Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
jamiestunna

My successful 4-1-4-1 with Arsenal

Mediafire link:

https://www.mediafire.com/download/4hwzwd7i2ofaya4

Hi guys, I'm new to this and I thought it would be nice to share the formation that has worked wonders for me in my save in FM16.

I manage Arsenal, and I've played for three seasons and am in December in my fourth. 

I've won the following

1 Champions League 

2 EPL titles

3 Capital One Cups

1 FA Cup

1 Club World Cup 

The tactic has proven to be very effective against all kinds of teams including possession based sides and counter attacking teams. 

I seem to score all kinds of goals from counters, or during a lengthy possession spell. 

It is very important to have pacy fullbacks who can beat their man, and that's why Bellerin and Jorge are two of my best players. Also having a pacy striker with good dribbling and passing ability as well as teamwork and vision is paramount even if he's not the best finisher around. My top striker is Gabriel Barbosa who is also a pretty good winger, and has all the qualities listed above. 

Another important aspect is ensuring that my AMC is playing a role that means he comes deeper to get the ball, because my defensive midfielder will rarely get forward or run with the ball. This is why I use advanced playmaker with attack duty. 

I don't play my AML & AMR as wingers because my fullbacks can fulfill those crossing duties. All I need is one extra ball player and one player who looks to get into the box and support the striker which is why one of my wide midfielders is an advanced playmaker and the other is an inside forward with support duty (Not attack because I need him to track back often).

I also have the "look for overlap" instruction enabled so my fullbacks look to get forward and deliver deadly crosses into the box.

The play out of defence instruction means the team will often look to build play from the back and my defenders will not immediately play a long ball after my goalkeeper has played it short to them. 

The control mentality means my team will look to hold possession, but paired with higher tempo, the team also does well on counters.

You could also use an attacking mentality, it has worked for me when I've tried it,  but I'm too chicken to use it consistently, even though I know it doesn't mean I'll immediately be open at the back.

I've given my center backs instructions to close down less so as to avoid them getting caught out of position. This is very important as I've tried it without the personal instructions and we would always get opened up by teams with fast strikers and good AMC or teams that played 4-1-1-1.

I hope you have fun with it, and please feel free to leave a comment if you feel it can be improved upon.

Also feel free to look at the player instructions and let me know if any changes can be made to do better. 

PS: I'm a bit of a novice at FM games, I only started in 2013, and as such, my tactic may not be universal. I've only used it in this save and with Arsenal, and so I don't know how it would work with other teams. 

Tactics page.JPG

Swansea city.JPG

Southampton.JPG

Man united.JPG

Hull city.JPG

Draw with Blackburn.JPG

Team instructions.JPG

Edited by jamiestunna
I've added a few screenshots to provide more information

Some decent information there although a little more would be useful but welcome to the FM forums.

A few screenshots would be beneficial though so that people can see the formation and tactic; perhaps a screenshot of your results and maybe one or two specific games too.

I'll take the plunge though and d/l it and take a look myself.

Hmmm, link not working. I keep getting this message:

The www.mediafire.com page isn’t working

www.mediafire.com redirected you too many times.

Thanks for sharing.

Moved to the Downloads section.

Perhaps it's just me but I can't get on mediafire at all and I've tried different browsers too.

This is the tactic I am going to try to remove my Symmetrical  ocd, *takes a deep breath*.. here goes

any suggestions on a mentality for Newcastle, as let's face it they are not one of the strongest teams in the division, or is Control the most well suited, I am considering Counter when I play the bigger teams

Started this tactic at the Bournemouth game  only thing I changed was to add the work into box TI as we were not getting a lot of our shots on target. 

I use Fitness training first 2-3 weeks pre season   high

Team cohesion till season start                                high

Balanced through the season                                average/low

and match tactics till the tactic is fluent 

overall, I am enjoying the tactic, we score, we don't concede a lot and we play good football with the goalscoring spread nicely across the attacking players

so I am certainly a fan, good job mate

Newcastle United_  Senior Fixtures.png

Title defended and Capital one Cup won.. 

and a league season without defeat we only lost our 6th round FA cup match 1-0 to Liverpool. 

Quarter final to Juventus 1-1 on away goals 

changed passing to mixed and selected be more expressive, also switched the Midfield DLP to a RMP

English Premier Division_ Overview Profile.png

Edited by peterbolam78

Hey guys, I'm having some mixed results w/ the tactic. I've played as Everton and Leeds and have played some really beautiful football at times, but get absolutely shredded by through balls and counter attacks other times. I'm playing with everything set up just like in the OP, ideas?

is the tactic fluid, I saw a marked improvement once it was fluid, the defence for me was one of the best aspects of this tactic

It was, but not completely fluid. I was using a similar tactic already that I had come up with, but it wasn't 100%. Since I've gotten it completely fluid I've seen a great deal of improvement.