Germany v Italy| Quarter Final| BBC 1 20.00

I (still) hate Team Italy so much. Please someone tell them the point of the game is not to kick the ball mindlessly for 120 minutes. You should actually try to win by scoring some goals.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I (still) hate Team Italy so much. Please someone tell them the point of the game is not to kick the ball mindlessly for 120 minutes. You should actually try to win by scoring some goals.

Yea, because you can go on attack the world champion with players like Parolo, Sturaro, Pelle and Giaccherini.

Italy's two best midfielders (Verratti, Marchisio) didn't even come to EURO because of injuries and two best replacements (De Rossi, Motta) weren't available for the game today.

Their best offensive midfielder during the tournament (Candreva) got injured.

Why didn't Germany create anything with all those class players they have? Why did Low decide to field 3 central defenders and two fullbacks instead? Nobody says anything about that.

I have never seen such a poor series of penalties...

Still, the slightly less undeserving side went through, albeit it was really a poor game, probably courtesy of Italy's uber-defensive style... Not that Germany did a lot more, further proof than boring possession-oriented football is useless against a well-organized defense, and it's a "fad" that won't die down soon enough!

P.S. the downside of such a close game is that Italy will now rely on the "penalties are a lottery, we can be very proud of ourselves" excuse, failing to address the huge flaws in the squad, both technical and mental

Yea, because you can go on attack the world champion with players like Parolo, Sturaro, Pelle and Giaccherini.

Italy's two best midfielders (Verratti, Marchisio) didn't even come to EURO because of injuries and two best replacements (De Rossi, Motta) weren't available for the game today.

Their best offensive midfielder during the tournament (Candreva) got injured.

Why didn't Germany create anything with all those class players they have? Why did Low decide to field 3 central defenders and two fullbacks instead? Nobody says anything about that.

As if Italy doesn't have a long and stupendously boring history of defensive football. :lol:

As if Italy doesn't have a long and stupendously boring history of defensive football. :lol:

Well, if you're a fan of defenses who're missing only Benny Hill theme song, then I guess you enjoyed the game from yesterday.

The thing is that people started complaining so much about the defensive football over the past decade (maybe since Greek win in 2004) and in vast majority of games with one really defensive team, that team would have no chance if they started playing offensively.

If you dislike that, you dislike football. Maybe go switch to some other sport.

Someone clearly has no idea about football as a tactical sport.

It was a great tactic to bring Zaza on to take a penalty.:lol:

Can't think of another penalty shoot-out I have seen that I enjoyed as much as that one, Zaza and Pelle misses were just hilarious and Ozil missing again.:D

well that's going to be Chelsea next year.. enjoy

Not really.

I suggest you to watch how Juventus played when Conte was hired in his first season.

It seems nobody understands how the quality of Italy in this tournament was really poor and actually they got a great achievement bringing the world champions to penalties. But all it counts is win after all. So the side that loses sucks.

Yeh I think we did well tbh. Can only go so far with hard work before the lack of talent shows. Even a side like Wales, who have all thst stuff thrown at them too about team spirit etc., have a bit of quality in Ramsey and Bale. Italy had no-one like that at this tournament. Not in midfield and attack anyway.

Italy is not about flair and ballet. It's about hardness and block movements. Remember 2006, everybody sending them home in the group stages, then after Australia, then before Germany, and then before Zidane's France.

Italy has always been the underdog, always.

Italy is not about flair and ballet. It's about hardness and block movements. Remember 2006, everybody sending them home in the group stages, then after Australia, then before Germany, and then before Zidane's France.

Italy has always been the underdog, always.

Yeh but 2006 had talented players. Not loads, but enough to see them through with their defence. Pirlo and Totti (eventually) were enough.

And they played beautifully, huh?

Italy's style has always been pragmatic. They won 4 WC that way.

Italy did really good in this Euros, you cannot compare them to the Millenial's German style. Especially with the amount of key players who were missing.

Still, you won't turn Italy into a flourished team with their key players on. They will be even more pragmatic, instead. Which is frightening.

Yeh I think we did well tbh. Can only go so far with hard work before the lack of talent shows. Even a side like Wales, who have all thst stuff thrown at them too about team spirit etc., have a bit of quality in Ramsey and Bale. Italy had no-one like that at this tournament. Not in midfield and attack anyway.

You can't be too reliant on one or two key players either. Sides like Argentina (more or less built around Messi) and Portugal (obviously built around Ronaldo) have learned (or not) the hard way with their lack of trophies despite the obvious talent. something you can't say about Wales is that they built their team around Bale or Ramsey. Bale didn't really do all that much that was decisive vs Belgium yet the rest of the time had stormers. Of course, having those players is a necessity to lift the overall level of the team but the tactics aren't set up to play almost entirely through them.

You can't be too reliant on one or two key players either.

With that lack of quality I think they could make a small difference. You'll never see Italy playing flamboyant matches, it's not in our DNA and when we try to do something new it turns to be a disaster (WC 2014?), so I think talking about how Italy plays is quite redundant in my opinion.

And after all we lost on penalties. We could win on penalties but that's how sport goes. Germany had more possession, nothing more. Considering the men on the pitch, it was quite a poor performance from them.

With that lack of quality I think they could make a small difference. You'll never see Italy playing flamboyant matches, it's not in our DNA and when we try to do something new it turns to be a disaster (WC 2014?), so I think talking about how Italy plays is quite redundant in my opinion.

And after all we lost on penalties. We could win on penalties but that's how sport goes. Germany had more possession, nothing more. Considering the men on the pitch, it was quite a poor performance from them.

Better playing poor and winning than playing good and loosing. Germany can´t win against Italy in the past, now they won. That is the point. Do you really think, that anybody in Germany is worrying about good/bad playing now - ok - Mehmet Scholl, but that is another story :)

You can't be too reliant on one or two key players either. Sides like Argentina (more or less built around Messi) and Portugal (obviously built around Ronaldo) have learned (or not) the hard way with their lack of trophies despite the obvious talent. something you can't say about Wales is that they built their team around Bale or Ramsey. Bale didn't really do all that much that was decisive vs Belgium yet the rest of the time had stormers. Of course, having those players is a necessity to lift the overall level of the team but the tactics aren't set up to play almost entirely through them.

I didnt say build the team round anyone. And I didn't say Wales did either. So not really sure where you're going with this.

All I said was that Italy didn't have any talented players to complement the hard work and great defence. Add Verratti and a quality second striker and the team is transformed

What a game! Probably the best penalty shootout I've seen :thup:

When Özil missed I really thought it was over (how silly of me- as if Germany would Loose a pnalty shootout :D). Some of the penalties were really bad and Hector's Winner was really Lucky to go through :cool:

Archived