Salary Offers: What Drives Player Demand

There are some strange interactions with free agents in this game.

For example, as Red Wings GM, I wanted to sign Almquist. He wanted to be a regular player, but I decided to offer him "core status."

Almquist is making less than $300,000 I believe in Sweden. Probably even lower. So I offer core. He demands over $3M.

Too much. I don't offer it.

The next week, I offer again, as a regular player. Now he only wants $1.4M or something.

Deal.

I've since since this several times

It seems that the role you offer sets the player's demand as much as anything.

It seems to me that a player's reputation should have more clout than my offer of the role.

A player is only worth so much, regardless of how I intend to use him.

This is a particularly frustrating dynamic when dealing with European free agents, who will only accept offers as "core players" and this demand twice what they're worth.

Why would a European, making $175,000 in the Suisse league, demand $3.6M to play in the NHL when he's clearly only a 4th liner?

The "Player Status" roughly corresponds to what line you want to play him in. Key=First liner, Core= 2nd line, Regular= 3rd line, Fringe= 4th line.

If you tell a player that you want to sign him and plan to use him on your 2nd line then you shouldn't be surprised that he wants to be paid comparable to other 2nd-liners in the league.

If you think a player is a fourth-liner then the status you should offer him is "fringe player" then he will, if he's interested in that job, accept a salary appropriate for that level.

If you offer a player "core" status without planning to play him at least on your 2nd line then you are in effect lying to the player when making your offer.

If you tell a player that you want to sign him and plan to use him on your 2nd line then you shouldn't be surprised that he wants to be paid comparable to other 2nd-liners in the league.

That is patently untrue.

If I tell a player of very little standing and reputation that I want him to be a 2nd liner, then most likely, he's still going to sign very cheap.

Contracts aren't about the role you envision. They are about supply and demand.

A guy like Almqvist has very little demand.

The in-game reality seems to suggest otherwise...

There are many parameters that influence what players ask in salary. One big one is what role they are offered. You are free to have whatever opinion you want about that but that is the reality of how this game works and has worked since the first version was released.

This game does not mimic the real world in every detail, there are decisions made during the design of the game that some areas are better served, for various reasons (programming, game-play, whatever) to have the game work in the way it works.

You asked a question. I answered it.

• 2 weeks later...

How this game works, in terms of salary negotiations, can be improved.

It's bizarre. It just signed a Eronen out of Finland for $925,000 for one year. He comes over June 6. (NHL contracts shouldn't start until July, right?).

And his contract is over in 3 weeks.

Now he wants to be a core player and wants $2M a year. 

He's never played a game for me and wants a 120 percent raise.

Archived