Sports Interactive Community
burnum

4-1-3-2 Death by Crosses (Burnum's Eusebio Tweak)

Disclaimer:

I did not invent this tactic on my own. This is just a tweak of the Eusebio tactic that makes his (already very good) tactic compatible to my style of playing in terms of formation and tackling. You can find the original Eusebio tactic here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/459942-FM-2016-Eusebio

This is my new tactical thread. I won't update my thread about my self-created 4-3-3 Burnum as I don't use these tactics at the moment (doesn't mean they're not successful anymore). If you're interested in a possession-oriented 4-3-3 inspired by Pep Guardiola's FC Bayern, you should have a look here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/444768-4-3-3-Bayern-Style-High-Possession-amp-Pressing

Now, let's come to the new tactic:

The base shape is a 4-1-3-2 and most of the attacking moves will come over the flanks. The tactic works well against all sorts of opponents (bigger teams who attack, smaller teams who park the bus and also against teams of similar calibre). It is crucial to this tactic that you close down any opposing strikers (see 'Opposition Instructions'). In my 2 test games I went undefeated in the Eredivisie with Ajax (domestic double included) and also won the Premier League with West Ham.

Formation:

2jn7fekb.jpg

Team Instructions:

dvmzb36w.jpg

Opposition Instructions:

n2x2wymh.jpg

Undefeated Eredivisie Title with Ajax:

svkkvepm.jpg

Results with Ajax (I only started using the new tactic since the Winter Break in January):

pz2xrfmy.jpg

Premier League Title with West Ham:

79ldjhwn.jpg

Results with West Ham:

o2p2lt6l.jpg

Team Talks & Opposition Instructions:

I leave team talk to my assistant (make sure he has high motivation skills if you do this as well).

No OI - never!

Training:

In pre-season 50% match training, focussing to get the tactics fluent as quickly as possible (use the tactic in all 3 slots). When tactics are fluent I usually change to 30% match training and use 'Defensive Positioning' due to the attacking nature of the tactic.

Positional Preferences:

GK: Just use your best possible GK, if you can choose it's a nice bonus to have a Sweeper GK, as our D-Line plays quite high.

Wingbacks: For the Wingbacks pace/acc is vital; they need to be decent crossers and have solid positioning & tackling; make sure you have a left-footed player at DL and a right-footed player at DR - David Alaba is a role model for your DL, Dani Alves or a younger Lahm would be perfect at RB. Your Wingbacks will create a lot of chances, they need to be solid in attack and defense.

Centrebacks: Do not use slow Centrebacks. Guys like Terry or Stam will be destroyed by opposing long balls. We need guys who have some speed/acc (at least around 12 when playing in a top league) and they also should be able to contribute to the build up game (especially against better opponents both Centrebacks have a lot a chances to play through balls to the strikers or wingers). Boateng, Riedewald or Christensen have all excelled for me in this role.

CM: This guy is basically a Defensive Midfielder playing in the MC slot, so the focus should be on defensive attributes. It still helps if he can play the occasional through ball or switch the ball to the other flank. Lucas Romero, Richy Bazoer or Arturo Vidal are perfect for this role.

AMC: He's the creative mind of the team. Needs good passing and some finishing skills. He has all the creative freedom he needs. You'll want guys like Özil or Coutinho for this role. If you can somehow get Ödegaard he's a must-sign.

Wingers: Classical old-fashioned wingers are needed. You'll want a left-footed player at AML and a right-footed player at AMR. Should be speedy and with great crossing ability. Avoid the 'Cuts Inside' PPM. Ryan Giggs in his prime would be a perfect AML in this formation. If you want a future stud try to get Che Nunnely from Ajax as soon as possible for the AMR position. These guys will create most of the goals and also score some (so Finishing/Composure shouldn't be overlooked). Your Wingers will usually get very high match ratings.

DLF: Just try to get the best strikers you can possible get. I've had success with bigger guys like Andy Carroll or Guido Carrillo but also with smaller, more agile strikers like Andrea Belotti. I wouldn't use two big strikers though, you usually need at least one guy up front who is technically able to contribute to the build up game. In theory a 'Thunder & Lightning' duo of a big striker and a speedy, technical striker should be awesome for this tactic. Finishing, Composure, Anticipation and First Touch are the most important attributes for this role.

Situational Tweaks:

1. If you struggle to control the midfield and possession (this can happen against very good teams) you might want to use the 'Tackle Harder' PI for your 5 defensive players (the back 4 plus the CM). However, this will lead to more yellow cards.

2. If you're playing at least one striker who's big and good in the air (e.g. Carroll or Mandzukic) you can change 'Low Crosses' to 'Mixed Crosses'. However, I do not recommend using 'Float Crosses'.

3. If you're defending a lead or just try to see out a game you can change mentality to 'Standard' or even 'Counter' and put the wingbacks on a more defensive duty (Support or even Defend, depending on the situation).

