the place on the screen from left to right to bottom to top while before it was all neatly next to each other. it was so annoying on fm16 demo that i had to give contract responsibility to my assistant just to avoid seeing that screen.

2 minutes ago, Romanista. said:

can SI please stop changing the UI every year and moving things around just to make it look new? it has been getting worse every year for 4-5 years now. an example is the transfer offer screen or the contract negotiation screen. the main offer is all the way to the left while the installments are all the way to the right. just to negotiate for a transfer/contract you have to go all over the place on the screen from left to right to bottom to top while before it was all neatly next to each other. it was so annoying on fm16 demo that i had to give contract responsibility to my assistant just to avoid seeing that screen.

Did you actually watch the video? It all looks very much the same as last year, except more green. :D

As long as they have done more work other than make the 3D visually better. It's a manager simulation, I don't care about the graphics, it's not FIFA, I use the 2D anyway because the players look too wooden on 3D, upping the graphics will not make them look like they are actually playing a game of football. Watching on 3D reminds me of playing sensible soccer. If I hadn't played a version of FM before, that teaser definitely wouldn't have got me wetting my appetite.

I love FM and will always get every version, I am not hating on it at all even though it might seem like I am. I just wish they would concentrate more on the management side of the game rather than the 3D side.

Was going to wait with the purchase of FM17 because of releases of Civ VI and BF1 but honestly, despite this just being a teaser, my addiction might get the best of me..!

Many improvements of things I really like. Despite them being small, still important!

I don't think I've ever met a single individual whose decision to purchase the latest FM game is reliant on what new 'features' there is.  Out of people who have played the game before that is, which presumably applies to everyone who posts on here. 

Screenshots and explanations of what new features there is are pretty meaningless without hands on experience of how they would enhance your own game, as people play the game in lots of different ways.  I wouldn't announce any features, but heavily push people to try the demo to try the game for themselves.  But then that's just my pragmatic, common sense approach to life in general. 

I just...bought the game. Can't wait to play it.

But I want to give my opinions.. I think SI chose the wrong way to promote it.

Customers don't want to buy a game that they don't know much anything. Look at BF1 or FIFA or any other games, they always give you many details as much as possible. For BF1, they even announce it 5 months before the release, or at least FIFA17, they put the trailer with details 3 months before. But with Football Manager,  they choose to announce and release all the information just before 2 weeks of release? I wouldn't care how much information FM provided in the last teaser, because it's only a teaser. but it's supposed to release that sooner, now it should be a trailer with many information already.

I know different companies have different strategy, and SI may say we do this everyyear, every year is the same. But that's a bad way to promote.

Yes, we can decide when to buy it, buy now or wait for the announcement. But what about the loyalty offer, does the loyalty will expire when the announcement occurs?

Just like, Iphone is a really good phone, thousand of users love it. But does IPhone says before the live announcement event, "We will released the IPhone 7 and all information details about it in the next 2-3 months, now no information, but please just buy it now!! " Does Iphone say that?

I bought FM17 not because of the teaser, the teaser gave me nothing, I bought it because I love it very much, I know many of the pre-ordered users think the same.

I just want to offer my feedback regarding the teaser and the promotion of FM.

First off, I have bought FM since FM11 and love the game(s). Especially with FMT it is really great and each year it evolves.

Now, as to the teaser, it is that a teaser, not much info but something to see finally.

I am sure there are reasons why the game is being promoted in a way it is but for me personally for the past couple of FMs it has just been a pain to hunt down the information to find out what is new. I remember the times when there were videos and you could see them and see what new stuff there is. It could also be as simple as putting it on the website and just listing it with some pictures and maybe add a video?

Last year, I thought was the worst (for me personally), with these small bits and pieces via twitter and each day a "new" feature. It just doesn't work for me and probably others who have a busy work life and come to the game to enjoy it. I always anticipate the release of FM but to really have to "work" and hunt down information to figure out what is new is really ... annoying.

Now this year, we have this teaser. Ok. And now sometime mid-October, when you can probably play the pre-release version already we will find out the features? So far, as much as I am anticipating the game, I am simply not intrigued. There is no info. And this is coming from someone who loves the game. How would this help promote to new people? To make the game grow? Maybe I am in the minority but it might be that others feel the same.

Many other games or any tech or car, or whatever you want to buy, or even before you watch a movie, they will make you want to buy it. For my personal preferences, I don't want to buy FM17 (yet). You have given me no reason to even though I would love for you to give me a reason.

1 hour ago, rooneyviet said:

I just...bought the game. Can't wait to play it.

But I want to give my opinions.. I think SI chose the wrong way to promote it.

