[Discussion] Youth Team/Setup Improvement

flogside

Hi,

Id like to see a big improvement in regards to the youth team features in FM. I understand the legality issues behind including under 16's so assuming that SI cant find a legal workaround for that then at least can we not have regens/newgens used and start including more youth teams i.e Under 14's, 13's, 12's etc etc. Personally feel this would add a lot more realism and excitement to the game, bringing a player through the youth ranks to the first team and so on!

Also, to go hand in hand with this id love to see a feature that used to be in another football management sim (think it was LMA) and thats having legitimate academies in game. We all know that a lot of clubs have these worldwide and although some of these are in game they are not used well enough. I think we need to have a whole new section for academies and be able to set them up ourselves, the scouting system to be redeveloped to implement these features. I just feel this would add more realism to the game and a ton more excitement as the majority of people love unearthing hidden gems, training up youngsters and the whole scouting/transfer element of the game. Well, at least i do anyway!

Ive wanted these features for years now but year in year out it seems like this part of the game is pretty much ignored and not improved upon!

Love to hear others views on this (in particular SI :D)

In that same vein it would be nice if we could create newgen placeholders for current players too young to legally include. Remember when Odegaard first broke into the scene and they went out of their way to get parental permission to add him? Well needless to say that is the exception to the rule; for example, Italian prodigy Scammaca is never included as he is still too young. This can be fixed by simply creating a player with a different name and a newgen face to put in his place, kind of like how FIFA / PES / those old Winning Eleven games used to do it (Mutu was Murgu, Baggio was Lon Barron). This way we can still interact with them in a realistic way as opposed to them just disappearing in the world, and more dedicated players can even go through the motions of editing them to their liking as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/08/2016 at 20:02, flogside said:

start including more youth teams i.e Under 14's, 13's, 12's etc etc.

with you could contract more staffs to work specifically one of those teams, it could help to  boost the players and they would play since early, having match experience.

On 10/08/2016 at 20:02, flogside said:

I think we need to have a whole new section for academies and be able to set them up ourselves,

should do as there was in FIFAM and create club academies around the world, 

I know its going a bit beyond what a manager would/should do, but I like the thought of having youth academies outside the home nation. Could start with camps, which would be cheaper, temporary, and could possibly produce a signable regen as well as additions to the youth intake from that nation. And then evolve into more permanent academies - more effective but more costly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2016 at 19:28, Bigpapa42 said:

I know its going a bit beyond what a manager would/should do, but I like the thought of having youth academies outside the home nation. Could start with camps, which would be cheaper, temporary, and could possibly produce a signable regen as well as additions to the youth intake from that nation. And then evolve into more permanent academies - more effective but more costly.

No that's exactly what I was thinking too. As FM is supposedly about realism then why have they not included academies as a more integral part of the game? Be them home nation or on foreign soil? 

On 23/09/2016 at 02:20, Gangor said:

How about offering the ability to improve youth facilities of feeder clubs? That could have the same effect with minimal additional work

Yes good call. I'm sure parent clubs sometimes have more of a financial input with some feeder clubs so why not this too

On 26/08/2016 at 18:25, Weston said:

In that same vein it would be nice if we could create newgen placeholders for current players too young to legally include. Remember when Odegaard first broke into the scene and they went out of their way to get parental permission to add him? Well needless to say that is the exception to the rule; for example, Italian prodigy Scammaca is never included as he is still too young. This can be fixed by simply creating a player with a different name and a newgen face to put in his place, kind of like how FIFA / PES / those old Winning Eleven games used to do it (Mutu was Murgu, Baggio was Lon Barron). This way we can still interact with them in a realistic way as opposed to them just disappearing in the world, and more dedicated players can even go through the motions of editing them to their liking as well.

Yes I think it would save time for SI to if we already had this in place. It's such a shame we can't find a workaround for the licences for under 16's though, the youth setup in game would be so much better

3 hours ago, flogside said:

Yes I think it would save time for SI to if we already had this in place. It's such a shame we can't find a workaround for the licences for under 16's though, the youth setup in game would be so much better

It's not licences, it's child protection laws. 

I've always liked the academies idea. As a club you might establish academies around the world (north and south america, asia, africa) and as a 'reward' you could get additonal, smaller 'youth intakes' from each of them (e.g.  2-3 players from that country introduced at specific 'academy intake date').

I think something like this already happens in some ways under the hood with feeder clubs and youth intake, I'd certainly like more control and options though and the academies could be a good place to start.

3 hours ago, BruceyNTFC said:

It's not licences, it's child protection laws. 

Yeah that makes more sense. But why can't we have the youth teams but filled with regens and newgens. Then the community can always edit them in later. Would be great to have a more involved youth setup in game 

1 hour ago, kandersson said:

I've always liked the academies idea. As a club you might establish academies around the world (north and south america, asia, africa) and as a 'reward' you could get additonal, smaller 'youth intakes' from each of them (e.g.  2-3 players from that country introduced at specific 'academy intake date').

I think something like this already happens in some ways under the hood with feeder clubs and youth intake, I'd certainly like more control and options though and the academies could be a good place to start.

Yes absolutely. I can't remember what game it was that used to have academies in it, perhaps LMA. Also had the great graphics of the football stadiums too lol but yes, agree with what you are saying completely 

12 hours ago, ajj2410 said:

Surely having a player with a different name to the real U16 player should be allowed 

Yeah, I mean I have no idea how someone would argue "This newgen's stats look a lot like my client's - that's a violation!" but what do I know.

I definitely think the youth team should be expanded. Even if it's just a list of 20 newgens that are 14-16 years old. You can view their profile and stats (or even as a more basic judgement like an overall 5 star rating from the academy manager). On youth intake day the oldest 16 or so players are promoted like what happens now but you will already be familiar with the players a little. The idea would be good as you could influence the type of player you get based on your academy manager's philosophy (eg youth players already suited to technical style, focusing on taller/strong players or a mix between different types).

I'm not sure about trying to add real u16 players under different names though. Even if there was a workaround of the legal issues, Judging players full potential at that age wouldn't be accurate. It would be easier for the game to just generate newgens for academy teams at the beginning of the game based on their youth setup stats.

• 2 months later...

Archived