Who was positive about England

Lermon

I thought Iceland played well. I thought England put their all into it, and had a good set of players. I think Hodgson is limited, but he's been better than many other England managers. How long were we caught on this fictional Lampard/Gerrard combo. In those times it looked like England had very limited talent.

I would criticise the subs Hodgson made though, and the tactical opt. Should have moved the ball quicker into the box, and taken a gamble taking off pointless players like Rose.

It would be a hard job to find a new quality manager capable of out achieving Hodgson.

There's a decent future ahead imo. Some good young players, first halves against Slovakia and Russia were good. Iceland are a hell of a let better than people give credit for (still shouldn't lose to them ofc)

However, his substitutions were poor. Even the Wales game it felt like he just threw all the strikers on and hoped for the best with no genuine tactical thought. Someone said he seemed to set up for the diamond and bottled it and went for 4-3-3 which I don't disagree with (though I didn't rate the diamond in the friendly games) He was putting square pegs into round holes and it didn't work at all. Think if he set up based around the players we'd have seen better results.

I still think this was better than 2010 though :D

Out achieving Hodgson. 2 utter failures and narrow defeat on penalties to Italy. Which may I add people would have quite easily written off as he only had about 6 weeks in charge.

His squad selections for the last 2 tournaments were all wrong. His tactics were all wrong. People are blinded by his qualifying success. He's a dinosaur of a manager who looked well out of his depth this last fortnight.

I actually think in 2014 we didn't play too badly and lost 2 close games that could have gone either way to 2 good teams. Costa Rica was a write off as we were out already.

This we should have beat Russia, should have beat Slovakia and should have beat Iceland but, even if we had good periods in two of those games, we were tactically poor and got what we deserved (well, deserved to beat Russia but the other games we didn't deserve to win at all)

awful goalkeeper, poor defence, average midfield at best, average attack who can't link up. What is there to be positive about? Play an awful style of football, to be honest there isn't even a style as it is totally aimless.

It'd be a hard job to surpass Hodgson's record in qualifiers, especially with what isn't a particularly great England side.

It would also be difficult to look more clueless about scoring from open play against massed defences in actual tournament football, even when playing similarly weak teams, or more vulnerable when the opposition actually needed to score.

I mean, seriously, this tournament made Gerrard and Lampard disagreeing over midfield responsibilities look like Guardiola-era Barcelona.

It'd be a hard job to surpass Hodgson's record in qualifiers, especially with what isn't a particularly great England side.

It would also be difficult to look more clueless about scoring from open play against massed defences in actual tournament football, even when playing similarly weak teams, or more vulnerable when the opposition actually needed to score.

I mean, seriously, this tournament made Gerrard and Lampard disagreeing over midfield responsibilities look like Guardiola-era Barcelona.

record in qualifiers against some absolutely shocking sides. Even that which imo isn't that much of a big deal doesn't excuse how poor we've looked at the last WC and then the Euros.

It was a side that was much easier to support, we all knew they are limited in some areas but there are also some genuinely good young exciting players that will be playing for England for years, and will do better. We did what was expected in the qualifiers with ease and we beat some great countries in friendlies too, friendlies that weren't actually dull!

I just hope we don't appoint southgate or pardew next

The one and only criticism I have of England is how badly they crumbled last night. I mentioned in the other thread, we're talking top level professionals failing to do the basics - you can only put that down to the immense expectation on them to beat Iceland comfortably.

Over the course of the group stage, I thought we were very good on the whole. Dominated every game, on another day each of those games would've been 2 or 3 goal victories. I really like our current crop of players, much more than 2010/2012 when we had a really pony side out.

The one and only criticism I have of England is how badly they crumbled last night. I mentioned in the other thread, we're talking top level professionals failing to do the basics - you can only put that down to the immense expectation on them to beat Iceland comfortably.

Over the course of the group stage, I thought we were very good on the whole. Dominated every game, on another day each of those games would've been 2 or 3 goal victories. I really like our current crop of players, much more than 2010/2012 when we had a really pony side out.

I think conceding two goals to Iceland showed up how misleading the "domination" in the group stages was. Basically, every time a side was sufficiently motivated to score against England in the tournament and had more than a minute to do it, they succeeded. And on three out of four games they were able to prevent England scoring from open play too, aided significantly by England's consistently poor crossing and shooting and inability to stretch them by increasing the tempo.

When the opposition get the result they want more often than you do, you're not dominating. All those sides Leicester beat last season weren't dominating just because they had more possession, more crosses and/or more blocked shots.

In 2012 we topped a group that included France and took a finalist to penalties. They weren't particularly great performances, but this is not a step forward.

-

Based on FM I'm looking forward to Roberto Martinez or Brendan Rodgers winning the Nations Cup on a regular basis...

If FM is anything to go by, Roberto Martinez will get the job.

And he is available right now...

Martinez on my save too...and he hasn't picked Hart since August 2016, got news item that 'Hart's England career is over' when he didn't make most recent squad on my game.

Archived