Football Manager 2017 Release Date and Pre Purchase Details Announced

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Maybe it's about time goalies can commit penalties and can play as more aggressive sweeper keepers too, Neuer-style.

Alongside to that, which likely won't be revealed much in the videos, further refinement to AI picks and decision making. My benchmark for that is how well does that supposedly premium AI manager do with a team, and how well does a human player do with the same team, and how much has that player really  stretch to outperform it long- and shortterm, provided he doesn't make any bad decisions along the way, bad management in the form of chopping stuff randomly around whenever he hits onto a run of no results, etc. (as so frequently the case due to bad myth going places everywhere -- i.e. tactics get "cracked" or need to be changed wholesale at every turn to keep AI "guessing", when realistically any run can be influenced by the fixture list already and rotten luck, or indeed, good fortunes).

There's still stuff there that might not hugely affect every game, but it costs points and impacts conversion stats long-term. Like, it's no fun watching the "elite" say fielding CRonaldo as a lone forward off a flat midfield formation and making him run far ahead of everyone else via the job assigned to his, which naturally is more pronounced when the opposition's defense drops deep immediately also killing any possible through ball alongside to it, so when he gets the ball he tends to be CRonaldo and blast it -- he would be slightly more inclined to even if he actually HAD options around his. Makes him easier to 'fend off too. There's stuff in there that lacks behind totally Beginner's Guides from like five years ago. It's very much understood that FM ain't a hardcore tactics sim first and foremost, but that's a bit extreme as it is nothing you see much of when watching top level football... There might be gaps, and players occasionally isolated, but it might be due to lack of gelling and communication and fluidity, not repeating on each spell of possession due to some deliberately tactical choice. I totally would not mind if the assistants were upgraded to the level where should the human manager insist on doing it all himself, they'd optionally flat out tell him what effect some of this can have, like phoning in of everything, perhaps even better yet as you suggested introducing visual cues on the tactics screen what things look like when transitioning from defense to attack. Alongside improvements to AI picks naturally comes improvements to assistant manager picks themselves too, should he go with the assistant either way. Speaking of which, possibly and arguably much needed improvements to assistants could very well feature in there -- whilst it was introduced with the best of intents, I shudder to think of anyone taking most of his advice at "face value", in particular during a match. :-)

55 minutes ago, noikeee said:

So nobody starts with crazy, wild speculation on what's going to be announced today? (beyond the little bits we already knew from the teaser) I'm lacking a bit of imagination to kick that off myself. Not really expecting much other than a few carefully polished details here and there, a few extra media stories, refinement all around, etc.

Fingers crossed for a big advancement in tactics, I'd like to see a revamp of "fluidity" which is plain senseless/ambiguous to me; clearer distinction between off the ball and on the ball shape (even if all the roles and stuff are kept the same and it's just some UI demonstration of how your tactic should look like once you grab the ball); more sophisticated options for dealing with transitions and for pressing...

Maybe it's about time goalies can commit penalties and can play as more aggressive sweeper keepers too, Neuer-style.

This.

And maybe even get rid of the tedious morale manager which is called team talks.

Team talks and squad meetings etc are going nowhere, theyre part of a managers job.  

My guess is something new to do with the 3D manager whether it be on the setup menu or during the 3D engine they have new animations. Or being able to do similar to FIFA's gameface..

Other than that I would guess new media stuff, news items etc  and polishing what is already there. Not expecting anything earth shattering 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's half an hour long. It's probably going to feature more than one topic...

Well, I would expect SI to be able to talk about one subject for half an hour ;) They are the creators afterall.

Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

My guess is something new to do with the 3D manager whether it be on the setup menu or during the 3D engine they have new animations. Or being able to do similar to FIFA's gameface..

There's been a clue in plain sight for a while I think - Miles Jacobson's Twitter profile pic looks to me as if it's a new manager face generator.

I might be wrong, like.

45 minutes ago, Pompey1978 said:

There's been a clue in plain sight for a while I think - Miles Jacobson's Twitter profile pic looks to me as if it's a new manager face generator.

I might be wrong, like.

