[FM16] May the (Knoxville) Force be with you

Uncle_Sam

My local real life team is the Knoxville Force, in Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm a season ticket holder, although that really only means about 7-10 games per season because they play in the fourth/fifth level of American soccer where the schedule is limited. It's really just a league were college players can get some games in without blowing their amateur status required for scholarship eligibility. I've finally built an editor file that makes them playable in a structure that very closely mimics real life. There is no promotion/relegation so this will likely evolve into a journeyman thread. So without further (Freddy) Adu...

ys6JJjf.png

The club starts the game as an Amateur team which makes my player acquisition options very limited. I have a $0 budget, so free transfer is my only avenue for improving my squad. The board's overall budget means I'm also limited to only one staff member per position. The club's reputation means that I will be limited in the players and coaches that are willing to hop on board.

The absence of the possibility of promotion means that the club has a natural ceiling that I cannot realistically expect to break through. My goal has to simply be make myself THE elite club of the Southeast Conference in the NPSL - South Region. This means I only have to seek to outdo eight clubs. By establishing Knoxville as the elite club in our conference, it will automatically put us in a position to be the NPSL Champions.

As with any level of soccer (Yea, that's what I'm calling it because I'm American and that's what we call it here, so just blow past it), what I need is money, and I need more of it than my opponents. At this level I have to pay more meticulous attention to revenue sources than in the higher leagues. When there is less money out there, you have to be much careful with how every dollar is spent or acquired.

The first revenue source is ticket revenue, whether it be through season tickets or general admission. The only real way to increase this is by winning matches and getting butts in the seats. I've also got a handful of preseason friendlies against clubs from the higher leagues to maximize the income from those. I hope to eventually increase our merchandising by winning and making trips overseas as our reputation increases. I also hope to make some money by selling players in their prime, however it's hard to see that become a significant source of revenue in the American soccer system.

Here's a look at the club:
C0gjEmH.png

I plan on using the same aggressive tactic that I employ in the upper divisions. My primary tactic is the high-pressing 4-1-2-3 DM WB Wide that I'm sure many FM gamers use:
9v0zPgj.png
When playing against a superior opponent or maybe when I'm seeing out a tough match I'll drop off to a 4-1-4-1:
AeadGSZ.png
When I play against teams that use two strikers and a AMC I like to use a 3-3-1-3 (The game calls it a 5-1-1-3 WB Wide) that looks like this:
lG7vQ59.png
The idea is that I outnumber them in the back but still get numbers forward in the attack. All three tactics use these basic instructions:
XUWWRDw.png

I'm yet to play a game on FM16 at this level, so I'm prepared to change my tactical approach if necessary. I already have a concept in mind that mimics the USA national team approach under Bob Bradley. However, in my FM experience a tactic that is based on sound football that works in the upper division will work in the lower divisions.

Here is my "key player":
By3KYmD.png

Obviously, I have a long way to go to assemble a quality team. Most clubs around the world have better players sitting in the stands than this guy.

ys6JJjf.png

So the first preseason friendly was successful I would say:

ZIwFdlf.png

Obviously it's just a friendly, but if I can largely outplay a USL team (3rd division), then I should be ok against the competition I will be facing.

Staff

So this is my new assistant:
tiyJBSm.png
Obviously most of his ratings are not good. He even has a receding hairline. However, two things made me hire him: He's a model professional and his determination is 17. That means he's more than likely going to max out his potential. If his potential is higher (hopefully it is), then the determination is going to make his training ability better.

Transfers
This is my first signing:
em9Zwqg.png
Never heard of this guy, but he's bounced around the Canadian leagues and he definitely fills a need I had in the midfield. He's also fairly versatile, which I'm sure will help as my squad is razor thin. I've got my scouts out looking for loan candidates and I'd like to find some depth at fullback.

RECORD

Club

Season

League

Cup

Continental

Overall

W

D

L

W

D

L

W

D

L

W

D

L

Knoxville Force

Knoxville Force

Knoxville Force

Total

Career Totals

TROPHIES

Knoxville Force

-Volunteer State Cup (1): 2016

-NPSL South Region (2): 2015, 2016

-NPSL Championship (2): 2015, 2016

ys6JJjf.png

As the forums were switched over, we've had a pretty successful run. We've only had two losses in competitive play, and we currently sit atop the NPSL - South Region, Southeast Conference.