And finally the download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qf3p02fho0upkfc/Burnum%27s_Eusebio_Tweak_7B4A7223-DF54-40F5-9646-C314809F9FA7.fmf

Edited by burnum

you say set the OI to closing down the strikers but then you say OI set to never??

you say set the OI to closing down the strikers but then you say OI set to never??

My understanding is that once you set the OI in your Tactics screen they become pre-set for every game and you don't have to adjust them every single game. At least that's the way I'm using it and it works pretty good so far...

This was reached using the 4-1-3-2 Death by Crosses tactic from the OP. 36 games unbeaten with Brentford.

v9r7vclf.jpg

Won the Champions League with a convincing 4-0 win in the CL Final against Real Madrid. Using the the tactic from the OP.

mb75aqe8.jpg

Have to say this is probably the most stable version/tweak of Eusebio tactic that I've tried on FMT...wish I had used it all season I would've romped serie a!!!

can u please upload player search filters?

No, I can't. I simply don't use any filters myself. Just stick to the positional requirements from the OP.

screen of ur squad pls

cjtzcg5n.jpg

While I do have a fairly good squad with Brentford in 2021, it is still far away from being world beaters. I have some nice players like Bazoer, Lozano or Steemers (a Dutch newgen). Anyways, there are still several teams in the Premier League that are far superior in terms of player quality (Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham all have better players than we have, our season expectation was 6th and now we're 9 points clear at the top of the table).

Excellent tactic. I am 13 matches into the season with Schalke and i have yet to lose and only have one draw . have 43 goals in league play with a 27 GD. Next highest scoring team is Bayern with 29. One thing i do like is the fact i have four guys with at least 7 goals and another with 5. One of the four isnt even starting, he has 9 total goals and im only using him as a sub this season. btw, if you are looking for a left winger (leroy sane wanted to leave) i would suggest picking up filip kostic. cost me 18 mill but sold sane for 24 and he has a 8.0 average rating, 7 goals and 9 assists in 14 total matches.

I'm also really liking this tactic - not quite as dominating for me but then I'm newly promoted preston in the permier league and I'm holding my own sitting in 11th mid season, which I'm very very happy with.

only issue is goals conceded - I suspect it due to me having an inferior team but is anyone else experiencing conceding a lot of goals??

just finished my first season with Schalke using that tactic, lost 4 all season. scored 95 and gave up 45

just finished my first season with Schalke using that tactic, lost 4 all season. scored 95 and gave up 45

im about to test it out for a season with burnley or the boro i think. will let you know. i use a updated database so both are in EPL

great tactic!

1st Season with Liverpool won League Cup, lost in final of FA cup and won the league comfortably.

2nd Season half way through sitting on top of league again, as well as breezing through all league/fa/champions league games.

For the opposition instructions, do you have to set them every game? usually get my assistant to do them

and is it only the opposition strikers that have the instructions?

Tactic is great with Leicester but just want to make sure i am setting it up right

No.

Go to your tactics (not during a game) and then set OI to as shown. This will then become your preset instructions for every match.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 01:15, gmulv said:

I'm also really liking this tactic - not quite as dominating for me but then I'm newly promoted preston in the permier league and I'm holding my own sitting in 11th mid season, which I'm very very happy with.
only issue is goals conceded - I suspect it due to me having an inferior team but is anyone else experiencing conceding a lot of goals??

I used Darmstadt and I scored a lot but I also was very leaky on defense. so prob lack of skill in the players. every other decent team I used it wasn't an issue

Since you're using Wingers rather than Inside Forwards, have you considered using Inverted Wing Backs instead of Wing Backs? That way instead of 2 players clogging each flank(Wing Back and Winger) you'll have the Winger as the primary crosser and the Inverted Wing Backs supporting your lone Central Midfielder at the center. This change should bring more balance to this formation.

That might work if IWB were working properly but they are not.

IWBs effectively act like IFs in that they get up the wing before coming inside to more of an AM position. This has been documented and verified in other threads, by mods themselves too.

That's a shame. What about player preferred moves that are recommended to have/use with this tactic?

hmmm *wonders if this will work as his second tactic*.. what the hell, where's the download button  *click*

Still baffles me how you create/mod tactics like this and they make basically any team successful (to a certain extent) .. 

Not sure of the importance but, as Burnum states..... "DLP: Just try to get the best strikers you can possible get. I've had success with bigger guys like Andy Carroll or Guido Carrillo but also with smaller, more agile strikers like Andrea Belotti. I wouldn't use two big strikers though, you usually need at least one guy up front who is technically able to contribute to the build up game. In theory a 'Thunder & Lightning' duo of a big striker and a speedy, technical striker should be awesome for this tactic. Finishing, Composure, Anticipation and First Touch are the most important attributes for this role."

So looks like many different types of striker can be used as long as they have the key attributes.

I'm 5 seasons into my Cardiff save and doing very well, currently 2nd in the Prem. I haven'y been using this tactic because I didn't really have the players to suit.

