4-2-3-1 conceding too many goals

I'm conceding too many goals. I started the season with a normal defensive line with the two CB on defend. I changed the defense line to deeper and one CB to blocking and the other to cover. It did not solve the problem. Any advice on how to improve?

Goals: 44 scored; 33 conceded. 12W, 7D, 4L.

I'm in january 2016 in third, 5 point off the top.

beYcHWu.png

oFYl2mf.png

I think it is because the mentality you chose and the player roles that made you concede too many goals. Your two FB is on auto and atk duty along with Control mentality for your team made both of your FB will often surging forwards in attack and made your defence become fragile. Also, you have too many players on attack duty, which did not help at all in making your teams concede fewer goals.

1. Your formation is your defensive positioning, so you have 4 players very advanced. Since they won't be getting back naturally, and with an attacking team mentality (control) plus attack duties they will risk not tracking back. The best way they can help defend is by pressing.

2. You have 4 advanced attacking players, your central midfield needs some bite and depending how Alli and Bentaleb have developed I think they won't be good enough defensively to provide that solid base, especially if your fullbacks get forward. You've even set central three as all playmakers which shows your expecting more from them with the ball than without it... who's doing the "dirty" work?

3. Your right flank is very attacking with just a DLP-D to cover them and a CD-St who will step out and potentially cause a chain reaction of getting pulled out of position.

Also consider how a player's PPMs and default PIs for the selected role may affect that players' behaviour, in conjunction with the pretty attack minded Control mentality.

Have a look at Walker to start with to see what I mean.

your central midfield needs some bite and depending how Alli and Bentaleb have developed I think they won't be good enough defensively to provide that solid base

Would setting Alli to a BBM help him to fulfil both attacking and defensive responsibilities?

Alli is terrible in creative roles first couple of seasons, Does brilliant for me as a box to box though. Id also suggest playing wing backs and a narrow possession system so you can get overlaps going. Possession is the best way to defend but you need movement to keep possession and make sure you havnt got Lloris smashing it forward.

Check out the pairs and combinations pdf which you can download from these forums because that's helped me a lot. Sitter runner creator midfield would be ideal as Spurs.

It's unbalanced by the looks of it.

Here's what I would do, to get the proper balance:

fl9V3go.png

Remember that by default, the 4-2-3-1 is very aggressive given that you have essentially 4 forward players. In your setup 3 of them are on attacking duties. Also, Kane is set up as a TM, which will induce crosses towards him. It can ruin potentially good attacking play. I like the fact that you are using a deeper defensive line in this system, although with the quality in the team you could very well go for a little more risk in that department. Higher d-line tends to yield more defensively solid play with the right settings.

Would setting Alli to a BBM help him to fulfil both attacking and defensive responsibilities?

He will try to do both. It's hard to do your defensive duties when you just made a run into the opponents box. Generally a DLP(d) is defensively more solid because he stays back and guards the space in front of the defensive line better.

btw. I think one of the major problems wasn't necessarily the unbalanced role selection but also trying to play an aggressive defensive style (control mentality) with a lot of players playing high up the pitch but also a deep defensive line. That is a good way to create an ocean of space in front of your defensive line. Usually when you play a pressing defense you want to deny the opponent space so you can actually close them down properly and win the ball back, not back off and allow them to play their game while your players are running around trying to chase the ball down.

I used to have lots of problems with the most defensively minded central midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, I used to use some combination of a CM (D) and a DLP (D) with little success until I settled on a BWM (D). Seems to work well with a BBM for me. Just out of interest, why are you using three playmakers? I'd just stick with Eriksen as a AP(A).

I find if you put the AM® and AM(L) as support they'll track back more often as well, so that might help with Barbosa.

I'll be doing this changes: counter attack mentality; the two CB on defend; left back defend. As soon as I have a decent replacement for Bentaleb it will be a defensive minded player.

Alli is one of my best players, based on his rankings.

The players attributes affect what they can do, your instructions affect what they will try to do. You need to balance what you ask of a player with what your asking the other players to do. If he's roamed forward and you lose the ball, who will cover for him? Will have work hard to get back to defend? Can he do that all game? Where will he roam if you have lots of players with more attacking responsibilities?

Personally I would consider 433 DM Wide with Dier in DMC. Eriksen pulled back to MCL with Alli to MCR. The formation doesn't require as much pressing as the 4231 Wide but can still have the issue of the attacking wide players not tracking back.

Made several changes based in you input... and in second game I trashed the leaders Manchester City by 5-2 :D

Whats more important than the scoreline is understanding why you won, so you can repeat it again and again.

Archived