Sports Interactive Community

Hi,

Whenever I play FM, it causes my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) to perform really badly. It causes everything to slow down, especially when the save is loading or when I am playing through days, it causes my laptop processing to be really slow e.g. if I was watching a video, the video would go really slowly/crash/not play properly as a result. I'm playing windowed currently because that was recommended to me. Browsing the internet or just using the computer is really slow and difficult

Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

What are your FM resolution settings? You mention windowed mode but are you using Retina? 

How many leagues and players do you have loaded on your save?

59 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

What are your FM resolution settings? You mention windowed mode but are you using Retina? 

How many leagues and players do you have loaded on your save?

I've got retina disabled because I know it would worsen performance.

I've attached leagues/players loaded but I don't feel its too much, cpu should be able to handle it fine (I've got lower league database enables so I could take control of my club, way past the lower leagues now though)

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 14.12.55.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 14.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 14.13.41.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 14.13.29.png

107,000 is far beyond any kind of recommended level and will definitely contribute to longer loading and processing times that you have described, particularly the longer your save game progresses. The save file becomes larger as you progress in a save game and over time will require more and more of your system resources and attention, taking it away from other things you want to be doing at the same time.

I can only advise that you reduce your database size by removing the number of leagues and players. Or, don't multi-task when playing such large simulated save games.

4 hours ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

107,000 is far beyond any kind of recommended level and will definitely contribute to longer loading and processing times that you have described, particularly the longer your save game progresses. The save file becomes larger as you progress in a save game and over time will require more and more of your system resources and attention, taking it away from other things you want to be doing at the same time.

I can only advise that you reduce your database size by removing the number of leagues and players. Or, don't multi-task when playing such large simulated save games.

Can I ask what the recommended player pool size is? So I know how many leagues to remove & which ones I should remove - does having e.g. Bundesliga II add to the player pool or would I have to remove all of the German leagues to reduce the player pool?

Thanks!

Edited by selek101

Mine does the same, a few less leagues loaded will help a bit but ultimately it isn't the best machine do be doing this kind of processing and multi-tasking on.

Edited by Craigus89

Bump - 

Can I ask what the recommended player pool size is? So I know how many leagues to remove & which ones I should remove - does having e.g. Bundesliga II add to the player pool or would I have to remove all of the German leagues to reduce the player pool?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 14.12.55.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 14.12.49.png

I can't suggest a particular recommended size tailored to you, this is just something you need to figure out for yourself what you are comfortable with. 

I generally keep below 30,000 myself and can happily play through saves well over 50 seasons. Others are happier playing bigger size databases but it depends on what you want from your save. The "recommended" limits in game on FM are purely from a hardware perspective, and don't take into account personal preferences with regards to patience, etc. 

It does look like not only have you chosen a lot of leagues but you have used custom database to retain extra players. One factor to extra processing times looking at your screenshot will be the extra leagues loaded in England, there are a very large amount of players/teams going down to that level, and with matches taking place on Saturdays generally you will have longer than usual processing times as opposed to non-match days. 

I'd first try removing lower leagues you no longer need and see if that helps. If its still not to your liking then you will need to resort to a new save game and keep to a more sensible player count level.

11 hours ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

I can't suggest a particular recommended size tailored to you, this is just something you need to figure out for yourself what you are comfortable with. 

I generally keep below 30,000 myself and can happily play through saves well over 50 seasons. Others are happier playing bigger size databases but it depends on what you want from your save. The "recommended" limits in game on FM are purely from a hardware perspective, and don't take into account personal preferences with regards to patience, etc. 

It does look like not only have you chosen a lot of leagues but you have used custom database to retain extra players. One factor to extra processing times looking at your screenshot will be the extra leagues loaded in England, there are a very large amount of players/teams going down to that level, and with matches taking place on Saturdays generally you will have longer than usual processing times as opposed to non-match days. 

I'd first try removing lower leagues you no longer need and see if that helps. If its still not to your liking then you will need to resort to a new save game and keep to a more sensible player count level.

Can I not just remove leagues in the add/remove league bit? Because, being 6 years into the save, starting again would hurt!

That will help some, yes - do try that. 

My point is they will only remove the players and extra load caused by the leagues loaded, not the extra custom retained players you've added to your save.