But, as a kid, I always had a soft spot for Liverpool and they are languishing in 15th place and have just sacked Frank de Boer so I've just applied for the job.

I wasn't going to because of my success with Cardiff but, looking at the Liverpool squad, I think they are very well suited to this tactic already:

--------------------------------Butland

Clyne-------------- Gomez --------Matip -------------Moreno

-----------------------------Henderson

--Ibe -----------------------Coutinho ----------------------Bale

-----------------Andre Silva -------Sturridge

They also have Firmino and Isco and a few others too.

Plenty of pace throughout the squad so no idea why they are struggling so badly. I'm really excited about Bale as I have only ever managed him internationally before. I just hope I get the job!

I got the job :)

The club's in a bit of a mess. Not just being 15th in the EPL but many other things too.

Club finances are all over the place. -£17m bank balance and the club is losing £33m this season, after having lost £31m last season.

Wage bill is too high at £3.1m and that's the major contributor to our financial problem so I'll have to sort that out over the next season or so.

Staff levels aren't great either and I'm only allowed 7 1st team coaches so there's a lot of work to be done.

Only 2 months of the season left so we'll get this one out of the way and hope to push into the top 6 at least next season.

An excellent finish to the season saw us move up from 15th to 8th and we also went on to win the Europa League.

Results from when I took over are from the 4-2 win at Newcastle halfway down the page.

378120_20160830043242_1.png

Showing how we shot up the table:

378120_20160830055009_1.png

Our Europa League win:

378120_20160830055036_1.png378120_20160830055205_1.png

Even in our defeats we were the better side. Man City away in the CL I had a lot of unfit players so sent them on holiday for a week and played some reserves instead:

378120_20160830043313_1.png

Brilliant win at Villa:

378120_20160830043357_1.png

Unlucky v Chelsea. Went 2-0 down early on with a 2nd minute penalty and another goal after a poor header back to the GK was intercepted. Got it back to 2-2 and were pushing for the win but conceded in the 89th min to lose 3-2 :(

378120_20160830043458_1.png

Our Europa League Final victory:

378120_20160830043529_1.png

Goals, assists, etc from my squad for the season. Wingbacks with more assists than my wingers and my strikers way above everyone bar Bale for goals:

378120_20160830052602_1.png

Silva, Sturridge, Bale and Ibe stats:

378120_20160830053220_1.png378120_20160830053313_1.png378120_20160830053409_1.png378120_20160830053517_1.png

Firmino and Coutinho want to leave but I'm hoping the Europa League win and subsequent qualification for the CL will help them change their minds. If not, I'll get the best part of £100m for the pair to reinvest in the squad.

Looking forward to next season already!

Edited by Earnie is God!

Tried this out in the Championship and although I loved the style of play , it just wasnt getting the results needed , to leaky in defence , so went back to my own tactic , moving forward , now in the prem and was struggling a little with my own tactic , so revisited this one , again great style , but conceded too many goals , so watched a few games full highlights and noticed the opposition were just dinking the ball through the high defensive line for their fast forwards to run onto , to score very easy one on ones , so changed the defensive line to deep and tight marking and it worked a treat , now in 3rd place !

If you don't have really quick defenders then this tactic is definitely not for you. I do occasionally get caught out by balls over the top but, thankfully, this year's ME is very forgiving to defending teams when it comes to one-on-one chances, as either the strikers slow down when through on goal, allowing the defenders to get back, or they shoot straight at the GK. It's just about the only situation where the ME benefits the defence this year though.

As most AI teams seem to favour a 4-2-3-1 formation with IFs, all I really need to do is check the quality and speed of the front 3. If it isn't up to much then I leave my d-line higher but if they are quick then I might drop it a notch.

My team is playing really nice football with this tactic, if I had the money to buy better players, I'd make a killing in the league I'm in but I'll have to wait for some investment or see if I can pick up some freebies

7 hours ago, mickeymoo said:

Is there any chance this could be made to use in FM17 beta? many thanks

I'll skip FM17 entirely and play FM16 until FM18 arrives (I usually get the game every second year, not annually), so I won't make a version for FM17. If anyone else wants to do it, feel free to do so, I don't have any problem with implementing this tactic into FM17.

anyone else having issues with converting set pieces?

Edited by Ross Ingersoll

On 19.10.2016 at 17:19, Ross Ingersoll said:

anyone else having issues with converting set pieces?

I scored a league-leading 22 goals from corners last season, so I obviously don't have any issues with converting set pieces.

On 19/10/2016 at 09:25, burnum said:

I'll skip FM17 entirely and play FM16 until FM18 arrives (I usually get the game every second year, not annually), so I won't make a version for FM17. If anyone else wants to do it, feel free to do so, I don't have any problem with implementing this tactic into FM17.

This is the first year for a long time I've skipped.  I do it with all my games now which are released every year, especially sport ones for PS4.

Just giving this ago, I'm a nearly club with Parma. 

Need a tactic to take me on to the next level!

Nice to see someone's still using it. How are you guys doing with this tactic?