Sports Interactive Community
Dave Vessey

Has this been the worst major tournament in living memory?

Has this been the worst major tournament in living memory?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Has this been the worst major tournament in living memory?

There's been some seriously mundane games from a neutral perspective - does anyone else think it's been a disappointing tournament with minimal evidence of exciting, attacking football?

If you put aside the story of smaller nations being successful, and fans of those nations take a step back, I reckon it's been a bit of a non-event up to this point.

It's not been thrilling, but World Cup 2002 is still heads and shoulders above anything else I've witnessed in mediocricity.

It's a bit before my time, another example was the 1990 World Cup. Amazingly crap, so much that they've had to change the rules of football and ban the backpasses to the goalkeepers. This tournament is usually rated a little higher by English fans as England got to the semi-finals, and there was an interesting story in Cameroon's surprise success, but other than that pretty much absolutely nothing fun happened. Goals per game was one of the lowest ever. There were a total of zero quality attacking teams, even Argentina with Maradona were functional rather than thrilling. Even the winning goal in the final was a penalty kick awarding a dive, ffs. :D

2010 was pretty bad I seem to remember. This one has at least had the unknown quantity of the weird structure throwing up different draws. It's not great, but it isn't the worst.

EDIT: I do like this bit...

If you put aside the story of smaller nations being successful, and fans of those nations take a step back, I reckon it's been a bit of a non-event up to this point.

In other words, if you put aside the good parts, is it the worst?

In other words, if you put aside the good parts, is it the worst?

As I said in the OP, I said from a neutral perspective. Very few sides have played on the front foot, and too many have been content to stifle their opponents and play for draws.

Was having this discussion last night with a few friends, and they all think it's been pretty terrible.

Hmm, not sure, I've enjoyed seeing teams that are well drilled and tactically astute, but with so many teams playing the same systems and defence first tactics, it really hasn't thrown up enough good, exciting games for me.

It's not been thrilling, but World Cup 2002 is still heads and shoulders above anything else I've witnessed in mediocricity.

Agree. Honestly England '96 was crappy as well.

Yes. I watched Love Island instead of Portugal v Poland last night. Although if it was on BBC I'd have had it on the laptop.

Yes. I watched Love Island instead of Portugal v Poland last night. Although if it was on BBC I'd have had it on the laptop.

I fell asleep and actually had the internal conversation: "Wait, you might miss something - stuff it, it's definitely heading for penalties."

As someone who hasnt watched alot of football in recent years, I actually got quite excited to have the time and inkling to sit down and watch the bulk of this one. So that may have clouded my judgement (by remaining positive), but ive enjoyed it in the main.

If Portugal mange to win the tournament without winning a single game in 90 minutes, then yes, definitely the worst ever.

I didn't really like 2010 WC, maybe because we didn't qualify (Croatia), maybe because of those f***ing vuvuzelas and boring Spain.

2002 was also pretty bad with those morning kick-off times.

At least there was no school when we were playing, haha.

2010 was god awful. Don't remember 2002 being that bad. WC 94 probably my fave!

This has been a pretty awful tournament though. Group stages weren't too bad but it's gone downhill fast.

Not even close. Italia 90 would like a word.

Agree with you here, remember somewhat fondly as England got to the semi finals but was pretty damn poor

I liked the 2002 WC but then when you're in the pub at 10 in the morning most things will be enjoyable :D

To be honest I cant think of a tournament where I thought "that was ****". They've all had good moments and bad moments and even themselves out. This one will be remembered for the underdog and laughing at Ronaldo. Unless they go on to win it that is.

All international tournaments are dreary. Every single one of them.

It has been terrible. Poor quality, 3rd place teams =defensive football.

Portugal are just dull and have yet to win in 90, but there in the semi finals.

Should just be an all-out knockout format. You don't need group stages - that's what the qualifiers were.

Only way I'm going to remember this is if Italy pull off one of the greatest roads to the final beating all the big boys on their way there.

I felt that once we got past the bloated group stage things would heat up a bit but they haven't really.

Agree with you here, remember somewhat fondly as England got to the semi finals but was pretty damn poor

There was some other entertainment at Italia 90, Cameroon's adventure especially Roger Milla dumping out Columbia. Toto Schillaci and The Divine Ponytail for Italy. Germany were pretty impressive in the group stages with Lothar at his peak and they had a real feisty encounter with the Dutch on the way to the final.

