Sports Interactive Community
GeorgeKellow

New to Football Manager!

Hi All, 

New to FM (Coming over fro Fifa (Lol)) I support Arsenal and hibernian (If you mention Liverpool, I will hurt you ;)) 

I need tips for beginners, I have never really played this game before so soem tips would be really helpfull! 

I want to start with either Arsenal, Hibernian or Weston-super-Mare (Where I grew up :D ) 

Any tips? Thanks 

Best advise is to start a save & create a tactic that you think will see your team play in a way you;'d like in real life, see how it goes & accept that if things are not working out it generally isn;t the games fault. From there you can persevere on your own or head over to the tactics forum to read some of the guides or the various threads discussing different tactical approaches people have taken.

4 minutes ago, Barside said:

Best advise is to start a save & create a tactic that you think will see your team play in a way you;'d like in real life, see how it goes & accept that if things are not working out it generally isn;t the games fault. From there you can persevere on your own or head over to the tactics forum to read some of the guides or the various threads discussing different tactical approaches people have taken.

What about transfers, can I search for any player I like to bring in? Is it a difficult game to get in to? 

Depends how much detail you like.

You can search for any "well-known" players (getting them is another matter depending on finances, club status etc. - Messi isn't going to join Hibs for example). After that, the amount of players you're aware of i.e. that show up in searches, depends on your scouting network.

If you want a less daunting start I'd recommend "Touch" mode, which is more streamlined.

Do be prepared to have setbacks as you go along, and learn as you're going along.

Agree with Barside re. tactics advice. To complement that advice, be realistic in your tactics. A common mistake people make for example is trying to play like Barcelona, or a gung-ho attacking style. But of course your tactics have to be appropriate to the players you have and the level you're playing at, so yeah be realistic from the outset. :)

Edited by Lord Rowell

2 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Depends how much detail you like.

You can search for any "well-known" players (getting them is another matter depending on finances, club status etc. - Messi isn't going to join Hibs for example). After that, the amount of players you're aware of i.e. that show up in searches, depends on your scouting network.

If you want a less daunting start I'd recommend "Touch" mode, which is more streamlined.

Do be prepared to have setbacks as you go along, and learn as you're going along.

Agree with Barside re. tactics advice. To complement that advice, be realistic in your tactics. A common mistake people make for example is trying to play like Barcelona, or a gung-ho attacking style. But of course your tactics have to be appropriate to the players you have and the level you're playing at, so yeah be realistic from the outset. :)

What is touch mode?? 

What players are available will depend on the database size & active nations that you select for your save, currently FM has just over 300,000 real players in the active database.

As for getting into the game it can be difficult & there is steep learning curve if you're new to the genre but if you're the type of person who likes to discuss players & tactics with anyone who will listen to you then so long as you're prepared to put in the hours I'm sure it'll have you hooked before you know it.

Edit: Touch is a game mode that focuses on tactics & transfers, it's a good starting point for new players to learn how the match engine reacts to different tactics & strategies as there are fewer outside influence such as team cohesion, tactical fluidity & hard to please players that all add unwanted variables to how your decisions will influence match day.

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

What is touch mode?? 

When you load up the game you have an option for FM Touch - a more streamlined experience. As opposed to the full simulation - you'll see the options when you load up the game.

1 minute ago, Barside said:

What players are available will depend on the database size & active nations that you select for your save, currently FM has just over 300,000 real players in active database.

As for getting into the game it can be difficult & there is steep learning curve if you're new to the genre but if you're the type of person who likes to discuss players & tactics with anyone who will listen to you then so long as you're prepared to put in the hours I'm sure it'll have you hooked before you know it.

Thats what I hoping! I am football mad :) My mum brought me this home from work today as a gift 

2 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Thats what I hoping! I am football mad :) My mum brought me this home from work today as a gift 

Be patient, and you'll love it. I've been playing this game for...21 years I think :D since CM2 - the one with the commentary disk for those old enough to remember :lol:

Edited by Lord Rowell

Just now, Lord Rowell said:

Be patient, and you'll love it. I've been playing this game for...21 years I think :D

Bloody hell! I am doing a touch mode with Arsenal, can I pm you if I get stuck? 

3 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Be patient, and you'll love it. I've been playing this game for...21 years I think :D since CM2 - the one with the commentary disk for those old enough to remember :lol:

I feel like I've missed out on the joy of Clive Tyldsley by not having a PC back then, I was a poor student & had to make do with my Amiga version of the original & Premier Manager.

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Would rather you didn't to be honest for lots of reasons. :)

If you get stuck, try and work it out yourself first. If you get really stuck, ask specific questions on the forums (take care to post in the right forum) - there's loads of really good help available here. BUT - the joy I think is learning by yourself - that's how I enjoyed it the most back in the 1990's - little to no help then online.

Just now, Barside said:

I feel like I've missed out on the joy of Clive Tyldsley by not having a PC back then, I was a poor student & had to make do with my Amiga version of the original & Premier Manager.

Ah the memories...

I wasn't long out of uni / back end of uni its all a blur, scratching a living. A kind friend loaned it to me (had to fight me to get it back :D). Mine was on PC. Also did play Premier Manager but the CM / FM experience much less linear and more immersive. Also of course that it had real players with recognisable attributes. I could manage my Sunderland who were s***, had s*** players, s*** ground at the time, but they were my s***. :)

There's the off the field stuff and there's the on the field stuff... training and development, player retention and acqusition, player happiness and chemistry, team formations, team instructions, player instructions.

Both are equally important.

I don't know of anybody who proffessors to be master of both.

Treat the game as you've been treated or would like to be treated and remain true to your real life character... a twist of words maybe... but can have a profound effect.

It's the problem recognition part of problem solving that's hard to master... and the endless game descriptions that don't provide their usefulness which can feel overpowering.

Put it this way... if you had 60 seconds, how long would you spend on recognising the formation difference between your team and your opppostion, what team instructions would be neccessary and what player instructions would be neccessary to neutralise the geographic differences.

I might say formations should take 10 seconds, team instructions 20 seconds, player instructions 30 seconds.

Games should be easy to learn and hard to master and good game developers shorten the learning curve.

Edited by theopert

On 14/08/2016 at 19:46, GeorgeKellow said:

Oh, one of the things to remember is the formation you see on the screen is your defensive formation, and the roles/duties would influence how you look in attack. Bear that in mind, in case you end up copying Sky Sports and throwing on a 4-2CM-3-1! XD

Arsenal would be the easiest of those three. 

Watch Rashidi's videos on YouTube when making a tactic. Some bits will confuse you, but you'll eventually learn. 

Im sure any of us will help if you need it :)

I would highly recommended touch mode first before trying the hard core side of the game.

Read as much as you can on tactics and pre season strategy.  Staff roles and their attributes.  The game does have some bugs lying around but not to a level where it takes over.

It will take you a long time to learn the game so be patient it's not fifa. It is very realistic and en joyful.   Good luck and remember to be patient.

Is it considered "cheating" the AI to implement custom tactics?  When I say custom tactics, I don't mean altering instructions within the pre-defined tactics within the game, but I mean coming up with formations the AI itself doesn't/can't use.