[FM13] The Scandinavian Shankly: smashing the status quo

withnail316

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

The other three clubs were NAC Breda, Groningen and Heerenveen, but I've had an offer from the other club which I'm very happy with. Update coming soon. 

Good selection. I look forward to it.

Club badge.png

Football Club Utrecht

(From Wiki)

Football Club Utrecht is a Dutch football club founded on 1 July 1970 and based in the city of Utrecht, the fourth largest in the Netherlands. The club's colours are red and white.

FC Utrecht was founded in 1970 as a merger of three clubs from the city of Utrecht: VV DOS, USV Elinkwijk and Velox, the former of the three having won the national championship in 1958.

FC Utrecht has won the KNVB Cup three times in, 1985, 2003 and 2004, also winning the Johan Cruijff Shield in 2004. After winning the Johan Cruijff Shield, Utrecht became the first club outside the "Big Three" of Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV to win the trophy. Utrecht is also the only club outside the Big Three that has never been relegated from the top-flight Eredivisie.

The club play their football at the 24,426 Galgenwaard Stadion, which has been their home since 1970. 

Stadium.jpg

(From FM)

The club have spent the last few years in the bottom half of the table, with two 10th place finishes and an 11th in the last three years. Unsurprisingly, the media expect us to finish around 10th again, and I sign a four-year deal with a mid-table brief. The first thing I note about the club is the fan-base: there are 17,000 season ticket holders, while the club has good training facilities and average youth facilities. I'll have at least an eye on the youth side as I have every intention of bringing through talented youngsters where possible, so I'll hope for an upgrade in the near future. 

Interestingly, the club has rivalries with two of the 'Big Three'. Feyenoord and ADO Den Haag are considered rivals, but the real venom is saved for Ajax. Lovely. 

Oh, and here's one thing that really caught my attention: the stadium has the potential to double in size! 

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

*exhales*

Excellent choice!

Thanks! It's a mid-range club in the league, but it feels like there is real potential to grow, and yet it is still a step up from Sweden. That applies to all four of the clubs I was interested in, but I'm glad I didn't have to wait too long for one to become available. 

Club badge.png

Football Club Utrecht
Season preview 2018/19

Media expectation: 10th (of 18)
Board expectation: achieve a safe, mid-table position

Transfer budget (remaining): €215,000
Wage budget: €97,000p/w (€3,000p/w under budget)

A very short period to get bedded into the club after my arrival, but the season will wait for no man. This update will be fairly short as I've only just arrived, but here we go. 

My assistant told me the squad was in reasonable shape, and while I don't entirely trust his judgement, I don't have time this summer for major squad surgery, so I better hope he is right. The board had only made €1.5m available for transfers, and we spent just under €1m of that on winger Said de Jong from Ajax, while Mickael Thiriet joined for €375,000 from KV Mechelen. Winger Peter Van Dijk joined on loan from PSV, as did versatile defender Erik van den Berg, although the former hasn't cost us a penny. We also picked up Vasco Nunes and Sekou Tidiane Angban on free transfers, while I'm still trying to persuade Morgan Boggi to join us, too. 

There was only one player leaving the club and that was Timothy van den Berg, who joined Go Ahead Eagles for €350,000 before I had arrived at the club. 

I'm also hoping to get a couple of our youngsters involved, although I suspect this year may be too soon for either of them. Still, both have a huge future at this club:

Gerry%20Vissers.png

Roel%20Lagendijk.png

12 hours ago, deltablue said:

Great start with having Lagendijk, another swan in the making?

Both of them look quite handy, and I would hope to have both in the first team in two years. I'll keep them at the club this year and let them develop a little, before loaning them out next season, I think. 

It turns out my transfer window wasn't quite done. Firstly we spent €500,000 on solid central defender Ferry de Regt from VVV, and on transfer deadline day we loaned in PSG youngster Jean Roy for an extra body in midfield. I had tried to bring in the familiar figure of Sondre Tronstad, but I forgot how much of a tool his agent was, so that deal became impossible, despite the two clubs agreeing a fee. C'est la vie. There was also a deal in the backroom staff, with the removal of my assistant. I simply couldn't trust his judgement of our players, so he was given a cool €500,000 and walked away with our best wishes. 

There was also a few players leaving the club, with midfielder Jordy Zwarthoed joining Lech Poznan for €1.5m, and striker Jip Bartels joining Lierse for €1m. We also loaned out Takagi to RKC just to cut our wage bill, although realistically he has no future with us. 

August

August%2018%20results.png

August%2018%20table.png

Really pleased with the way the season has started, although I must admit I'm somewhat surprised. Our performance against Ajax was a complete shock (not to mention a great way of getting the fans onside) although the next two games were a little bit of a disappointment performance wise. Now we've hit the international break, I'm hoping a couple of weeks of training will allow us to get up to speed with our training, and so hopefully performances can improve as the season goes on. Still, very satisfied with our start. 

