[FM16] More than Malé: a Youth-Only challenge in the Maldives

The_Gato_In_Goal

More than Malé: a Youth-Only challenge in the Maldives

Male.jpg

After being inspired by all the fantastic youth only saves on the forum, I decided to start one of my own. I wanted something rather unique, so I went about picking an obscure nation outside of Europe and settled in the Maldives. I holidayed one season and decided to take the reigns of the Red Line Club, a newly promoted side in the 2nd tier of the Maldivian football system.

I've done youth challenges in the past, but never in a country this small, let alone outside of Europe, so it will be interesting to see if I can produce any high level players and compete at a continental level. As of now, I'm only taking control of the club side of things, but if this save has success, taking over the national side and aiming at glory there is definitely on the cards.

To give you a scope of this challenge, although 11 times larger than San Marino, the Maldives house a minuscule 350,000 people, of which a bit less than half live in the capital of Malé. Regardless, all the clubs in Maldives in the game reside in Malé and in one stadium for the most part (you should be able to pick it out in the top right of the picture :p). With all their current internationals playing domestically except for one in Myanmar and Hong Kong, I'll be looking to produce some Maldivian gems and lead our club and maybe even country to glory.

So, without further ado, welcome to the Red Line Club, (hopefully) the next superpower in Asian football.
Ou2Hp6P.png?1
UcqmfGX.png?2

I'll try to update at the end of every season and at youth intake time, but even with using "instant result" quite liberally, it might take me some time to get through seasons.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the support guys :thup:, I'm hoping the journey goes well too.

LOLPExd.png?2

I'm happy with this being our first intake. We have some instant first teamers and others who will help beef up our 14 man squad. And I feeli like the personalities are rather decent too, my HOYD has barely any stats, but has a determined personality.

U9qJorF.png?1
The pick of the bunch, a nice DM with some potential (although my assistant can't judge anything).

ov398ws.png?1

tK49IXk.png?1
We didn't have a backup striker, so now we do.

19pfNfO.png?1
And we have 2 backups now :p

Ncxf55x.png?1
Kind of intrigued to see how he develops since he does have 10 heading and 11 marking.

Lf9ilwl.png?1

Beau - I'm using one of Claasen's megapacks and just using the Maldivian league system along with a few relatively meaningless international competitions. For skins, it's the Vitrex16 2.1 version which you can get through the steam workshop.

Anyways, just finished the first season and I'm working on the update now.

2016 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Mohamed Ibrahim - Our star player, rated as a leading first division player and has got 3 international caps along with a great personality. Doesn't want to leave yet, and I'm hoping it stays that way. Also note that I had the "add players to playable clubs" box ticked when starting the game ;)

Mausoom Saleem - Our best central player this year, performed as he should have.

Ismail Mahir - The rock at the back, shame about his personality, cause he would have been a good tutor in upcoming years.

How was the season?

To not get promoted was very disappointing as it was all in our hands not once, but twice. For some reason, the final round of matches were not played at the same time, so we went into our match against TC Sports knowing that 3 points would give us the title. We drew a boring 0-0 in which we dominated shots, 12-4. So, we went into the promotion playoff with the 2nd worst team in the 1st division. We were able to hold on for the entire game against BG Sports until conceding a heart-breaking 120+1 minute goal to ruin our hopes of promotion.

Disappointing, but we were able to get a junior coaching upgrade and next year my aim is certainly promotion.

odNER7t.png?1

EDIT: As you can see, an 18 game season goes pretty fast so maybe I will be going through seasons quicker than I expected.

2017 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Hussain Mohamed (01b) - Contributed to most of our goals this season even though he only scored 10. Improved his stats a bit, but he produces, so that's all that matters.

Mausoom Saleem - Outstanding season from the least expected of all 3! Averaged a 7.72 even though he only had 4 assists (7 PoMs somehow).

Mohamed Rasheed (01a) - The key to our 4-1-2-3, Rasheed lived up to his expectations in his rookie year.

How was the season?

This year we started with a bang and halfway through the year, we were flying and promotion seemed inevitable. Then, we decided to stop scoring and started losing. This time, promotion was not in our hands going into the last games. Luckily, both LT Sports and United Victory dropped points in their last game, so we cliched the title on a +4 goal difference.

Next year, survival is key and hopefully we can keep improving facilities until we can get in the continental competitions.

2018 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Muhthaz Hussain - Looking at his attributes, I have no idea how he played so well. But that's my favorite part of youth challenges, even your untagged first year graduates can be stars.

Mohamed Ibrahim - 3rd season in a row with >7.00 rating. He''s on the fringe of the national team, but the media are saying he needs to go to a bigger club if he wants call ups :(

Abdulla Ahmed - Another uprising selection, as the 31 year old had under performed the last 2 years, but really kicked on this year.

How was the season?
I learned that a 14 game top flight season means that every point matters and basically anyone can win the title with a bit of luck. So the next few years I hope to get that luck on my side and sneak into Asia a few times for the money.

