Wingerless 4-1-3-1-1

I remember a long time ago I played an intense multiplayer game in FM08, where I took Fiorentina (predicted to finish 7th or 8th) and won the Serie A in my first season. My basis was to play a wingerless 4-5-1, as I felt the wingers were underpowered, and though not to the same extent today, this problem still persists.

I took Getafe with media prediction 20th, and I am now 3rd in the league 2/3 into the season. Surprisingly, as I was setting out for defensive solidity, I have actually scored quite a few goals and the team is playing some exciting football at times.

Has anyone had success with this sort of formation?

My tactics are as follows:

CF-S

AP-A

BWM-S BBM-S/CM-A BWM-S/BBM-S

DLP-D

CWB-A CD-D CD-D CWB-A

Flexible-Counter - will sometimes change to Structured-Defensive for tough away games or Fluid-Attacking when chasing games (replacing a BWM-S with a DLF-S, changing the CF-S to a CF-A and pushing the DLP-D up in the left-central midfield slot).

Team Instructions:

Fairly Wide - Play from Defence - Play Through Middle - Pass Into Space - Look for Overlap (I will sometimes remove Look for Overlap when trying to speed up the tempo). I also go Slightly Deeper when playing against strong teams or very pacey strikers.

Opponent Instructions:

Close down DL, DR, ML/AML, MR/AMR, Weak foot on ML/AML, MR/AMR and ST

My transfers have been very mediocre too - I sold my star player Pedro Leon (AMR) for 10 million euros, and used the money to bring in Zeca (BWM from Panathinaikos), Sergio Leon (Striker from Segunda Division as back-up to Alvaro Vasquez), Osmar (Spanish DLP who is good in the air from FC Seoul) and another Peruvian BWM/BBM from Peru with little international experience and never having played in Europe.

The team is playing very well, and the CWBs have been absolutely key to my system. What I have found whilst trying out multiple tactics and even watching Full Matches, is that players out wide often had the chance to put in a good cross, but would rather dribble a bit closer to the Byline where, though they might win a corner, they would rarely get a cross in as opposed to when they were several metres back. This system lets the CWBs make lots of important crosses. I am getting the type of chances and threats I would have expected from tactics with ML/AML. Obviously, the risk comes from being overlapped on the wings, but BWMs with decent speed and strength offer decent cover.

Any thoughts on wingerless systems that pack the midfield with decent midfielders with well-rounded physical stats?

I finished on equal 3rd with Athletic Bilbao at the end of my first season, but 4th on GD I think or goals against. Started 2nd season, with a lot of low-key but effective transfers and easily made it into the Champions League group stages. The big difference between 1st and 2nd season is that I have quite a bit of cash which I have spent astutely to bring depth to my team, which it didn't have in the 1st season.

This tactic is very good. I have also improved remarkably defensively by playing FB-A rather than CBW-A. The FB-A is still just as threatening up front.

I have also improved remarkably defensively by playing FB-A rather than CBW-A. The FB-A is still just as threatening up front.

Someone else who probably had to learn the hard way! I persisted with wingbacks a long time before I saw the light of the FB-A!

Personally im really drawn to lone wide men formations from a squad building perspective. I have a similar 4132 winger-less set up on a 10+yr save .  I play Flex balance, high press high line high tempo with play through middle and play wider. CWBa on both sides with a DMd b2b - AP or CMa - b2b mid set up. Box to box midfielders are great if they have space in front to run into coupled with a defensive lynch pin behind. I wouldnt really use CWB unless you have pretty special fullbacks though. 

My view is that crosses are both a great asset in attack and the bane of your defensive system. As a result i would caution against sitting deeper and inviting pressure due to your  defensively soft wide spots.  Personally i think i higher line is essential in such cases. The best way to defend the cross is to stop it before it comes in. 

On 28/07/2016 at 19:28, SirSpecialness said:

Personally im really drawn to lone wide men formations from a squad building perspective. I have a similar 4132 winger-less set up on a 10+yr save .  I play Flex balance, high press high line high tempo with play through middle and play wider. CWBa on both sides with a DMd b2b - AP or CMa - b2b mid set up. Box to box midfielders are great if they have space in front to run into coupled with a defensive lynch pin behind. I wouldnt really use CWB unless you have pretty special fullbacks though. 

My view is that crosses are both a great asset in attack and the bane of your defensive system. As a result i would caution against sitting deeper and inviting pressure due to your  defensively soft wide spots.  Personally i think i higher line is essential in such cases. The best way to defend the cross is to stop it before it comes in. 

I'm intrigued by your system - how are you faring? Also you told me your midfield combination but what roles do you give your AMC and ST?

Archived