[Suggestion] European Experience Attribute

ortz3

I believe their should be European Experience (EE) attribute that has an effect on how teams perform in the Europa League and Champions League. In real life, when a club enters the Champions/Europe league for the first time, or the first time in years, they often struggle significantly because they don't have European Experience. Look at City, it took them years to get going. The same for Juve, they went years without Champions league and they struggled in their first couple years back. Whenever I do a road to glory and get my team from the lower divisions into the champions league, I more often then not win it or get very far in my first try which is very unrealistic. I think that every club should have a European Experience attribute which is affected by both the clubs participation in Europe for say the last 5 years and also the  individual players experience playing in Europe. I think this would  make the game far more dynamic, for example, if I got my Oxford United into the Champions league for the first time, I would look to sign a player or two who have a lot of European experience so that they could share their experience with the rest of the squad. Every manager always say that playing in the league and Europe are two very different competitions and are approached very differently. Let me give an example. FC Basel are an average squad at best, but play in Europe every single season, which is why they always, and I mean always cause upsets to much better squads such as Liverpool, Tottenham, Fiorentina  and others. It's because they have a lot of experience in the competition and they know how to approach every single match. Their experience gets them the result which is why I strongly believe that the European Experience (EE) attribute should be implemented. In summary,

- European Experience (EE), an attribute that has an effect on how a club performs in Europe

- A club that always participates in Europe will have a high Club European Experience (CEE.)

- Individual players who have a lot of experience playing in Europe will have a high Individual European Experience (IEE.) 

- A combination of both the 2 points above, (CEE) and (IEE) will create the European Experience attribute (EE) which is explained in the first point

- Will make the game more realistic as is it will be harder for a debutante Champions League teams to win the Champions League, as it is in real life

- Will encourage managers to consider buying older players with more experience instead of always buying either young prospects or the best players in the game

- Will allow clubs like FC Basel and other clubs like them to actually perform in Europe as they do in real life instead of them losing to say Everton 5-0 in the game which would never happen in real life

- Will make the game far more dynamic and tactical

Thanks.

How often are "first time" champions league sides winning the champions league on your game? 

Players and staff - how do they interact with this? What happens if a club has a team full of champions league winners they've assembled on their way to getting to the champions league for the first time (ie a tycoon type situation in game) surely they already have a lot of cumulative European experience through their squad.

On the flip side, I remember at Stoke when we qualified for the Europa league, we weren't expected to be FC Thun as they were more experienced in Europe than us. We weren't expected to beat Hadjuk Split, as they were more experienced in Europe than us. We weren't expected to beat Besiktas because they were more experienced in Europe than us, Dynamo Kiev were expected to be too much for us because they were more experienced in Europe. Besiktas beat Stoke in the away game after Stoke had already got through the group stage and so rested the first team, and finally it took Valencia dropping from the champions league, coupled with Stoke struggling in the league a little and that becoming the main focus, for us to end up going out narrowly. 

Under this kind of European experience I would expect that both Southampton and West Ham would be considered more suitable for European football than Stoke were, yet Stoke were the side that got furthest. There might be something to this idea, but I think the way in which clubs are setting up when facing different types of teams is having a more determining factor than any inherent familiarity with European football. 

Great idea. There could also be an international attribute for national sides, that depends on recent success and the players in the squad. Eg. England would have a low attribute due to many young players and poor performances over the last 30 years. On the other side, a team such as Germany who regularly succeed internationally would have a high attribute.

11 hours ago, santy001 said:

How often are "first time" champions league sides winning the champions league on your game? 

Players and staff - how do they interact with this? What happens if a club has a team full of champions league winners they've assembled on their way to getting to the champions league for the first time (ie a tycoon type situation in game) surely they already have a lot of cumulative European experience through their squad.

On the flip side, I remember at Stoke when we qualified for the Europa league, we weren't expected to be FC Thun as they were more experienced in Europe than us. We weren't expected to beat Hadjuk Split, as they were more experienced in Europe than us. We weren't expected to beat Besiktas because they were more experienced in Europe than us, Dynamo Kiev were expected to be too much for us because they were more experienced in Europe. Besiktas beat Stoke in the away game after Stoke had already got through the group stage and so rested the first team, and finally it took Valencia dropping from the champions league, coupled with Stoke struggling in the league a little and that becoming the main focus, for us to end up going out narrowly. 

Under this kind of European experience I would expect that both Southampton and West Ham would be considered more suitable for European football than Stoke were, yet Stoke were the side that got furthest. There might be something to this idea, but I think the way in which clubs are setting up when facing different types of teams is having a more determining factor than any inherent familiarity with European football. 

Thanks for the response. As stated, a combination of both the club and players would affect the European Experience attribute so if a tycoon bought a bunch of champions league winners, then that would significantly help the attribute. The entire idea of this European Attribute isn't supposed to prevent debutante teams from winning it, just making it a tad bit more difficult like, for example like a 5-10% difference.  The main idea of this attribute is to make the champions league and europa league far more realistic like the FC Basel vs Everton point that I mentioned and also put more of an emphasis on experience into the game. For example in real life, Pogba said that Pirlo's experience was one of the most vital things he has learned in his entire career. He said that he was frustrated/confused that he wasn't able to perform in the Champions league as he did in the Serie A, but Pirlo sort of "showed him the ropes" and after a couple of years Pogba is now vital for Juventus' success in the Champions League

• 1 month later...

I guess where do you draw the line?  First time in Asia?  First time at the Club World Cup?  First time at the World Cup?  Is it a sliding scale depending on the competition?  On the surface it seems like a good idea but I think it is actually a lot deeper than what is suggested.

• 3 months later...

Archived