[SUGGESTION] Improved tactical training

Weston

At the beginning of every season, or any other time that I had a lot of turnover or tactical change, I would set team training to focus on tactics, assuming this would help them gel within the system. However, I recently read that doing this doesn't actually improve your squad's familiarity with your formation or instructions, but simply grows their attributes dealing with such (decisions, team work, etc.), essentially creating another middle step between your actions and the end result.

It would be nice if FM could add some sort of training that actually directly influences your club's immediate tactical familiarity, just like coaches will have players use a particular formation or instruction in practice scrimmages behind closed doors. I know you can improve these things through implementing your changes in friendlies, but if I switch from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3 and sign 5 players, for example, I don't want to waste time training their general inclinations when I should be able to give them specific experience with the details of our system before they ever step on the pitch at all.

7 hours ago, Weston said:

At the beginning of every season, or any other time that I had a lot of turnover or tactical change, I would set team training to focus on tactics, assuming this would help them gel within the system. However, I recently read that doing this doesn't actually improve your squad's familiarity with your formation or instructions, but simply grows their attributes dealing with such (decisions, team work, etc.), essentially creating another middle step between your actions and the end result.

Team training on Tactics will improve attributes. Every other category (apart from Team Cohesion) will improve attributes, including Fitness.

Setting the Match Prep Training to Tactics (and it even lists the tactics you set) will improve familiarity.

34 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Team training on Tactics will improve attributes. Every other category (apart from Team Cohesion) will improve attributes, including Fitness.

Setting the Match Prep Training to Tactics (and it even lists the tactics you set) will improve familiarity.

Oh, so the only way to improve familiarity is within the context of specific match preparation, not as a general team training focus? Thank you for showing me it's possible at all, though I do still think it would still be useful to make it an option in general. Say it's July; I don't really care about tactically preparing just for the friendly that week but would like the team to practice with the formation(s) with more long-term aspirations in mind.

12 minutes ago, Weston said:

Oh, so the only way to improve familiarity is within the context of specific match preparation, not as a general team training focus? Thank you for showing me it's possible at all, though I do still think it would still be useful to make it an option in general. Say it's July; I don't really care about tactically preparing just for the friendly that week but would like the team to practice with the formation(s) with more long-term aspirations in mind.

Training is due an overhaul at some point, so I'm sure we'll eventually see changes there.

At the moment, yes, it's preparation before matches only. Training definitely isn't my area and I can't say I have an opinion on it either way. The only thing I'd like to see is familiarity broadened to role familiarity for players. Currently, I can play a CM as a DLP/D one week and a CM/A the next, wildly different roles, with no penalties at all.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Training is due an overhaul at some point, so I'm sure we'll eventually see changes there.

At the moment, yes, it's preparation before matches only. Training definitely isn't my area and I can't say I have an opinion on it either way. The only thing I'd like to see is familiarity broadened to role familiarity for players. Currently, I can play a CM as a DLP/D one week and a CM/A the next, wildly different roles, with no penalties at all.

Yeah, admittedly training is probably my weakest area in the game so I'm not as capable of discussing it as many others in this forum are, but that definitely helps me to know I can do something at least close to what I wanted in the match prep.

Your last comment reminds me of the other gray area I think we discussed before in another thread concerning the ambiguities of players being used out of position, such as those supposedly incapable of being in a spot that their stats suit well vs someone experienced in a spot whose stats aren't as strong in (like the classic LB in the RB spot vs youth RB in the RB spot conundrum) etc. I always check to see which side of the backline my center backs prefer to play in, but how much effect that has I haven't a clue. Is it just a decision making thing as well, or perhaps composure? Same for when I look to sign players used to my current formation at their past clubs; does that make them inclined to quicker acclimation to my familiarity? I assume but am not sure.

By that same token it could also be nice to see it also expand to teammate chemistry (Buffon-Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli for Juventus/Italy comes to mind) adding to the familiarity on the pitch. Say for example you manage Italy, even if you never played those four together for a year straight they would still have great cohesion if you suddenly did purely because their club ties would carry over. Once I managed Cesena and when Genoa got relegated I bought three of their defenders, so they would have been used to playing with each other already, but I felt like I had to start over building up familiarity in my own back line.

2 minutes ago, Weston said:

Your last comment reminds me of the other gray area I think we discussed before in another thread concerning the ambiguities of players being used out of position, such as those supposedly incapable of being in a spot that their stats suit well vs someone experienced in a spot whose stats aren't as strong in (like the classic LB in the RB spot vs youth RB in the RB spot conundrum) etc. I always check to see which side of the backline my center backs prefer to play in, but how much effect that has I haven't a clue. Is it just a decision making thing as well, or perhaps composure? Same for when I look to sign players used to my current formation at their past clubs; does that make them inclined to quicker acclimation to my familiarity? I assume but am not sure.

As far as playing a player out of position is concerned, "only" Decisions will be affected. So overall, if he has the attributes, he'll be fine, but may make some bone-headed decisions now and then. In the long run, it's always a good idea to train the player to play in that position to become Accomplished.

The side a DC (or MC) prefers to play has no real effect. It's more something that helps AI team selection. You won't notice a difference in performance if you select a DC to play on the 'wrong' side.

• 3 months later...

Archived