ZhBmRsu.png

d91M3pB.png

We did as well as we could have hoped in this competition (which is a preseason friendly tournament I added to the database. In real life this trophy is given based on the season results). 

hxjsd74.png

Nashville FC is a USL side now (third division, 2 divisions above us) and so they should win this competition every year. We'll take our second place and move on to the cup.

rR9Ev4a.png

zop2UyQ.png

We got as far as we could realistically hope to get in the US Open Cup as well. That Reading United match was particularly exciting with lots of goals, and the truth is that it could have easily been 6-2 in their favor. It also produced this unintentional pun headline by FM:

CSD9AVL.png

We did make it farther than any other NPSL club, but it's hard to be too excited about that because one USASA team also advanced to the second round.

kaBEZoh.png

The goal in the regular season was simply to finish in the first four in our conference. Accomplishing that will get us into the playoffs where the season starts over and anything can happen. After 9 matches with 5 more to play, we have 6 wins and 3 draws and sit in first place:

0i2RJhO.png

We feel pretty good about our chances of qualifying, and holding onto first place. We beat New Orleans and Chattanooga away. The Silverbacks play to draw every match, and they pulled it off against us twice. But their style of play makes it very unlikely they'll be able to over take us. What we're waiting on now is to see who finished fourth, as they will be our opponent in the first round of the Southeast Conference tournament.

ys6JJjf.png

2015 Season Recap:

Competitions                                    W           D            L             Placing

Volunteer State Cup                         2             1             1             2nd Place

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup              3             0             1             Second Round

NPSL Southeast Conference            11           3             0             1st Place

NPSL South Region Playoffs             4             0             0             Champions

NPSL Championship                         2             0             0             Champions

Total Record                                      22           4             2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trophies

sds7wpX.pngNPSL South Region Championship

IVwtPPN.pngNPSL Championship

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfers

Transfers In                        Method                               Fee

Rudy Pikuzinski                  Free Transfer                      Free

John Swaistyn                     Free Transfer                      Free

Ben Hughes                         Free Transfer                      Free

David Sias                            Free Transfer                      Free

Francisco Garza                  Free Transfer                      Free

George Dunn                      Free Transfer                      Free

Alfonso Gibbons                Free Transfer                      Free

Alejandro Prochilo             Free Transfer                      Free

Danny Watts                       Free Transfer                      Free

Hadyn Rios                          Free Transfer                      Free

Brian Payne                         Free Transfer                      Free

Neil Craddock                     Free Transfer                      Free

Transfers Out                     To                                         Fee

Francisco Garza                  Orlando City B                    Free

Jared Denton                      Sounders 2                          Free

Christian Lopez                   Real Monarchs                   Free

8jICdbw.png

The truth is that I was not really challenged in my run to the Championship. The only time I was nervous at all was right out of the gate against stingy Atlanta. After scoring in the 19th minute I was sure it would be all I needed until a schoolboy error on a counter attack let the Silverbacks draw level. Finally found this intense winner in the 80th minute:

Convinced the board to upgrade the training facilities, so all of those losses to the big clubs in the preseason paid off. 

I am keeping an eye on job openings in the leagues above me, but I do want to want to make sure it's a good situation. The Austin Aztex of the USL fired their coach, but they finished the season with 0 wins and 1 draw out of 30, so no thanks. One job I'm considering pursuing is the Charlotte Independence. They finished one point away from qualifying for the USL Championship playoffs. They also have an affiliation with the Colorado Rapids from who they got 3 players last season. So that's a maybe, but I am pretty committed to building an NPSL super club in Knoxville.

ys6JJjf.png

Knoxville Force

2016 Season

USA

National Premier Soccer League (South Region - Southeast Conference)

Results

Competitions                                    W           D            L             Placing

Volunteer State Cup                         4             0             0             1st Place

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup              3             0             1             Second Round

NPSL Southeast Conference            8             6             0             1st Place

NPSL South Region Playoffs             4             0             0             Champions

NPSL Championship                         1             1             0             Champions