Good news though.
lilyt6m.png?1
A straight group stage appearance for 2nd place in the equivalent of the Europa League seems great!

I'll be following this. I've been reading a few youth only challenges threads on here at the moment and they're all a good read. Like you I've started my own youth only game in a non-European country, but I'm in St Lucia.

I'll be following this. I've been reading a few youth only challenges threads on here at the moment and they're all a good read. Like you I've started my own youth only game in a non-European country, but I'm in St Lucia.

Seems like a very enjoyable challenge. I was thinking about going to the Caribbean somewhere before deciding on the Maldives

Really enjoyed reading this so far! Keep up the good work. Good choice of country too :)

Thank you for the support, I'm glad everyone is liking this :)

On other notes, this is the highest I've seen yet. Good signs I guess.

C2NuBZR.png?1

2019 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Mausoom Saleem - I don't understand how he gets such high ratings! No goals and 2 assists, yet had 7.26 average rating.

Ahmed Rasheed (04a) - I know he only played 4 games, but our newest academy product averaged a 7.43 rating in those games. Already rejected some money offers for the first time for him, so he looks promising and might nt be at our club next season if a big bid comes in.

Rameez Abdulla - Solid full back that pitch in on attack and defense.

How was the season?
14 game seasons take everything out of you! Anything can happen and the league is so close apart from New Radiant (now the only Maldivian professional side). A 6th place finish is worse than last year, but a few different games and we could have been 2nd or 3rd. I'm happy we got some new players and next few season should be wishing for a lucky win streak to take us into Asia.

Cracking up at the lack of Maldivian names in the database. :lol:

I don't know much about the Maldives, but that jumped out at me too :D

Good luck, Gato! Success will look a little different outside the more familiar confines of Europe. Excited to see how you get on!

2020 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Mohamed Ibrahim - Has yet to have averaged under a 7.00 rating, but this was by far his best season.

Ahmed Rasheed (04a) - Looks to be proving himself amongst all the hype. Rejected a 100k bid from New Radiant for him, but I think that it was worth it.

Rameez Abdulla - 2nd straight year our solid fullback has been on this list.

How was the season?

Better. We started off pretty well. By the stats, we dominated and should have won pretty much every game. Then the cups came around and we started to lose and that form carried over into the last 4 league games. So we finished 3rd, narrowly missing out on Asian spots. All I can hope for are some more quality players from intakes to propel us into 2nd place.

Youth Intake - 2021

j7I0t75.png?1

Ooooooooh baby!!! A five star current ability player and he's professional! Shame about my highest rated youth being a GK for the 3rd year out of 6, but he's the new future of the club and I have reason to believe my HOYD who now has 19/20 JCA/JPA. A few other nice players with good personalities as well, but I can't believe how lucky we got with this intake. Oh and he has a different name, so I'll be able to pick him out :D

AaQDg2b.png?1

YcPdV2x.png?1

oZs28it.png?1

WnMitrz.png?1

2021 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Mohamed Ibrahim - Still going at it at age 28, been our captain for 5 years now and had a great season even though he missed half of it with a torn groin.

Ahmed Rasheed (04a) - Still proves to be the catalyst in our midfield, I'll be disappointed if he decides to leave on a free anytime soon.

Mohamed Rasheed (01a) - Finally, our first good youth player is back on the list. Had been quiet the last few seasons, but played really well in a BWM role this year.

How was the season?

Technically, we did worse than last year, but I felt we did much better. Although we finished 4th, we were only 6 points from the title and 4 points from Asia. The training facilities upgrades along with junior coaching upgrades should eventually land us in Asia, afterwords, I can hope that the money will help us turn pro. Liking how the club is developing, so I'm looking forward to next year.

2022 - Season Review

League Table | Schedule

Key Players

Note: My entire first 11 had >7.00 ratings, so these are the best 3.

Ibrahim Ali (06b) - We had been relying on Hussain Mohamed (01b) for the last 6 years to score all the goals, but with the addition of Ali, they both played better and each got 15+ goals.

Ahmed Rasheed (04a) - What more can I say about this guy, absolutely bossed the center of the park.

Abdulla Rasheed (02d) - Had a shocking season on the left wing putting in goals as well as crosses.

How was the season?

I knew one of these seasons was bound to happen sometime. We were a perfect 9-0-0 in the first half of the season and then finished out the campaign convincingly. we got unlucky to crash out of both cups 2-0 to Valencia (MDV), but I can't complain as we did win the title. Outstanding season, I'm looking now to retain our title, hopefully get far enough into Asia to get us some prize money, and save up enough to go professional.

W0eqZMN.png?1

Wow, this is the most luck I have ever gotten in this save. Completely outplayed in both games, but we managed to win 3-1 and 4-3. Even though I loaded team in continental competitions, there aren't many quality teams in Asia, so any good team in in the Champions League, making the confederation cup much easier than the other.

Archived