Squad Status keeps changing automatically

Driving me nuts - but certain players squad/transfer status keeps changing in my game wihtout my interaction.

I have a couple of squad rotation players who keep changing to "backup". If I change it back to rotation I notice within 5 days or so it just automatically goes back to backup. I also have rotation players whose status moves to "First Team" & again, if I change it back to rotation within a few days it will move back to first team.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be? I've looked at staff responsibilities & personal assistant & I myself manage the majority of things, I can't find anything that would be causing this.

I'd love to know the answer to this as well. My wild assumption was that it automatically changed the assigned status according to your team selections (i.e. you never start that rotation player so he automatically becomes a backup player).

I have a backroom meeting once a month. I very rarely take my coaches advice as its usually quite generic, other than scouting recommendations or training. Also nine if these players have ever had any promises associated with them. 1 player complained about lack if game time & I just told him tough, the 1st team p,ayer won't be dislodged. He effectuveky said "ok then" & hasn't complained since.

The players in question are my 2nd choice right back & left winger & 4th choice centre half. Im very much a "form manager" - so as long as a players playing well regardless of ability or who hes keeping out, he'll always play. Thus I view them as rotation players - the full back & winget are more than capable of playing regularly in the starting 11. The centre half is a bit harder, you could say he's a backup, but he's almost already equalled all his appearances from last season & we're not even at Xmas yet. And one of my fairly regular central midfielders keeps changing to 1st team, but I don't think he's good enough to warrent that status.

Regardless - if I set a players status, as the manager I expect it to stay that way & not change by itself. Could this be a bug in my game? Been playing CM/FM for 20 years & never seen this happen before.

• 2 months later...

So far we've had some pretty good possible reasons for why this might happen, but it's still not the cause of my problem.

For me the problem is not because of:
Team selection - how often he starts or the number of matches he plays.
Staff meeting - Like OP I'm pretty selective regarding staff meeting suggestions.
Backroom responsibility - Despite me having all the responsibility the status still changes.
Player promise - I have double checked and found no promise regarding playtime or status.
Contract negotiations - I have a player who played 30 games with only 4 being subbed in appearances and his last contract negotiation was first team player. After the 30 game season he got changed to backup and keeps getting changed to backup if I change it.

So what options are left? What reasons could there be for the status changing? Is it because of perceived ability relative to the rest of the squad? Like OP I would really like to determine player status myself. 

2 hours ago, Baodan said:

So far we've had some pretty good possible reasons for why this might happen, but it's still not the cause of my problem.

For me the problem is not because of:
Team selection - how often he starts or the number of matches he plays.
Staff meeting - Like OP I'm pretty selective regarding staff meeting suggestions.
Backroom responsibility - Despite me having all the responsibility the status still changes.
Player promise - I have double checked and found no promise regarding playtime or status.
Contract negotiations - I have a player who played 30 games with only 4 being subbed in appearances and his last contract negotiation was first team player. After the 30 game season he got changed to backup and keeps getting changed to backup if I change it.

So what options are left? What reasons could there be for the status changing? Is it because of perceived ability relative to the rest of the squad? Like OP I would really like to determine player status myself. 

Squad status changes for the following reasons:

A) You change it directly.

B) You change it indirectly via a player conversation, new contract signing or maybe a media comment? (Don't think I've ever seen it change due to a media comment though).

C) Your staff change it via them having a player conversation (You've delegated the chat via the media message), backroom advice or new contract signing (Delegated contract signings via responsibilities).

Team selection has nothing to do with it at all and I can't think of any other reasons why it would change (Maybe I've missed something).

I've also not seen it reported as a bug so its not something common.  With that in mind if you still have it happening then you have a couple of options, upload your save to a hosting site for us to download and play around with to see if we've missed something or start a thread in the bugs forum and upload your save to SI's FTP server for SI to review. 

Archived