Goalie match ratings

I found a few threads from earlier iterations of FM, but can't seem to find one from 16, so just wondering if others are experiencing "inflated" or plain wrong match ratings for GKs?

Just won a cup match 10-2, a plain old thrashing, completely routed the opposition, but they got two goals back (the first after we went 5-0 up, the second at 9-1, so never any danger), from a grand total of three - 3 - shots during the entire match, of which two - 2 - were actual shots on goal. Which means that my goalie didn't make a single save, faced two shots and let them both in, even the commentary for the second implicated that he really should've saved that one.

Still, he get's a 7.7 rating!

This leads me to think that his rating is tied to the rest of the team, rather than his own performance, anyone else thinking something like that? The average rating for the starting 11 was 8.8, and for all my players 8.5. The GK "should" (not really, but you know what I mean) have gotten 8.5, but got a penalty of 0.8 due to the conceded goals? Just a lame theory I just came up with, but still?

I dont really understand the gkers ratings, I rarely see a good performance from either Gker.

I think its more to do with his other stats like passing stats then his Gker stats, conceding goals and saving them are like 0.1 change, mistakes might take a 0.5 off, since I got my keeper to have a high passing accuracy his ratings are much better.

There has always been a bit of a mystery about how GKs are rated- I recall a pre-season game from about 15 years ago when my team won 13-0 against our amateur feeder team, every player on my team got a rating of 9 or over and my keeper who didnt have a shot on target to deal with got 9.5!

At the moment, however, I have a very successful team but the 2 lowest rated players in my squad are the 2 GKs, despite the lack of opposition goals.

This is one of the things that have been bugging me in quite a few recent FMs. I think a disproportionate 'value' is attached to saves which the engine perceives as 'difficult': I was paying close attention to goalkeeper ratings for a few matches and noticed them jump up considerably after just one good save. However, it seems to largely disregard the total number of saves, including those that look absolutely brilliant in 3D representation - close range reflex saves, long athletic dives etc. I've seen amazing performances from the opposition GKs against me, they might make 10-15 saves a match, even though conceding a couple of goals, and they still end up with 6.7 or some other nonsense. Then again, I'm sure it's difficult to find the right balance between rewarding goalkeepers and keeping their match ratings from being constantly inflated.

If anything I've found GK ratings to be underated. David De Gea barely gets a 7.0 for me, he averaged 6.85 last season despite 33 clean sheets in 60 games, conceding less goals than the amount of games hes played & winning the EPL golden gloves award.

I'm at Chelsea with a couple regens in 2033, neither one of them is above a 6.95, even with multiple clean sheets and making some fairly impressive saves. As long as they keep the ball out, I don't care what their ratings are.

There has always been a bit of a mystery about how GKs are rated- I recall a pre-season game from about 15 years ago when my team won 13-0 against our amateur feeder team, every player on my team got a rating of 9 or over and my keeper who didnt have a shot on target to deal with got 9.5!

Goalies do more than stop shots, you know? He must have done a hell of a job organizing his defense. :lol:

I see wonder saves, acknowledged as such in the commentary/stats, get no change in rating or an increase of 0.1 at most, on a frequent basis. String a few of those together and you would expect MoM level ratings, but that will result in a 7.0ish level. Let in a goal or two from unstoppable shots/defensive mistakes, that will be closer to 6.5

Goalie ratings definitely need to be tweaked, and good (or better) saves rewarded accordingly. I have also seen goalie ratings drop when the play hasn't been anywhere near them, which is very bizarre

Archived