September

September%2018%20results.png

September%2018%20table.png

The international break did us a massive favour in allowing the players to become more accustomed to my style of play, and now we seem to be flying. A perfect month, capped off with an outstanding home win against Sparta. I've also agreed deals with all the players whose contracts were running down who I wanted to keep, which became possible when the board made more money for wages available. They've also agreed to spend €2.3m on upgrading our youth facilities. Lovely stuff. 

October

October%2018%20results.png

October%2018%20table.png

A couple of disappointing results this month, but I can't really fault the performances. We were excellent in the game with AZ, and were it not for a questionable offside decision we would have picked up a point. PSV meanwhile are on fire at the start of the season, but it took two goals in the last 8 minutes for them to beat us in front of a capacity crowd. We were too strong for NAC Breda, and if we can keep this kind of form up we have a chance of being involved in the European race come the end of the season. 

Speaking of Europe, the board have agreed a deal with PSG to become our new parent club, which could prove fruitful over the next couple of seasons. We've also taken on FC Volendam of the second tier as a feeder club, and I'll be tempted to loan both of our promising youngsters come January. 

On 9/1/2016 at 02:37, withnail316 said:

Certainly a Woodgate-type performance. I wonder if I can tempt Tottenham into buying him...

Well if he goes on to net a Wembley winner against Chavski he would be worth every penny they pay. :D

---------------------------------------

Great start with the win against Ajax in your opening game and a good start in overall.

13 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I don't tend to have that many injuries, but it can get a little rough out there

Thankfully nothing is too serious, but I've never seen anything like it. During training we seem to be ok, so maybe it is a tactical thing. 

22 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Well if he goes on to net a Wembley winner against Chavski he would be worth every penny they pay. :D

---------------------------------------

Great start with the win against Ajax in your opening game and a good start in overall.

Cheers, man. 

November

November%2018%20results.png

November%2018%20table.png

An unbelievably busy month, but bar the last-minute loss to Feyenoord, we've been outstanding. At this stage, only PSV have scored more goals than us, and I'm beginning to think we have a chance of squeezing in to the top 4 this year, which would mean avoiding the European play offs. 

December

December%2018%20results.png

December%2018%20table.png

A bit of a rotten month, to be honest. Two poor performances, and while we improved for the game with Ajax, they were just that bit better than us on the day. The board weren't best impressed with us crashing out the cup in the last 16, but all in all they're pretty happy with my first six months at the club. 

I've been very, very busy in the transfer window, although every deal has been for next season. We've brought in six players on Bosman deals, and all of them are Dutch. Which is nice. This year we've had something of a shortage in midfield, with only two of our own central midfield players who are good enough to stay at the club, as well as Jean Roy who is on loan. We'll have five players to choose from for the heart of midfield next year after signing three midfielders. 

Ruud%20van%20den%20Dungen.png

Cor%20Smits.png

Peter%20Van%20Dijk.png
(Van Dijk has been with us on loan this year, so signing him permanently was an easy decision)

Henk%20de%20Waal.png

Fouad%20Hofkamp.png

Filip%20Isailovic.png

January

January%2019%20results.png

January%2019%20table.png

Just the two games in January, but a much improved month. We were magnificent in the win against Roda, and despite trailing twice in Arnhem we had the character to get something out of the game. We're looking good for a top-6 finish now, although my target is 4th, which would be an exceptional first season in the Eredivisie. 

4 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Best of the rest behind Ajax, PSV, AZ and Feyenoord is an excellent season for Utrecht's level.

Definitely, and if we can split them, even better! 4th means avoiding the EL domestic play offs too, so that has to be my target. 

February

February%2019%20results.png

February%2019%20table.png

The pattern of recent months continues, meaning we're excellent at home and poor on the road. We've won 6 games away from home in the league, but our last victory was back in November, so I'm trying to make a few tweaks to turn that form around. Fortunately, only three of our last 8 games are away from home, and so hopefully that poor form shouldn't have too much of an impact on our push for Europe next season. 

March

March%2019%20results.png

March%2019%20table.png

An away win, at long last! A good month for us, and which ensures a 6th place finish at the absolute minimum for us. We've put in three really good performances, although I know we need to tighten up defensively as we shouldn't be conceding three goals in any home game. We have however lost key striker Leon de Kogel to injury for the rest of the season - and probably for any European qualifiers next year, too. 

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

His excellent OTB will easily make up for any pace issues.

The biggest issue is I don't use an AM at the moment. Very much 4-4 f'in 2, so finding a role for him will be a challenge. Still, plenty of time for my system to evolve before he's challenging for a place.

Just now, withnail316 said:

The biggest issue is I don't use an AM at the moment. Very much 4-4 f'in 2, so finding a role for him will be a challenge. Still, plenty of time for my system to evolve before he's challenging for a place.

Won't fit in as one of your CM's?

Archived