Which teams/managers mainly play 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation

Which teams/managers mainly play 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation? Or similar formations?

I became interested in this formation after watching Italy in Euro 2016.

I heard apart from Conte, Wales also used similar formation.

Can anyone give some details?

I've just started a save with Watford and they're team is made for it (apart from Stephen Berghuis as he's a winger but no great loss). They're lacking a bit in the striker department but have a decent team with plenty of room to grow.

Hull often use it depending on who they're playing and who they have available to them. They have two fantastic young players who can play wing backs in Robertson and Odubajo.

I'm pretty sure Bristol Rovers use 3 centre backs as well.

You could argue that Chile under Sampaoli kind of used a 3-5-2/5-3-2 at times.

Germanys use of the 5-3-2 against Italy is worth studying.

Bristol Rovers did indeed use a 5-3-2/5-3-2 as did Bristol City under Steve Cotterill.

Van Gaal at Holland w/c'14 and Man Utd also used it.

They all vary in their execution of the 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 though.

Giampiero Ventura's Torino is the closest to the Conte/Italian application that you will find.

I've just started a save with Watford and they're team is made for it (apart from Stephen Berghuis as he's a winger but no great loss). They're lacking a bit in the striker department but have a decent team with plenty of room to grow.

Hull often use it depending on who they're playing and who they have available to them. They have two fantastic young players who can play wing backs in Robertson and Odubajo.

I'm pretty sure Bristol Rovers use 3 centre backs as well.

Watford have Ighalo, who is a nightmare to defend against in FM. They are lacking in depth, certainly not quality :D

A lot of Italian teams use/have used 532 or one of its variants: 541 (one striker, one AM), 3421, 343...

Juventus

Torino

Udinese

Palermo (with Iachini)

Genoa

Fiorentina

Sampdoria (with Montella)

Verona (occasionally, with Mandorlini)

even Roma and Inter have played with 3 central defenders for a couple of matches (and disastrous results).

And this is just Serie A 2015-16.

Note that the current trend is to couple a more defend-minded wingback with a more attacking one, so that the final result looks more like an asymmetric 442 rather than a classic 532.

For instance: Evra+Cuadrado (Juventus), Alonso+Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), De Sciglio+Candreva (Italian National Team).

Current Watford manager Mazzarri is another fan of 3-at-the-back formations.

I'm going to post a fairly long post up in the tactical forum in the Antonio Conte masterclass thread in the next day or so. I've started a dual management save with Watford and Italy and have tried to base my system on what Italy play. And yes @oneronaldo, Ighalo is sensational!

Archived