Customers don't want to buy a game that they don't know much anything.

But you did just buy the game.  You can say it's the wrong way to promote it all you like, but sales figures are always going to trump feedback on it.  If they find that pre-order numbers are up, then they've done their job.  I know you then say that you didn't buy because of the teaser, fair enough, but a single sales figure doesn't take that into account.  Same as throughout the games industry, the practices won't stop as long as people still buy into them.

On the positive side though, SI do seem to try and shake up the formula each year in terms of marketing.  They don't always get it right, and certainly didn't last year.  It's too early to tell whether they've got it wrong this year too.  But at least they're trying different things.  Anyone that believes they're anywhere near as bad as some of the rubbish that other developers have tried to peddle are wrong.

Nowhere near enough info, despite the bold claims of 20k media items, among other things.

I need to see far more meat on the bone.

1 hour ago, tyro said:

I just want to offer my feedback regarding the teaser and the promotion of FM.

First off, I have bought FM since FM11 and love the game(s). Especially with FMT it is really great and each year it evolves.

Now, as to the teaser, it is that a teaser, not much info but something to see finally.

I am sure there are reasons why the game is being promoted in a way it is but for me personally for the past couple of FMs it has just been a pain to hunt down the information to find out what is new. I remember the times when there were videos and you could see them and see what new stuff there is. It could also be as simple as putting it on the website and just listing it with some pictures and maybe add a video?

Last year, I thought was the worst (for me personally), with these small bits and pieces via twitter and each day a "new" feature. It just doesn't work for me and probably others who have a busy work life and come to the game to enjoy it. I always anticipate the release of FM but to really have to "work" and hunt down information to figure out what is new is really ... annoying.

Now this year, we have this teaser. Ok. And now sometime mid-October, when you can probably play the pre-release version already we will find out the features? So far, as much as I am anticipating the game, I am simply not intrigued. There is no info. And this is coming from someone who loves the game. How would this help promote to new people? To make the game grow? Maybe I am in the minority but it might be that others feel the same.

Many other games or any tech or car, or whatever you want to buy, or even before you watch a movie, they will make you want to buy it. For my personal preferences, I don't want to buy FM17 (yet). You have given me no reason to even though I would love for you to give me a reason.

I fully agree with tyro here, since the move to social media the forum & its users seem to have been forgotten about.

We shouldn't have to go looking for information as much as we've had to the last couple of years, everything that is released on twitter/facebook etc should also be announced on the forum as an updated sticky.

The teaser is a good example of that, its out there but on the official forum it took a user to add it to his post halfway down a random page in a sticky thread when SI at the very least should have been adding it to the OP of that sticky.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

But you did just buy the game.  You can say it's the wrong way to promote it all you like, but sales figures are always going to trump feedback on it.  If they find that pre-order numbers are up, then they've done their job.  I know you then say that you didn't buy because of the teaser, fair enough, but a single sales figure doesn't take that into account.  Same as throughout the games industry, the practices won't stop as long as people still buy into them.

On the positive side though, SI do seem to try and shake up the formula each year in terms of marketing.  They don't always get it right, and certainly didn't last year.  It's too early to tell whether they've got it wrong this year too.  But at least they're trying different things.  Anyone that believes they're anywhere near as bad as some of the rubbish that other developers have tried to peddle are wrong.

The publisher should think as a customer, do they want to buy a game with no information?

And sales for FM always up, because it's a great game. But what if, they've promoted differently, what if they announce all the information sooner, like any other games. The sales would have gone much much better. Because the customers know WHAT they're buying. People buying right now because 1) loyalty offer. 2) love the game and believe in FM. But not everyone feels the same. Even they still end up buying the games, they would not be happy about the situation. They want more information, the fans deserved that, and nothing's wrong with that.

50 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I fully agree with tyro here, since the move to social media the forum & its users seem to have been forgotten about.

We shouldn't have to go looking for information as much as we've had to the last couple of years, everything that is released on twitter/facebook etc should also be announced on the forum as an updated sticky.

The teaser is a good example of that, its out there but on the official forum it took a user to add it to his post halfway down a random page in a sticky thread when SI at the very least should have been adding it to the OP of that sticky.

I love the loyalty discount but I really want to know if I should upgrade. Didn't really like FM 2016 (the crossing issue really triggers my ocd). 

This year and last year marketing campaign made me more disconnected and less enthusiastic. If I hadn't discovered the great LLM expansions I would have stopped buying the game TBH.

Every person I know including myself discovered the game through somebody who was already playing (my uncle introduced me to CM 99/00 and haven't missed a version since). SI should cherish free evangelists by providing information and acting more transparent. 

