Setup for decent transfer system?

I'm going to start again to try and see if I can get the transfer market to work. I'm after a set up for the best possible most realistic experience.

Started as Wealdstone in van south.

My old set up was 6 nations, 17 leagues 42,200 players. Large database. No changes. England van south north. France National. Germany second div. Italy serie B, Holland Jupiler. Spain liga adelante. All Playable.

It runs well. Its very quick. PC performance is 5 stars. Game speed says 3.5 stars but I think I could push it a bit more. Its still running great after 16 seasons.

What other leagues would be recommended, I'm thinking scotland for one, I'm thinking against nations where work permits are an issue. I'm after a nice balance of players.

I think this time I might start as Bromley so I could remove the van south/north cos that might be a waste.

What would be recommended to get the transfer market to kick into gear?

Or would I be better to add more nations to my current save and maybe remove the lower leagues of each nation? Or is it better to have them so theres less top players in the world. Only have the elite leagues and more nations, or is it too late for that to work?

My PC is a i7 3770k 3.5GHz

More playable nations is always the best option as that ensures clubs in those nations operate an active shortlist, not managing in England is always a good idea for a perceptively more active transfer market (I assume you want more buyers for your players) because English top division clubs tend to look overseas for their incoming transfers due to expense of buying domestically & most of the clubs below the Premier League do not have the money to fund high value cash transfers

That being said & based on your previous post I still believe that you need to consider changing your approach to dealing with transfer interest in your players otherwise you'll likely end up wit the same frustrations.

Is there some kind of number of players to league ratio you should be aiming for. I want to manage in england. Is it worth adding some non playable

No such number exists but a good rule of thumb is to go with is use a small database when loading just the top divisions of the major nations or a very small number of nations, medium if you're loading the top couple of divisions of the major nations & some of lower rep nations & a large/custom database should only be considered if if you're running most or all of the playable divisions.

View-only leagues are not a worthwhile option as you'll need to add the players via the advanced database settings otherwise most clubs will use virtual (grey) players which means they do not need to sign anyone & even with the extra players loaded clubs in those leagues still tend to be less active in signing players because of limits place on the processing requirements of view-only leagues.

Thanks for the tips.

Ive going to try 12 nations. 32 leagues. 61,000 players.

So that should be about double the teams with 25% less players. I'm guessing with my current save theres so many players and so few active teams that theres an over abundance of players that clubs dont need to buy as theres loads of good ones floating around on frees.

Fingers crossed really cos it will take a fair few days to see if it worked or not. If this doesnt work I'm thinking it might be a problem if you start lower league

Another tip is that since the introduction of form being a factor in transfer decisions it is better to run club competitions in full detail as that will help reduce the impact of player rep in the decision making process of AI managers/DoF's & it also increases the variety of tactics used by AI managers which will also help create a more varied transfer market.

I disagree with Barside on size of database, if in doubt always select small.

Looking at your setup above 32 leagues * say 20 teams per league * say 50 players per team = 32k players required to fill the playable squads. You then need more to fill some of the unplayable teams and give you something to work with so 61k players seems ok.

Expectations also need to be realistic though. Managing in England the level of league tends to be higher than the equivalent league overseas which is a negative towards players moving to a foreign league. On top of that virtually no club lower than the Championship ever sells a player for money, the rare occasions are when you have a talented player who is playing beneath himself that you can sell to a Championship club or above. You should never expect to sell or buy players for money if both clubs are below Championship level.

I disagree with Barside on size of database, if in doubt always select small.
How dare you. :D

The reason that the player/team ratio doesn't quite work is that there needs to a breadth of rep values, if there aren't enough players of a rep within the range that clubs outside of the top divisions look for then it can cause a bottleneck where they cannot find suitable transfer targets which is why based on my experience of working on the transfer module I tend towards recommending a default medium database.

Its not about making money, just in my old save it felt like I was playing in the bubble, my players never generated interest from the AI, the AI had no interest in signing players, judging from the odd bid I got they just take the odd punt here and there, despite the fact all I sign are great young prospects playing out of their skin that could play two leagues higher. I never got challenged in trying to sign them. Good players are left unsigned. My players never got poached, at one point I stopped giving them contracts. I never had to lose a player to poaching AI or was tempted to sell a player I didnt want to. 99% of them never even got a bid. It made the game a bit boring and easier the fact I could keep hold of these players so easily.

And that could be down to the fact that in my save these players are 10 a penny.

Looking at who the clubs signed instead of your players can help with understanding why they went elsewhere, it's also worth looking at your players information tab's as if they have a strong link to your club or you then they are tougher to sign for other clubs because they are more likely to seek inflated contract terms to leave a club &/or manager they love.

There is no rational explanation for my old save. It just wasnt working

Ive set all the competition detail to max, that takes a star hit. I never noticed that option before. Surprised its hidden away.

Ive already noticed a difference, a tried to sign a few players and the AI also came in for them.

There will have been a rational explanation for the transfer behaviour on your old save although I will admit that the reasons can be difficult to spot & I do have an advantage over anyone else on the boards when it comes to understanding the transfer system.

Ive heard lots of reasoning why things dont happen, club, reputation, wages, players. Its impossible that theres an excuse for every single player in every situation in every league over so many years with a club thats constantly changing. Ive been every club type possible in this one save. Ive been favourites to go down and favourites to go up. Ive had the lowest wages in the league. Ive covered every possibile situation. Ive played in every league, Ive been one of the smallest teams in the nation and one of the biggest and all the ones inbetween, and every rep and every wage type.

And if there is some rational explanation then its wrong, and there shouldnt be a rational explanation coded that makes it so theres a rational explanation putting teams off every time. Its too goldilocks in that case.

If this new setup does work, then I think it would be a good idea if SI have some kind of warning on your save that points out that your set up could have a negative effect cos I dont think its good to let players unknowingly set up their game that might give them an off putting experience. I'm experienced with FM and Ive struggled with getting this to work.

Another tip is that since the introduction of form being a factor in transfer decisions it is better to run club competitions in full detail as that will help reduce the impact of player rep in the decision making process of AI managers/DoF's & it also increases the variety of tactics used by AI managers which will also help create a more varied transfer market.

I didn't know that so thanks for that and I'll try it in my save.

There is no rational explanation for my old save. It just wasnt working

Ive set all the competition detail to max, that takes a star hit. I never noticed that option before. Surprised its hidden away.

Ive already noticed a difference, a tried to sign a few players and the AI also came in for them.

Just the one star hit? When I change the whole 'Set Club Competition Detail Levels' from default to maximum, my estimated game speed goes from 5* to just ½*

I am running 12 nations with 22 divisions so instead, I went into each country's settings and set only the top divisions in each one to 'all' and this has made it 3½* and I think I can live with that.

Might have been a 1.5 star drop. To be honest mate it dont seem to run any different no matter what star you put it at. I'm not sure it even works the star thing. I did all that extra stuff I was unwilling too because I was scared it would effect performance and its no different to when I didnt, I'm tempted to push it even further.

Archived