Sports Interactive Community
RTG

Next England manager?

Next England Manager  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Next England Manager

Probably more to do with the fact he has enough self-awareness to know that the public for the most part wouldn't be keen.

The people arguing for an English manager really need to be ignored, just get the most suitable man for the job in, doesn't matter where they are from.

If they're having a short term guy until someone longer term comes in I'd take Allardyce over someone like Southgate cause I don't think Allardyce will be in awe of it, he's got the confidence. So, if we're choosing short term guys then why not

Probably more to do with the fact he has enough self-awareness to know that the public for the most part wouldn't be keen.

I like the idea of an English manager, though I'm not tied to it. It's the English National Team after all, if we have a manager good enough they should be prioritised but we shouldn't sacrifice too much quality in favour of nationality

It seems most of us here are more qualified than one of the FA people looking for a new manager, he himself even admitted he isn't a football man. :D

Thankfully it's not up to Australian journalists to draw up the shortlist

I like the idea of an English manager, though I'm not tied to it. It's the English National Team after all, if we have a manager good enough they should be prioritised but we shouldn't sacrifice too much quality in favour of nationality

Yeah I'd agree with that. Shame there's no real candidates at the moment. I think the Eddie Howe shouts are pretty odd really - let the guy try and forge a good career out for himself before thrusting him into such a poison chalice at such a young age.

I think we could do a lot worse than Big Sam and he is probably the best English candidate we have at the moment - although I wouldn't rush to appoint him over a foreign guy if there was a good one available. I think I'd take Big Sam over Jurgen Klinsmann, as it appears a lot of Americans don't rate him - that's surely got to mean something.

My order of preference is probably something like:

Slaven Bilic > > > Big Sam > Manuel Pelligrini > Steve Bruce

I can't really think of anyone else who is available, realistic or I'd actually not mind seeing in the job tbf.

Think Howe reminds me of how older people tell me about Hoddle. Whilst he seemed to do well, they felt he was thrushed in too young and had his promising career wrecked early on.

Personally I'd like to see Hoddle back. His side had an excellent win record

And best of all, we wouldn't have to listen to him commentate.

Hoddle :D Hasn't managed a team in a decade. Shouldn't even be part of the conversation.

Despite not managing a side for a decade, Hoddle is still the best English candidate for the job which says all you need to know about English managers really.

heard a lot of mentions for hoddle, are those comments he made supposed to be forgotten about now because it was a long time ago

has he said he thinks differently now ?

Despite not managing a side for a decade, Hoddle is still the best English candidate for the job which says all you need to know about English managers really.

How do you know he's the best candidate?

Hoddle :D

People seem to forget he was on his way to not qualifying for Euro 2000 before the FA used the disabled thing as an excuse to pull the plug.

Might as well get Terry Venebles back. He's still alive no?

Id give it to Shearer. No experience but so what, what has experience got us so far? He is passionate and will have the respect of the players. Passion is something we need in the team

He's a total failure in this ''career'' so far and I assume most managers in this world would be ''passionate'' for a pretty good job.

Hoddle shouldn't be near the position. He talks a good game, so did Gary Neville. Granted Hoddle was pretty good tactically during his time with England but his man management was poor and this was a long, long time ago

Didn't he do a short term coaching role in the last season or so with someone (Stoke, Palace?) supposed to be coaching a 3-5-2 but it was all a mess

People like Shearer being mentioned. Is he going to call on his great England successes to motivate players?? We need to get more coaches NOW into the English game, we got a ton of money in English football ... let's get the best, learn from the best, get people interested in this cause we sure as **** can't change a thing with the top level clubs so get young players more of a chance

In what other "big" footballing country in the world, let alone Europe, would ***** like Hoddle and Shearer who have done nothing but pundit work for a decade even be allowed to make a claim for the the national team job without being laughed off by absolutely everyone?

My vote is Hoddle with Shearer as No2.

There is no viable English manager unless you include Sam Allardice or Gary Monk. Not sure if Harry Rednapp is an option but the FA made a mistake appointing Hodgson, rednap is a players manager, plays attacking football and always gets the best out of players he works with.

Southgate has ruled himself out and Pearce I think is a step to far. Gary Neville demonstrated he is out of his depth at Valencia.

