Signing-on fees

Hi, I've got a game going with York, where I've tried to extend the contract of my star player all season. Amazingly, the request of this immense talent is exactly the max salary I am allowed to offer by the board. The only problem in negotiation is the signing-on fee: I'm allowed £20k, the player doesn't budge on his £80k demand. I've sold off some other talent and have some room for budget adjustments, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in contract negotiations. The max amounts remain fixed.

Is there any way of increasing the amount allowed?

• SI Staff

Other than finding a way to get more money from player sales, I find that a player's demands can drop the closer they get to the end of their contract (they can play hardball sometimes). But obviously you also run the risk of other teams turning his head, so it's a risky move. They may also accept the lower signing fee if you pay them higher wages than their demands.

I see, thank you. There's no way to increase the maximum allowed wage and signing-on fee, then? Adjusting the budget didn't change the maximum values, even if there's more money available as a whole. Would asking the board for an increased wage and/or budget raise these values (if they approved)? If not, my risky, but only move is to attempt to "c'mon" him into signing the same contract I've been pushing since the start of  the season.

I think it happened to me once when the board allowed me to go over max wage on someone they considered a star but they would've told you about it already in the negotiation screen. Your best bet is to ask for an increased budget but I've never had that work since there's no option to tell the board, hey, I will exceed expectations from preseason so gimme more money! (SI: add this to wish list please!)

• 1 month later...

Let me give you an update, for anyone wondering the same thing I was.

In the end, I was lucky enough nobody was interested in my star player as he was nearing his contract. The full month where he could potentially sign on free transfer for any other club came and went, without any suitors. The day his contract expired, I wiped off my sweat and went to offer him the same, old maxed-out offer. He must have been dejected, because now his demands were more than reasonable, (1,900/w as opposed to 2,500/w), and there was no signing-on fee anymore! I was delighted, and proceeded to inadvertently blow my entire transfer budget on unforeseen "compensation fees" for other signings. Now I cannot sign a replacement for the coach I fired! I still have so much to learn...

Archived