Board and Fan Rage

I really don't understand the logic of this in game.  Reason for this, is when they do it, example:  I traded Eric O'Dell, (4th liner) and my low 4th rnd pick, to Dallas for a high 3rd rnd pick, and both the fans and board rage.  This kind of trade, would not be paid any attention to by the board of a hockey team, as it is minor housekeeping duties kind of trade, and the fans would likely like moving up, in the draft for a very small price.  I have also gotten this message, after acquiring a Franchise type player in Alexsander Barkov, which most teams would love to acquire.

2 hours ago, Oddbob said:

I really don't understand the logic of this in game.  Reason for this, is when they do it, 

There are a lot of things that affect how the fans and the board value trades. Much of it has to do with things that you as GM has control over.

What "player status" you've set is important. If you trade away a player that you've set as "core player" then the board and fans will want more in return to be happy than if you trade away a "fringe player" and if you trade away a "hot prospect" then they will want big returns. If you set the player status to "not needed" before the trade you're likely to go free.

Another thing that is taken into account is what you have set as "teem needs". If you have your trading philosophy set to "focus on winning now" and trade away a veteran for a pick your board won't like it but if you've set "rebuild through draft" the board and fans will be very much more sympathetic. The board and fan reactions are inconsistent and can be annoying but they are not at all random and can be "controlled".

1 hour ago, IvanIvanovich said:

What "player status" you've set is important. If you trade away a player that you've set as "core player" then the board and fans will want more in return to be happy than if you trade away a "fringe player" and if you trade away a "hot prospect" then they will want big returns. If you set the player status to "not needed" before the trade you're likely to go free.

Another thing that is taken into account is what you have set as "teem needs". If you have your trading philosophy set to "focus on winning now" and trade away a veteran for a pick your board won't like it but if you've set "rebuild through draft" the board and fans will be very much more sympathetic. The board and fan reactions are inconsistent and can be annoying but they are not at all random and can be "controlled".

Good points Ivan :thup:

14 hours ago, IvanIvanovich said:

There are a lot of things that affect how the fans and the board value trades. Much of it has to do with things that you as GM has control over.

The thing is though, none of what you posted, was involved in the example I posted.  Eric O'Dell was a fringe player, traded with a low 4th for a high 3rd.  That is a good trade all day long.  O'Dell also had only been on the team for 1 season, with terrible stats, no fans or board in the world are going to rage over a nobody player getting moved in order to move up the draft.

4 hours ago, Oddbob said:

The thing is though, none of what you posted, was involved in the example I posted.  Eric O'Dell was a fringe player, traded with a low 4th for a high 3rd.  That is a good trade all day long.  O'Dell also had only been on the team for 1 season, with terrible stats, no fans or board in the world are going to rage over a nobody player getting moved in order to move up the draft.

There is no software capable of emulating the real world in all its complexity, everything is always done by making shortcuts. This particular game uses Player Status, Player Reputation, and Team Trade Philosophy to help evaluate a trade. It's not perfect - It can never be. All we can do is to try and understand how the game works and live with the shortcomings that we cannot work around. Designing software isn't magic, there are always limits to what it is possible to do.

You said you didn't understand how the game worked  - I told you how it works. I didn't make this game, I only enjoy playing it. I don't know how much software engineering you know. I'm not a coder, but I'm in the business, and have tangentially  been involved in software projects for the last 35 years and I know that there are limits to what's possible to do and also that there is no point in complaining about something unless you can show a better way of doing it.

You don't say if you set the player to "not needed" before trading him and you also don't say what his reputation was or what your trade philosophy was set to. I cannot comment on whether there might be a flaw in this particular "case" without that information. The fact that you think he's a fringe player doesn't automatically mean that the fans and the board agree with you. If the player has a reputation of "OK" or less and is set to "not needed" and you have trading set to "rebuild through draft" then he should not cause any trouble being traded. If, on the other hand, his reputation is "Good" or even "Very Good" and his status is "Regular Player" then I understand the reaction from the fans and the board.

Archived