Germany v Italy| Quarter Final| BBC 1 20.00

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Said before the replay I'm guessing? Very, very blatant penalty. Unbelievably stupid from Boateng.

Its that he has his hands up to show the ref he isn't holding the man then ball to hand from such a short distance (12 inch maybe).

Just feels like such a soft penalty that wasn't anywhere near intentional.

Its that he has his hands up to show the ref he isn't holding the man then ball to hand from such a short distance (12 inch maybe).

This, 100%. Hands are up because the Italian is about to chuck himself on the floor and try and win a soft pen.

Very harsh for me.

You're unlikely to see a clearer penalty in this competition.

He could have held his arms out wide instead of in the air.

He doesn't need to have his hands up at all, it's his own stupid fault. He may not have "intentionally" done it, but he's put his hands in an unnatural position where there's a good chance the ball will be flicked on to and hit his hand, as obviously happened. Referee has no choice at all.

His hands are in the air! he then blocked the ball, of course it is clear cut.

To be a penalty it has to be "deliberate handball" and no-one can seriously suggest thats what it was:

In Fifa's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)".

To be a penalty it has to be "deliberate handball" and no-one can seriously suggest thats what it was:

part of judging whether or not a handball is deliberate is if his arm was in an unnatural position or not and it was most definitely in an unnatural position

Yes, but referees have to take into account whether the player's hands were in a natural position or not. Boateng's hands are clearly not. You could have players all the time doing that and blocking ball but hiding behind "oh but I totes didn't mean to!!!!"

Under the rules the ref only has to determine if the players hands were in an unnatural position, if the ref says they are then he has to give the penalty.

I'm sure you will agree his hands were in an unnatural position.

Did you also notice how all the Italian players asked for the penalty and none of the Germans argued about the decision?

Players reactions are for the most part correct in this situation.

Under the rules the ref only has to determine if the players hands were in an unnatural position, if the ref says they are then he has to give the penalty.

I'm sure you will agree his hands were in an unnatural position.

Did you also notice how all the Italian players asked for the penalty and none of the Germans argued about the decision?

Players reactions are for the most part correct in this situation.

I was saying the same thing with a relative before I saw this. The Italians reactions and German's lack of reaction influenced the ref.

Muller has been poor once again. It is only because of his reputation why he has not been dropped.

I was saying the same thing with a relative before I saw this. The Italians reactions and German's lack of reaction influenced the ref.

Muller has been poor once again. It is only because of his reputation why he has not been dropped.

I think Boateng standing with his hands in the air for no reason probably influenced the ref more tbh

I think Boateng standing with his hands in the air for no reason probably influenced the ref more tbh

Don't get me wrong it was right decision but if Italians did not protest so profusely, I think he would have deliberated longer and maybe not have given it.

Don't get me wrong it was right decision but if Italians did not protest so profusely, I think he would have deliberated longer and maybe not have given it.

He gave it pretty quickly didn't he?

Well that was never a yellow.

I get the feeling that the officials have been instructed that a player leaving their leg hanging for contact is no longer a foul against the defender & can be called as simulation if they believe the players was already on the way to ground before that contact is made.

I get the feeling that the officials have been instructed that a player leaving their leg hanging for contact is no longer a foul against the defender & can be called as simulation if they believe the players was already on the way to ground before that contact is made.

It actually looked more like the defender hit his leg, not sure what else he could have done but go down.

This is good news for Iceland/France cos the Italians and Germans will be pretty tired after this. Can already see it in the mistakes they're making now.

I can hardly see anything. :D

It's almost 3 a.m. here.

Archived