4-2-3-1: MC's, ST's & Positions

Just some random questions, looking for feedback, help & thoughts from other players:

1. In a system where you play 1 man uptop, how many strikers do you have? I'm Man United so only really have 2.....Rooney & Martial. I lost Rooney for 2/3 of last season which effectively meant Martial started every game regardless & I only had Wilson as a backup who wasn't very impressive or good enough to challange for a starting slot. I almost feel like having 2 strikers isn't enough, but 3 is too much. Any 3rd striker I sign is going to struggle to play, so it seems like a waste signing an established player. I don't know if I should use a potential 3rd striker as a youngster who can bounce from senior & U-21 teams. Unfortunatly I don't have "forward" type players whio can play in midfield or up front alternatively (well, apart from Rooney who i use as a striker). I almost liken strikers in this formation to GK's, where you only have 2 or 3 of them.

2. How often do your MC's score? Admittedly I'm happy for my AML, AMC & AMR to do the attack work & not bothered if my MC's hold position. I know its also dependant upon player roles, but heres my MC players stats from last season based on all competitive club games. Is this normal or should they be chipping in with more goals:

Player Appearances Goals Comments

Carrick 38 (7) 5 2 pens

Schniederlin 36 (8) 0

Schweinsteiger 16 (13) 2 2 pens

Fellaini 19 (14) 1

Herrera 40 (11) 2

3. Do you experiment with players roles or do you usually jsut go what the best is in the green pie chart? I generally take the word of the chart, but for example it says Luke Shaw's best role is Full back, then wing back but I'd like to see how he does as a Complete Full back. I'm a tad worried as Mata missed a huge chunk of my season injured but before that prior to injury he was on fire with goals, assists & avg. rating playing AMC. The problem is I can't remember what role I was using him in. AP or AM and as S or A.......I'm inclined to go with AM & A to ensure he gets more goals but I don't know if this is best for him. Similarly, Herera played most of the 2nd half of the season as AMC as an AP S......yet only got 2 goals & 8 assists which seems pretty weak from that role.

1 - I would tend to have two main strikers that rotate, hopefully a promising youngster to give a bit of game time to develop, then one or two of my AM strata players who are capable of playing up top if needed - particularly if your striker is a "creative" role, then many AMCs can slot in nicely there even if they're not perfectly trained as an ST.

2 - The MCs' job in this formation is to shield the backline and provide a link to the front 4. If my MCs are regularly getting into scoring positions, then they're not where they're supposed to be. Set plays aside, I really wouldn't be expecting much in the way of goals.

3 - I use what fits my tactic, not what the player is best at. Of course, I like to acquire players who's attributes, and thus "best" role fits what my tactic demands, but I'd much rather have a not quite optimal player doing the right job, than a player doing a non-optimal job that he happens to be really good at. So, if you want to play with an attacking LB, don't be at all afraid to play Shaw as a CWB. Provided his attributes aren't utterly inappropriate (say, if he had 5 for dribbling and crossing, which I'm pretty sure isn;t the case), he should be fine there if it's the right role for your tactics.

Ideally I'd have a youngster or winger/AMC who also can play as a striker but just now thats not really the case - James Wilson is literally my only other option & I can't really find anyone else to sign that would fit into there, so fornow I'll just leave it with Rooney & Martial as the main 2 & hope ionjuries don't shoot me in the foot & that Wilson improves. There was a 3 game spell where I had Martial & Rooney both out & had no choice but to play Wilson whic wasn't much fun.

Decied I'll just try using some of these players in what looks like "lesser" roles based on the pie chart & see how I get on.

Archived