But a lot of the rest of it was very dull....the final with Argentina is probably still the worst match I've ever sat through. (If I hadn't had money on Germany to win I would have switched off after about 20 minutes).

I also found the next World Cup in '94 pretty dull as well.

Should just be an all-out knockout format. You don't need group stages - that's what the qualifiers were.

How's U€FA gonna make money then?

Bit more exciting match today. Has been great to have so many home nations involved with this one.

There was some other entertainment at Italia 90, Cameroon's adventure especially Roger Milla dumping out Columbia. Toto Schillaci and The Divine Ponytail for Italy. Germany were pretty impressive in the group stages with Lothar at his peak and they had a real feisty encounter with the Dutch on the way to the final.

But a lot of the rest of it was very dull....the final with Argentina is probably still the worst match I've ever sat through. (If I hadn't had money on Germany to win I would have switched off after about 20 minutes).

I also found the next World Cup in '94 pretty dull as well.

the 90 World Cup Final was dire but the 94 edition was probably one of the worst football games I've had to sit through. Brazil and Italy (well Baggio) were good getting through but the game was awful, had about 100k watching it in Pasadena I think as well

however the 94 World Cup is my favourite of all time, apart from the final :D Italia 90 was full of some really bad games, it's more thought of being good because of Pavarotti's theme, England doing well and other things like that. Also Scotland were awful, getting done by Costa Rica in a shocking game

however the 94 World Cup is my favourite of all time, apart from the final :D

Exactly.

Romania 2-2 Sweden

Romania 3-2 Argentina

Germany 3-2 Belgium

Brazil 3-2 Holland

the Bulgaria-Germany shock

It had some really great games in the knockout phase, total classics, just a shame the final was so unbelievably pants. :D

I reckon 1998 as a tournament was just as good though.

Jeez does anyone really think this is bad...did people not watch any of Italia 90? That makes this tournament like Game of Thrones or something. Worst tournament??? Have a word ffs

Not at all!

As a semi-neutral, plenty of matches have provided, if not great football, at least decent excitement of "stories". Sure, a certain amount of dross had to be expected in a 24-teams tournament, but the surprising part is most of that came from relatively strong sides.

In comparison, I found Copa America much more boring and predictable, with some truly atrocious games in the (shorter) group stage and a fair amount of uninteresting matches even in the knockout stage.

Speaking of WC/Euros, it doesn't get worse than Italia 90... and Euro2004 wasn't that great either, but Greece winning it at least made it for a good underdog tale.

Isnt this question asked at every tournament or is it just me?

I think there was a "is this the best tournament ever?" asked at World Cup 2014 because the first few games had a lot of goals in it. People seem to think that goals = a great game when that's not always the case

Jeez does anyone really think this is bad...did people not watch any of Italia 90? That makes this tournament like Game of Thrones or something. Worst tournament??? Have a word ffs

To be fair that was 26 years ago. Also much easier to like this tournament now the Wales-Belgium match just ended. ;)

I think the secret is.. bring Average players..

didn't work for England

I really enjoyed Euro 2008 - without England so much of the usual **** was removed that the occasion itself was genuinely enjoyable. 2010 was maybe a bit dull. Euro 2016 has been a cracker though, have really enjoyed it.

the 90 World Cup Final was dire but the 94 edition was probably one of the worst football games I've had to sit through. Brazil and Italy (well Baggio) were good getting through but the game was awful, had about 100k watching it in Pasadena I think as well

however the 94 World Cup is my favourite of all time, apart from the final :D Italia 90 was full of some really bad games, it's more thought of being good because of Pavarotti's theme, England doing well and other things like that. Also Scotland were awful, getting done by Costa Rica in a shocking game

Did you have to remind me bout that Scotland result

If Portugal mange to win the tournament without winning a single game in 90 minutes, then yes, definitely the worst ever.

Amen to that!

in 2011 Paraguay reached the Copa America final (and lost) without a single win on 120 minutes. At least Portugal beat Croatia :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Copa_Am%C3%A9rica

It's only 120 minutes in the final in the Copa America nowadays, it goes straight to penalties at 90 minutes in the Quarter and Semi Finals. Saves on the 30 minute wait for penalties.

Did you have to remind me bout that Scotland result

Terrible memory but I will always love that stadium, I went to watch Sampdoria play over a decade ago & they had a song to the tune of Flower of Scotland which made me feel proud of at least one achievement from that tournament.