However if you think England chose an Australian in Eddie Jones to beat the Aussies in Rigby then a good outside bet for me would be Jurgen Klinnsman who knows English football well, has a winning Germanic mentality and has done a great job with USA

Get your bets on now :)

The people arguing for an English manager really need to be ignored' date=' just get the most suitable man for the job in, doesn't matter where they are from.[/quote']

But that's kind of the point of international football isn't it?

I don't think we should be having non-English managers unless we are allowed non-English players.

The whole point of international football is to test the best of a nation against other nations and managers should be included in that.

I can understand the argument for smaller up-and-coming nations having foreign managers to help build the development of the national game, but not for an established footballing nation like England.

If Gareth Southgate is the best we can produce, then he's the best we can produce. It reflects poorly on the quality of English coaches but isn't that the point? Germany and Spain haven't just been great over the past decade because of the players but the quality of the coaches they produce too and they always pick Spanish and German managers too.

It's kinda completely against the point of international football if a major established footballing nation like England just bring in who they like.

I don't think people who think that need to be ignored. I think the manager's nationality absolutely should matter in international football just as much as the player's nationalities matters. Why even have international football if we're not even testing the best of our nation against other nations?

I agree too but it's not something that I care a lot about. Then again being Swedish means that usually our coaches/managers are better than our players. IIRC the only time when we have had a non-Swedish manager was in the 50s.

It used to be about testing nations and all that but not with England, no, it's about 'the world' just like our league is 'global' and not merely sticking to having the English league benefit England in any way, that would be silly, wouldn't it!

There is no viable English manager unless you include Sam Allardice or Gary Monk. Not sure if Harry Rednapp is an option but the FA made a mistake appointing Hodgson, rednap is a players manager, plays attacking football and always gets the best out of players he works with.

Ok, no viable English manager unless you include Allardyce so you're picking Hoddle ... why wouldn't we include Allardyce then as he's clearly a better pick than Hoddle

"It has to be Hoddle cause there's no one else better except this guy and this guy" ;)

It's a straight Allardyce or Bruce choice for me. Both experienced, tactically flexible (more so in Bruce's case, but Allardyce does get his sides to play to their strengths) and understand English football. Lack of European/top level (and I mean title chasing clubs) experience the only real downsides to them. I see no reason not to offer either of them a good shot at it.

Pardrew has been suspiciously quiet. I'm getting worried he's up to something.

Allardyce makes sense if we're going English. At least he'll have a system and will stick by it. It won't be pretty, or expansive, but it'll get results.

edit: Pardrew has said he'd be interested in speaking to the FA, but said he's not ready to be the England manager yet. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alan-pardew-wants-england-job-8324148

goooooood

So if he thinks he's not ready, why would he be interested in speaking to the FA? He's playing his cards, hmmm.

Sounds like he's trying to get a bit more money for Benteke! I guess this is one way of doing that, if Palace don't want to risk losing him.

Personally I don't think Alan Pardew is the best choice out there. But if he had won the cup last season, he'd probably have been the front-runner for the job.

Southgate has ruled himself out and Pearce I think is a step to far. Gary Neville demonstrated he is out of his depth at Valencia.

However if you think England chose an Australian in Eddie Jones to beat the Aussies in Rigby then a good outside bet for me would be Jurgen Klinnsman who knows English football well, has a winning Germanic mentality and has done a great job with USA

Get your bets on now :)

Why on earth would you want Hoddle with Shearer as his #2? Two guys who have not managed a single team between them in 10 years.

Also by all accounts from both American fans and people who keep up to date with that kind of thing, Klinnsman has not been that great and they'd actually be really pleased to see him gone - which should speak volumes.

Also by all accounts from both American fans and people who keep up to date with that kind of thing, Klinnsman has not been that great and they'd actually be really pleased to see him gone - which should speak volumes.

Just as Germans were pleased to see him gone. He is pretty good at motivating players but his tactical understanding of the game is pitiful, though he does seem to be learning.

Allardyce makes sense if we're going English. At least he'll have a system and will stick by it. It won't be pretty, or expansive, but it'll get results.