I hope they didn't spend too much on developing such a non-sense thing! Last year 3D manager creator was a joke! 
You could play with it for a few minutes if you liked dressing dolls as a child. But in the other hundreds of hours of playing FM nobody cared about it (and you couldn't see it anywhere, except the face as profile photo but we could upload photos in many of the past editions...)

14 minutes ago, MangerdWanlar said:

I hope they didn't spend too much on developing such a non-sense thing! Last year 3D manager creator was a joke! 
You could play with it for a few minutes if you liked dressing dolls as a child. But in the other hundreds of hours of playing FM nobody cared about it (and you couldn't see it anywhere, except the face as profile photo but we could upload photos in many of the past editions...)

A fair and balanced report there...

The manager face creator was good for career threads, so a good addition for me.  The 3D creator was a rare bit of ridiculousness in an otherwise po-faced game.  Plus it got people really raging that it was included, which is always fun.

14 minutes ago, MangerdWanlar said:

A lot of people uploaded photos of themselves, so why not have the ability to look like a regen... as a game character and then as part of the game world?

I could be wrong, but i'm not expecting any major new features.

We know that it will be a new staff roll (Data Analyst), but i don't know the impact that it will have in the game. It seems much more like a new way to show the information that we already have in the game.

In the last two version of the game (15 and 16) i only play the Touch version (in a Ipad) and i really like it, and to be honest i think that for FMT17 theres no new to add much more. Improve what's already in the game, and that's about it.

Of course, the editor would be a nice new feature. :)

I got the fealing that the game as reach a level that it's very hard to present a new feature that would blow us away. The game already covers 99% of  everything that happens in the football world, so what can they do?

6 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

I got the fealing that the game as reach a level that it's very hard to present a new feature that would blow us away. The game already covers 99% of  everything that happens in the football world, so what can they do?

Training. It can be tedious, but I for one would like to have the option to conduct the training sessions (drills) on a daily basis. In current terms, I do not have enough tools to evaluate what is the transfer from trainings to games. Analyzing what is your training focus vs in game results does not seem enough.

3 minutes ago, matisptfan said:

Training. It can be tedious, but I for one would like to have the option to conduct the training sessions (drills) on a daily basis. In current terms, I do not have enough tools to evaluate what is the transfer from trainings to games. Analyzing what is your training focus vs in game results does not seem enough.

I would be surprised at this given training was actually simplified/made more intuitive (depending on your point of view, I go for the latter personally).

i gotta agree with crispypaul,

The tendency in the last years was to simplify the training (and also the tactics) in the game, so i would be very surprise if they went in the opposite direction by giving us more tools to manage in the training.

In the end of the day you are the manager, not the field coach. We decide the major aspects of the training (defensive, attacking, balanced...) and the rest of the training team to the rest.

What could be improved, should be the output (information) that we received from that training.

3 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

i gotta agree with crispypaul,

The tendency in the last years was to simplify the training (and also the tactics) in the game, so i would be very surprise if they went in the opposite direction by giving us more tools to manage in the training.

I would have probably given up on FM if they hadn't done what they did with the tactics creator.  The sliders were completely user unfriendly IMO.

29 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

A lot of people uploaded photos of themselves, so why not have the ability to look like a regen... as a game character and then as part of the game world?

A photo looks like me (mostly)

But spending hour to create a face like mine... No way! (Even Miles' twitter faces are bad in my oppinion) And what about the suit? You won't see it anywhere in the game after the creation...

For a hardcore FM player 3D (face, manager or match) is not an important point. For a hardcore player from the world of "60 FPS, AA and textures" this 3D looks ridiculous!!!

Just now, MangerdWanlar said:

But spending hour to create a face like mine... No way! (Even Miles' twitter faces are bad in my oppinion) And what about the suit? You won't see it anywhere in the game after the creation...

For a hardcore FM player 3D (face, manager or match) is not an important point. For a hardcore player from the world of "60 FPS, AA and textures" this 3D looks ridiculous!!!

Hyperbole. It could take 5 mins for all you know. So what if a "hardcore" player doesn't care about it? It's the sort of thing you set up once.

