Sports Interactive Community
thethe

Is there any point in updating to Win10 re: FM?

Hi,

As you may know, free Windows 10 upgrade ends today. I use my laptop exclusively for FM, browsing and social media like Skype and Viber. Is there any point for me to upgrade? I don't like the userface of Win10 or really any of what it offers, so this question is based exclusively on whether it will make FM16 (or future versions) run smoother.

I have an Acer with 12 GB Ram, Win 8.1, Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60 GHz. Currently, it suits my FM and general needs very well.

So is there any point?

If you are happy with what you have, I dont see any major benefit in upgrading

I would upgrade it and roll it back to the previous version you currently have. This bags you a copy of Win 10, for free, that you can then roll forward into at a later date if you wish.

I have 4 devices running in Win 10 now and I really like it, does take a while to get used to though

1 hour ago, Conan21 said:

I would upgrade it and roll it back to the previous version you currently have. This bags you a copy of Win 10, for free, that you can then roll forward into at a later date if you wish.

I have 4 devices running in Win 10 now and I really like it, does take a while to get used to though

I'll 2nd this.  I was very skeptical of Win10 for quite a while.  I just upgraded this week simply for DX12 because that's inevitable and a big deal for gaming.  I actually like it a lot better, and once you turn off the info sharing stuff it's not really any different than Win7 for the average user, imo.

I replaced my computer a few days ago which had Windows 7 on it. I delayed switching to 10 because I was so used to 7 and don't like change until I was left with no choice. :D

But I've really liked using 10 so far and I wish I'd upgraded sooner. It's not as drastic a change as I expected either.

I've been using Windows 10 for a while now and no issues whatsoever. 

It's basically the same as previous versions of Windows. Don't know what the big deal is. If it was Mac everyone would be upgrading the first day - even with bugs they'd say it was the best OS in the world. Windows give a free upgrade to the latest OS and everyone is walking on egg shells... 

Everything about Windows 10 is good in my eye. 

I'd say go ahead with the free upgrade while there is still time.

I upgraded my desktop and laptop computers a few days after Windows 10 was released, and I still haven't had any major issues with the new OS. I had to reinstall FM13 to get it to run on Windows 10, but that was it. FM15 (which I was also playing at the time) was unaffected.

In my view, Windows 10 runs much smoother and is more stable than Win 7 and Win 8.1. I have no regrets whatsoever about upgrading.

I decided not to do it. I've had this laptop for three years now, and it's by far the most happy I've been with any electronic device I've had. Minus a few occasions where it's frozen (admittedly my fault because I've been lazy on the reboots and updates), the computer has barely even lagged in its entire period of use. Why change something I'm as happy with and has been as stable for me.

Upgraded on day 1. Yes, it had few issues during early time. But after couple of updates, I like it very much. You should've upgraded to it (if you haven't done it already). If you don't like it, revert back to WIn7 but this license will be forever for yours.

I don't understand anyone who would choose Windows 8 over a free upgrade to 10, but if you're on 7 then there's no huge differences really.  

I waited until the last day. On the one hand I feel it's necessary, because you could be left with a system that in a year or two is unprotected, but on the other hand I resisted for as long as possible because from experience I know that Microsoft likes to control the way it is used, so certain software applications won't function as you're used to or not at all. That FM13 should be one of the latter was somewhat unexpected. I expected I had to start all over rather than continuing in 2178 with my glorious teams, but it turned out that I simply could not get FM13 started at all. An error message came up each time I tried, announcing that the program would close down. Luckily I had a FM15 licence which had been installed on my laptop but I'd rarely used it as FM13 was just so superior. Under that liscnce I am aloowed to use on it on multiple computers, so I did not suffer complete cold turkey, but it is a nusiance to start all over, considering I had gotten used to the earlier. Still I suppose that is why the manufacturers issue yearly versions... 

When in doubt, going with the newest is usually the best idea. By the way, windows reportedly checks system time to see if a computer is eligible for an upgrade. I'm sure creative minds can put that to use :)

2 hours ago, vlobben said:

When in doubt, going with the newest is usually the best idea. By the way, windows reportedly checks system time to see if a computer is eligible for an upgrade. I'm sure creative minds can put that to use :)

I agree with that to an extent, but this hasn't always been 100% fool proof and some users have had some major driver issues when upgrading. Bit of a moot point now mind! 

At the end of the day, you have to upgrade your operating system in order to receive system updates which may contain some critical security updates/patches. So I recommend you to upgrade your operating system to Windows 10 after completely backing your personal data. Also thanks to this upgrade, you will benefit from the advantages of DirectX 12.

The only issue I had after updating was the odd screen freeze, but then I found that Nvidia had updated the incorrect graphics driver for Windows 10 (GeForce Game Ready). I downloaded this manually, installed it, and been fine ever since.

I like windows 10 and let AVG update my drivers so had no problems at all