I think Allardyce's system gets a lot of stick. He got labelled a long ball guy by managers that hated playing Bolton but they also played some really good stuff. Okacha, Djorkaeff .. these were not long ball players

Allardyce comes across as a bluff northerner but he was the first manager in England to use pro-zone, I believe and was always looking into new management and recovery ideas, ice baths and all that. He's go over to the States to look at our American Football teams trained and recovered

You'd hope with him is that if the system did call for something not exciting then he would do it and wouldn't worry what everyone thought but I think he's capable of getting more from a more attacking team also

He made no secret of wanting the England job before so I think why not. People may moan about long ball but honestly, when have we been 'exciting' recently?

He's also a very forward thinking manager in terms of sports science etc. If I was picking the England manager today, I'd pick Allardyce.

I really don't think it matters who we get as a new manager, England have a sestemic problem at the heart of the game. We are unable to adapt to basic tactics, they can't seem to work together with players they aren't used to. The basic coaching standards need to improve at the bottom of the game. The kids need to be coached differently and our game needs changing from the bottom up.

I really don't think it matters who we get as a new manager, England have a sestemic problem at the heart of the game. We are unable to adapt to basic tactics, they can't seem to work together with players they aren't used to. The basic coaching standards need to improve at the bottom of the game. The kids need to be coached differently and our game needs changing from the bottom up.

That's absolute rubbish. We lost to Iceland due to a manager who didn't have a clue what he was doing when picking a squad, tactics, formation, starting 11 and set piece takers.

That's absolute rubbish. We lost to Iceland due to a manager who didn't have a clue what he was doing when picking a squad, tactics, formation, starting 11 and set piece takers.

Even if that was the case, do you not think the side and tactics we used still should have been able to beat Iceland? I think the post you rubbished was far more considered and insightful than yours. This has been going on for years now, and we can't just keep throwing managers under the bus by blaming their tactics and selection. We have had managers with tactical nous who have achieved similarly dreadful results on the big stage.

Unless we look deeper than that, our international failures will continue.

Even if that was the case, do you not think the side and tactics we used still should have been able to beat Iceland? I think the post you rubbished was far more considered and insightful than yours. This has been going on for years now, and we can't just keep throwing managers under the bus by blaming their tactics and selection. We have had managers with tactical nous who have achieved similarly dreadful results on the big stage.

What were the tactics? They were non existent. And when we didn't blitz Iceland off the park like Roy expected he just threw strikers on. Was pure Sunday League management. The game was crying out for Barkley.

Well yeah, it should have been but the team wasn't helped at all. Did the players under-perform? Absolutely. But the idea that we need to heavily change our youth set-up or full revamp all of English football is a load of rubbish - look at what Wales have done this year with players who have spent their entire careers (apart from Bale's exploits at Madrid) playing in the English League system. Roy absolutely deserves to be thrown under the bus for a dreadful Championship from the beginning. Capello and Sven never lost to Iceland. We did far better with both of them and actually made Quarter Finals and went out to respectable teams - not Iceland.

Also pretty hilarious to see the FA are genuinely trying to get Wenger as manager. ****ing idiots :D :D

Please dont be flipping Klinsmann.

Sam Allardyce should really be first choice but if not then go for Bilic, Pellegrini, Mancini.

Its only the tabloids reporting the FA talking to Jurgen Klinsmann so hopefully they're making it up. What has he done with the USA, other than beat us 1-1 actually that was Bob Bradley :idiot: Lose to Mexico and Colombia a few times?

I'd like to see Shearer get the job, but if we go foreign I think a short contract (till the end of the next WC) for Guus Hiddink to take over, with someone like Frank Lampard as his understudy would be good. Hiddink is familiar with English players and can galvanise a squad together. He's proved that at Chelsea. And could train an Englishman up in the job. I think that way we'd get best of both worlds!

It should be English. Every country that won the World Cup had a manager who came from the same country.
Who would you appoint based on that Georginho?

I was chatting with a colleague today about it and he suggested Sean Dyche...now, he did make out it would be a crazy appointment, but he did make a good argument for him taking over. Not for me though, if it's an Englishman I'd still go with an old timer personally, like Hoddle (not actually that old) or even give Redknapp the job (I agree they are worlds apart, but they'd be the two I'd be most happy with if it was an English guy). I just can't see any other English manager being good enough and even those two have their faults in many areas.