Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
penza

Tactical Tendencies

Hi all,
I was wondering what tactical trait you have in FM16.

1- Plug and Play 
2- Play different home and away tactics
3- Play same tactic but change mentality home/away
3- Play same tactic but change mentality (within the game)

Thanks all!

None of the above.  The best way to play is to make a solid tactic that can can be tweaked via mentality or shape. In fact one person could be very successful with a 433 with one team, another could take the same tactic with another team but struggle because the attributes don't fit the system. 

I usually have 2 tactics.  I then change the mentality / shape or even player roles depending on my interpretation of what I am seeing in the 2D view or match situation.

For me it's 2- Play different home and away tactics.

It's what I've done for years and seems to work pretty well for me. I have a third tactic which is more of an alternative option, usually an experimental tactic for the season or a tactic to turn to when there are injury problems with the squad.

18 hours ago, Rashidi said:

None of the above.  The best way to play is to make a solid tactic that can can be tweaked via mentality or shape. In fact one person could be very successful with a 433 with one team, another could take the same tactic with another team but struggle because the attributes don't fit the system. 

I didn't think there was a "best way" to play the game.

There certainly isn't a "best way" to play football outside of the game.

37 minutes ago, hoppo1982 said:

I didn't think there was a "best way" to play the game.

There certainly isn't a "best way" to play football outside of the game.

Those are two totally different things as Rashidi pointed out in the quoted part of your post.

You are right in general there is no "best" way to play football but depending on the opposition some approaches will obviously work better than others in an individual match. 

That is not the same as the "best" way to play FM as a solid tactic can come in many different shapes & forms dependant on various factors.

None of the above. I play 1 core tactical setup, then the thing I tweak the most during a match is tempo, but also roles/duties (mostly duties) of my players. In addition to that I have 1 gung-ho attacking setup (for when I really really need that goal) and 1 setup for when I just want to secure a narrow lead in the last minutes of the match.

Edited by thomit

I tend to use one particular formation but use the various tactical options (roles, duties, mentality) to adapt in case of trouble.

I think it's about finding your sweet spot.

Your core and peripheral character preferences act as guides.

The romance of one formation over another can be seductive like a beautiful woman to the extent it's all about shape and movement.

I have a single primary formation, but can switch to 2 alternatives. They aren't usually drastically different either. For example with a 4-2-3-1 I have a 4-4-1-1 as an alternative (simply dropping the wide men back for a more compact shape) and a 4-3-3 as the alternative (switching AMC to DMC depending on personnel available).

I can tweak anything that I feel though depending on opposition and players available. Sometimes I tweak roles and duties, others I tweak instructions, and sometimes it is the mentality. It really depends. I have a feel for what I need to do when though.

14 hours ago, ianscousemac said:

How much effect do you think tactic familiarity has on tactics?

Interesting question, I think it has some bearing but not enough to make a balanced tactic look bad. In my saves, my tactic is always accomplished. Its never been fluid, because I keep changing mentalities every single game. We still win, but I believe if I saved the tactic in three slots, each with a different mentality and shape then I shoudl be fine. I tend to change mentality and shape in almost every game. I start out defensive structured and then can go attacking fluid.

On 8/22/2016 at 17:12, Rashidi said:

Rashidi, do you have a concise write-up somewhere of how you make the decision to change mentality and/or shape during a match? What things that you see on the pitch trigger a change of one of those?

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 23:26, eriktous said:

Rashidi, do you have a concise write-up somewhere of how you make the decision to change mentality and/or shape during a match? What things that you see on the pitch trigger a change of one of those?

I'd be interested in that too!

On 23/08/2016 at 22:44, Cougar2010 said:

Those are two totally different things as Rashidi pointed out in the quoted part of your post.

You are right in general there is no "best" way to play football but depending on the opposition some approaches will obviously work better than others in an individual match. 

That is not the same as the "best" way to play FM as a solid tactic can come in many different shapes & forms dependant on various factors.

I tend to have a narrow and and a wide formation trained up so that the basic formation is familiar. I switch between them if what I am doing  is either not working or I want to conserve a lead. 

I tend to tweak positions/roles a lot, TI's moderately, and PI's rarely

On 03/09/2016 at 10:26, eriktous said:

I think that depends more on feel than anything else. I tend to play on extended highlights so I get a feeling when we are not going well.