4 minutes ago, MangerdWanlar said:

It's incredibly cringey to talk about "hardcore" players.  Like they're in any way better than what I assume you would call "casuals" or something similarly derogatory.  

Some people like things you don't like. 

6 minutes ago, MangerdWanlar said:

What is this? For a hardcore player of 60 fps,aa and textures? Lol, so FM is not capable of 60 fps, aa, textures?  This is ridicoulous, even myself being able to run some decent games at 150 fps and a player of FIFA, the 3D doesn't look 'ridicoulous'. Its bad compared to anything 2016 graphics but thats not something most FM players care about. If you buy FM for the graphics, well I dont know anyone who does that tbh. 

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

It's incredibly cringey to talk about "hardcore" players.  Like they're in any way better than what I assume you would call "casuals" or something similarly derogatory.  

Some people like things you don't like. 

Hardcores pre-order FM before any detail is revealed,  casuals don't :p

24 minutes ago, matisptfan said:

Whilst I can kinda understand where you are coming from training within FM serves two purposes - To improve a player & the match training.

In terms of the player its function is either to improve attributes, learn a position or learn a PPM, nothing more & nothing to do with form.  The output we see as users is the new position, new PPM or improvement in attributes.

While the match training simply gives your team a small boost in that area.

Training overall I feel is the area that has chopped & changed the most over the last 20 years and SI have never come up with something that fits perfectly but what we have now is about the best we've had.  Can it be improved further, probably but it needs an idea that works, is fairly straight forward for the user & benefits the game - Answers on a postcard.

2 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

What is this? For a hardcore player of 60 fps,aa and textures? Lol, so FM is not capable of 60 fps, aa, textures?  This is ridicoulous, even myself being able to run some decent games at 150 fps and a player of FIFA, the 3D doesn't look 'ridicoulous'. Its bad compared to anything 2016 graphics but thats not something most FM players care about. If you buy FM for the graphics, well I dont know anyone who does that tbh. 

You missed the point...

FM players DON'T buy it for the graphics!

And players who care about FPS and AA and ulta-high settings and thing like that (or simply used to FIFA/PES) they won't buy FM for the graphics and they will think it's from early 2000's

6 minutes ago, MangerdWanlar said:

FM players DON'T buy it for the graphics!

i don't understand how you can make this assumption.

I could agree that older players, that start playing the game in the 90's, don't give much about the graphics.

But the newer players, i think they absolutely care about it and many only play the game with the 3D views and thats a key point for them to buy (or not the game).

At least, this is the opinion i have when i read in the foruns.

2 minutes ago, talhak said:

Better graphics is always welcomed but that's all for FM. There are lots of other critical areas such as AI, ME, scouting network, interactions.

Exactly! There are lots of areas to develop. When they are all "good" then should come some graphics.

But this little graphics (from 2001 graph to 2002-2003 graph) and little developing here and there is like buying full priced DLCs every year :(

3 minutes ago, CaptainBanana said:

Well ."hardcore" player, wich are FM players for years, don't care about the 3d that much. 

Sorry but thats just wrong.

I would fall into the hardcore category having played since the very start and I care about the 3d.  I've used it since it was introduced in 2009 and would never go back to 2d just like when 2d was introduced I never went back to commentary.

Yes the ME is more important than the graphics but that doesn't mean we shouldn't care about the graphics or try to improve them.  At the end of the day a good FM ME with top end graphics would be amazing for everyone.

8 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Sorry but thats just wrong.

I would fall into the hardcore category having played since the very start and I care about the 3d.  I've used it since it was introduced in 2009 and would never go back to 2d just like when 2d was introduced I never went back to commentary.

Yes the ME is more important than the graphics but that doesn't mean we shouldn't care about the graphics or try to improve them.  At the end of the day a good FM ME with top end graphics would be amazing for everyone.

I play 3d too since 2009, but they probably would need to make a new engine from scratch to have top end graphic. It would take years and cost a lot money.

I'd like to see more of a link between training choices and tactical fluidity. For example, a high tempo pressing tactic requiring more fitness training in order for the tactical familiarity to become fluid. 

Not going to hold my breath as I know it's going to be a tricky concept to implement without over complicating things. 

Archived