Sports Interactive Community
retardo89

Can't launch after checking retina in preferences on MacBook Pro

Hi,

I can’t get past the launch screen with loading messages in various languages. This started after I checked the retina option in preferences and restarted the game.

This skin was active when I restarted the game http://www.fmscout.com/c-fm16-skins.html?id=3346 and I’ve been using it for a long time without any problems.

I have tried the following:

• Removed the “Caches” and “Preferences” folders.
  • Verified integrity of game cache in Steam.
  • Launched in windowed mode.
  • Restarted my computer.
  • Manually edited “enable_retina_preference.xml” and “enable_retina.xml” values to false but the files are overridden when I start the game.
  • Temporarily removed the skin from my skins folder.

MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014. 
OS X El Captian 10.11.
2,8 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris 1536 MB
I have the latest patch available on Steam.

I’ll reinstall unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by retardo89

Which version of 10.11 do you have are you sure you are up to date?

Thanks for the quick reply @Lucas Weatherby! I wasn’t. I’ve updated to OS X 10.11.6 now. I’ve tried to reinstall the game and clear the cache and preferences again but I’m still stuck on the loading screen.

One thing you haven't tried is deleting the Sports Interactive folder in Documents. Can we try that?

Move your save games and any other data to another place and try again (you'll need to put whatever stuff you've saved back)

I deleted the entire Football Manager 2016 folder in there and it started again :D

Retina was checked in preferences but the resolution was gigantic at 2560px instead of 1280px@2x. There are no other options as you can see in the attachment.

I have unchecked retina and moved my files back to Documents and I can load my previous saves. I guess I'll just have to continue playing without retina. 

I've tried to activate the skin again but the game freezes when I click on confirm and I'm stuck at the loading screen if I restart. I'm starting to think that the retina setting was a coincidence. Maybe FM was updated today and the skin became incompatible?

Retina.png

@Lucas Weatherby This makes no sense at all but here's how I got it working eventually:

1. Removed everything in my Documents folder, started the game, closed the game, and pasted all of my folders back. The game works but crashes when I change the skin.
  2. Removed everything in my Documents folder, started the game, closed the game, pasted my folders back one by one, started the game, and repeat... Everything worked with the custom skin until I moved my "filters" folder back. There must have been a corrupt file or something in there. It's strange that it doesn't crash with the original skin though.

In neither cases 1 or 2 do you mention whether the game was started with a cleared cache and preferences or not. 

Every time you start FM it will use the current cache and preferences or create a new set when launching. Can you confirm in either of those cases whether there was a cache or not? 

There does seem to be some indication of a corruption somewhere, it would be good to know if this is with a particular filters file or not. Are you able to upload your filters folder and we can take a look?