Chance of Japan not being fake in 2017?

I recently saw the news that the J League would be in FIFA for the first time this year. I can only assume that means Konami's exclusive licensing agreement has finally run out.

So, is there any chance the J League could be in FM 2017 as well? Or at the very least will they have their history/information pages back so a custom made Japanese League wouldn't be missing things?

Neither SI or Sega will be able to comment on issues relating to licenses that they do not hold, all we can do is wait & see.

• 1 year later...

The reason tends to be a legal one, I suspect that providing a free tool that can allow an end user to circumvent license & copyright restrictions is considered the same as doing it yourself by some jurisdictions. 

Then there’s the somewhat unique Japanese business culture which could mean it would be seen as a breach of a morality based code of ethics & potentially shameful act on Sega’s part if they permitted it.

Either way until Sega/SI can agree use of the licensed assets I don’t see anything changing.

On 13/10/2017 at 12:42, Barside said:

The reason tends to be a legal one, I suspect that providing a free tool that can allow an end user to circumvent license & copyright restrictions is considered the same as doing it yourself by some jurisdictions. 

Then there’s the somewhat unique Japanese business culture which could mean it would be seen as a breach of a morality based code of ethics & potentially shameful act on Sega’s part if they permitted it.

Either way until Sega/SI can agree use of the licensed assets I don’t see anything changing.

As far as I know FM isn't even legally sold in Japan. At least when I lived there I had to get UK relatives to buy the game and register it on Steam for me. The majority of stuff can be edited in to make Japan more accurate anyways, it just annoys me that a few tabs are completely missing for Japanese teams.

Maybe there are some legal issues somewhere, but it just seems strange to me that Japan are even more fake than any of the other countries that lack licences.

Archived