Total Record                                      20           7             1

Trophies

Volunteer State Cup

NPSL South Region Championship

NPSL National Championship

Transfers

Transfers In                        Method                               Fee

Jeff Richardson                   Free Transfer                      Free

Joe Thomas                         Free Transfer                      Free

Luis Angel Rivera                Free Transfer                      Free

Duncan McCormick           Free Transfer                      Free

Louis Blackmore                 Free Transfer                      Free

Al Clark                                Free Transfer                      Free

John Bennett                      Free Transfer                      Free

Hugo Campos                     Free Transfer                      Free

Ian Lucas                             Free Transfer                      Free

Luis Ricardo Lomeli            Free Transfer                      Free

Ruben Estrada                    Free Transfer                      Free

Luis Cicciarelli                     Free Transfer                      Free

Transfers Out                     To                                         Fee

Danny Huerta                     Free Transfer                      Free

George Dunn                      Toronto FC II                       Free

Alfonso Gibbons                Real Monarchs                   Free

John Swaistyn                     Free Transfer                      Free

David Hutchings                 Free Transfer                      Free

Jeremy Bailey                      Free Transfer                      Free

David Smith                        Free Transfer                      Free

Jean Marie Laveaux            Free Transfer                      Free

Rudy Pikuzinski                  Free Transfer                      Free

Danny Watts                       Portland Timbers 2            Free

Alexis Rivera                       Free Transfer                      Free

Alejandro Prochilo             LA Galaxy II                         Free

te447UP.png

cDKkCnh.png

So my tenure with Knoxville has led to an appointment with the USA Under 20 national team, just in time for U-20 World Cup qualifying. My 6-team group includes: Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, Jamaica, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. I can automatically qualify by winning the group. If I finish second or third, then I'll have a playoff for one of the other two spots.

To prepare I've setup friendlies with Bahamas, Nicaragua, and El Salvador. 

The squad I've chosen is focused mostly on potential rather than ability. I'm more interested in long term projects that I can help gain reputation and exposure so that they can further their development. I might not win the qualifying tournament, but I should at least be able to grab one of the four bids.

8LwoEpV.png

For now I'm keeping double duty, although it is very possible that I will step down from Knoxville in the hopes my work with the U20's can lead to a bigger job.

sIW5r2k.png

CONCACAF U-20 Championship

The pre-tournament friendlies went well. The only issue was finishing, as 37 shots and 11 half or clear-cut chances created resulted in only a 2-0 victory. From there we wrapped up preparation with a 3-0 win over Nicaragua and a 3-1 win over El Salvador.

With the inherent fixture congestion in this tournament the key would be squad rotation, which we did better than any of the other teams. We were also very fortunate to avoid any injuries.

We strolled through the group stage and we benefited from some of the other results:

jdm36UF.png

Obviously our strongest competition in the group was Mexico. However, by the time we played them they had already drawn against Guatemala and Jamaica, so even had we lost that match we still would have won the group. 

ZwQ5sNd.png

Having already clinched qualification for the U-20 World Cup, we went into the final against host Panama. We dominated the match, but a comedy errors gifted Panama a pair of goals. After going up 2-0 we surrendered an own goal and a penalty that allowed Panama to force extra time and eventually a shootout, where we won the trophy 4-3.

VVyXN8q.png

I will probably leave my position with the Knoxville Force after the Volunteer State Cup so that I can focus on the U-20 World Cup.

sIW5r2k.png

2017 FIFA Under-20 World Cup Draw

whH8eq0.png

HWHvfig.png

Nightmare draw for us, getting both Argentina and France. The good news is that the four best 3rd-place group finishers qualify for the second round, so a win against South Africa might be enough. Would really have preferred Group C, though. 

I did resign from Knoxville so that I could focus on this competition. The very next day I was approached to take over the Jamaica national team but I turned that down. They've already been eliminated from qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, and I'm committed to finishing this competition. 

sIW5r2k.png

Here is the squad that I will be taking to South Korea for the 2017 U-20 World Cup:

CUHWQeW.png

Obviously not the strongest squad. My hope is that I can maintain the strong possession and organized defense that has led to only surrendering 3 goals in the 10 matches I've managed with this team so far. In attack, I'll probably be relying heavily on Pulisic and Zelalem. We open with Argentina and then France, so the first two matches are against the strongest teams in the group. Three points from South Africa will be absolutely vital. Three points might be enough to get us through, but we really want to get at least four as that will almost certainly be enough.

• 8 months later...

Archived