Rest Days Should Be Three Days Minimum

As has been echoed over the years by various people.

This isn't club football. Nobody has the luxury of thinking which opponents will be waiting in the next two rounds. Everybody has one chance, and that is it.

This isn't club football. There is no such thing as making calculated rotations. Everyone should be able to field their best eleven.

Let's do it a la club football: if you play in Europa League on Thursday, your next game is Monday.

Portugal had one rest day fewer than Croatia had.

The winner of the bottom semi-final will have one rest day fewer, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016#Bracket

I agree. I remember Euro 2012, when Italy played quarter/semifinal and final along 8 days, moving from Kiev to Varsavia and then Kiev again (not exactly 10 minutes walk.), with Spain having 1 extra day of rest and playing ALWAYS in Ukraine. This partly explain their poor performance in the final. I don't really think the schedule is made with common sense. But what can we do?

Let's do it a la club football: if you play in Europa League on Thursday, your next game is Monday.

Yeah, that doesn't happen. It's Thursday then Sunday, at least in England.

I agree though, should be a minimum rest period in huge tournaments like this.

It happens most of the time in Italy. There are a few exceptions, and those exceptions tend to get late Sunday evening games instead.

Semis should be played on the same day. 5pm/8pm. Or you move the semis forward so that the extra rest day isn't as significant

Archived