Beta is out within a month and I still don't know if we will get more information before the loyalty offer expires. I can't buy a game without knowing what is going to be in it. If the game looks great I would be hesitant to buy it knowing I missed my 20%.

Edited by fabioke

37 minutes ago, rooneyviet said:

The publisher should think as a customer, do they want to buy a game with no information?

Which you just have.  So obviously there's people out there who do.

There will be information available before the game is released.  Pre-orders are completely optional.  Nothing is particularly unusual about any of this.

14 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Which you just have.  So obviously there's people out there who do.

There will be information available before the game is released.  Pre-orders are completely optional.  Nothing is particularly unusual about any of this.

you clearly didn't read my post.

What do we have here? 2-3 features out of +1000 new features? The teasers give me nothing to excites about. I dont want the teaser give more, I want they announce sooner, instead of only 2 weeks before the release. No game would do that.

yeah, we can wait. The purchase decision is on us. But that's a really bad way to promote.

1 minute ago, rooneyviet said:

you clearly didn't read my post.

What do we have here? 2-3 features out of +1000 new features? The teasers give me nothing to excites about. I dont want the teaser give more, I want they announce sooner, instead of only 2 weeks before the release. No game would do that.

yeah, we can wait. The purchase decision is on us. But that's a really bad way to promote.

I clearly did.  You're complaining about the teaser and the terrible promotion, yet you've gone ahead and bought the game in spite of it.  If it's so terrible, and such a bad way to promote, then surely you wouldn't have bought it, right?  

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I clearly did.  You're complaining about the teaser and the terrible promotion, yet you've gone ahead and bought the game in spite of it.  If it's so terrible, and such a bad way to promote, then surely you wouldn't have bought it, right?  

I didn't say it's terrible. I say I love the game. That's why I bought. I just dont like how they announce the game so late. I just gave my opinions, hopefully they can listen, but if not, there's no problem for me because I already bought it.

I just say for other users who want to buy the game but less information given.

15 minutes ago, rooneyviet said:

I didn't say it's terrible. I say I love the game. That's why I bought. I just dont like how they announce the game so late. I just gave my opinions, hopefully they can listen, but if not, there's no problem for me because I already bought it.

I just say for other users who want to buy the game but less information given.

It's the 20th September. The game is out 4th November. That's not late at all, what people lack is patience.

So many people demanding more information. Some might judge that to be a good teaser. :D

22 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's the 20th September. The game is out 4th November. That's not late at all, what people lack is patience.

I tend to agree with this.

They gave out the release date on 17th August (I think). That's roughly a 12 week lead time on a game that is always released once every 52 weeks. Its now about 6.5 weeks until release. I mean; how far in advance is it even sensible to start spilling details on an annual release that we know is coming anyway? Especially given that the current iteration is still so popular and has so much time still being invested into it.

Personally, I'm content to let the marketing machine play out and see how I feel about it at the end. I expect it will be very unlikely I will care about their strategy. I am just very keen to know what FM17 will bring, and genuinely don't care how they tell me. I really liked Miles' video for FM15. I also liked the drip-feed from twitter for FM16. Its all just interesting information for me. Obviously, I'd like to know as soon as possible, but then that's hardly a revelation.

For this teaser; I was a bit underwhelmed at first as I had built it up so much. My own fault. But it was when people started breaking it down and posting screenshots that I think the real teaser came out.

Edited by Pingdinho

2 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

everything that is released on twitter/facebook etc should also be announced on the forum as an updated sticky.

I'd like to see this.  Not everyone uses Twitter/Facebook/et al (I don't) so it'd be a nice addition to have something pinned here as well.

If somebody hadn't posted on here that the teaser was going to be played, I'd have been completely oblivious that it even existed.  I'm so last century :D.

46 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The loyalty expires at 14th Oct, that's when the information details are announce.. I dont know if that makes sense... maybe SI did that on purpose for some reason?

5 minutes ago, rooneyviet said:

The loyalty expires at 14th Oct, that's when the information details are announce.. I dont know if that makes sense... maybe SI did that on purpose for some reason?

Probably, but not maliciously like you seem to be implying.  

The loyalty discount applies most to those who have bought numerous copies over the past few years.  They'll presumably be the ones who'll know what to expect from the next version.  Hence, they're offered an incentive to give SI some early cashflow without knowing much about the game.  Perfectly understandable business decision.

In fact, I hope they announce the features the very minute after the loyalty bonus ends, because of the seethe it'll cause.  Won't make any difference really, as most sites will probably offer it at a reduced price in the run-up to release anyway.  

16 minutes ago, rooneyviet said:

I surely hope you're not right.

If you think people are disgruntled now...

Edited by fabioke