Sports Interactive Community
Barry Cartman

Group B - England vs England B (involving some Welsh players) 14:00 BBC 1

And to be fair to Kane, we don't know how he would have played in a front 2 because he had to put up with Sterling and Lallana for company!

Pleasantly surprised by Roy's half time changes, was sure he was going to stick to the same old methods but glad he proved me wrong :thup:

I think both Sturridge and Rashford looked better than Sterling and Lallana. I hope we play them both with Vardy because they can hold on to the ball better and actually beat men.

Both Oliver Kahn and Peter Schmeichel think Hart shouldn't have set a wall up for the free kick.

Both Oliver Kahn and Peter Schmeichel think Hart shouldn't have set a wall up for the free kick.

Pfft, what do they know? :brock:

I thought for a controversial selection of Rooney- he played well. Arguably an influence on the first goal with a cool shot that just missed prior to the moments leading to the goal.

I think both Sturridge and Rashford looked better than Sterling and Lallana. I hope we play them both with Vardy because they can hold on to the ball better and actually beat men.

I would start Rashford over Sterling on the left, I think he gave England more width, looked dangerous going forwards and is better equipped to get on the end of crosses from the right.

Lallana & Walker worked really well on the right though so would keep that with Sturridge/Vardy/Kane battling to start as the main ST.

Rashford looked leggy. Sturridge and Vardy were both superb however and I'd be starting them next game with Lallana on the left.

Sturridge & Vardy to start in front of Kane & Sterling, same team otherwise. Walker & Rose outstanding!!

Congratulating Roy on the subs is like congratulating someone who spends 5 minutes trying to pull a door open and then realising they need to push it to open it.

I thoight England were better 1st half. The shape in the 2nd half didnt work at all, but two goals from errors and all of a sudden it was a success and Sturridge and Vardy have to play.

Whoop!!

But seriously, Hodgson doesn't have a ****ing clue!

What's our system? How are we playing? He got so lucky today, I've lost faith in him.

Also, sterling should never play again and hart can **** righ off. World class my arse

Whoop!!

What's our system? How are we playing? He got so lucky today, I've lost faith in him.

Bliss finally taking his english-rose-tinted glasses off and seeing it how it is :applause:

:p

I'm not totally against Roy, but starting Sterling today was just unforgivable. He's really been utterly horrendous in both games so far and should never have been in the starting line-up today.

Whoop!!

Also, sterling should never play again and hart can **** righ off. World class my arse

Took you this long to realise about Hodgson?

I felt Lallana played pretty well again. The main problem is he fades pretty quickly in the second half - wouldn't be as much of a problem if we had Townsend to sub on.

The problem with Sterling is he can't shoot. He's like Walcott but with worse finishing, and Walcott isn't really good at that either.

Great result, etc. but Jesus Christ Roy...

That whole performance stunk of desperation and it's blatantly obvious for all to see that Hodgson still has absolutely no idea how he wants his sides to play. Thought we defended well, again. Smalling was brilliant, Cahill solid and the 2 fullbacks had good games too. Dier was really good again, but apart from that did anyone really stand out as playing well? Vardy has to start next game. Stick 2 upfront Roy, try the diamond again.

Hart; Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose; Dier; Ali, Rooney; Lallana; Kane, Vardy.

How about that? As long as Rooney stays deep and doesn't split our 2 strikers like he did against Portugal. That'd be half reasonable wouldn't it?

Ah well, just going to enjoy the result for the rest of the day, I'll worry about the next game in a couple of days. Fantastic result - top of the group :)

So far think Rooney has done well but he should be playing where Alli is, Alli for me hasnt performed so far as expected, would suit Rooney more too.

The full backs have been fantastic in both games, was good that Kane came off, should have been done in the first game too.

I think Roy is just not reading the game anymore, how can he just sit back in the final minutes of the game, no passion.

Much better 2nd half, after a first half of being one paced and everything being played infront of Wales. Vardy made the difference with his pace and movement. Sterling was utter pish.

Starting Sterling again was utterly baffling, the kid is in absolutely horrendous form. He was absolutely dreadful again and it took us being down at half time for him to actually change anything. We dominated both games we just needed someone to put it away and although im not quite sure how Hennessy has let that in at the end i think even the most die hard welsh fans wouldn't argue that we deserved to win. Wales couldn't get out for the entire second half.

Sturridge and Vardy were both superb

Were they? Vardy touched the ball five times and completed two passes. Sturridge spent 45 minutes running into players and skying into the stands.

From a neutral standpoint, every decent team will just dismantle England if they don't improve drastically.

Alli-Dier-Rooney midfield is laughable against any team that won't defend for 90mins.

England could do with starting Wilshere, Sturridge and Vardy vs Slovakia, imo

Wilshere for who exactly? Our midfield is fine as it is, the weak link is Sterling who, unfortunately, is one of the few people who offer any real width and direct running.

@ Gunman - why is it? Who else woud you put in our midfield?

Wilshere for who exactly? Our midfield is fine as it is, the weak link is Sterling who, unfortunately, is one of the few people who offer any real width and direct running.

Wilshere for Alli with Rooney moving higher up.

Well, I'd certainly bring Drinkwater to the EURO and wouldn't play Rooney as CM basically.

Henderson isn't fit is he? Wilshere didn't play at all in the past season, either.

Milner can cover a lot of stuff in an even game I guess.

Rooney has nothing to offer in defense and Alli isn't on that physical level yet.

Imo, you'd be far better off with 4-3-1-2, especially after those dreadful performances from Sterling.

Rooney as a 10 and whoever's fit in midfield.

We do need to rotate a little though and next game a good chance to do that.

I would maybe rest one of the fullbacks + Rooney or Alli along with changes up front.

Why is the next game a good chance for that?

Because we have four points & can't finish lower than 3rd in the group so are 99.9% through whatever happens.

We'd be foolish to under-estimate Slovakia and rest players for them. Bale aside, they've got a lot more quality than Wales and certainly looked better against Russia than we did.

Vardy and Rashford should start for the English, feared them. Was looking forward to facing Rooney and Sterling, both useless. Pinging balls out to Walker looks good for the cameras mind.

Devastated. England Deserved it. No attacking intent. 2 Bale freekicks and a total scuff is worrying. Get Jonny Williams on the pitch quicker and Vokesy to hold it up for them. We sat back and let them come at us with hideous defensive mentality, no counter attacking intent = England didn't need to worry.

Owe Russia big time after 2004. The way Russia finished last 2 games scares me though, a last minute goal to send us home on Monday would genuinely end me. CMON THE BOYS ON TO TOULOUSE.

Bale's a god

You have to win the group. Dont understand this approach that going through is good regardless. The draw for winning vs. 2nd/3rd is so much easier

You have to win the group. Dont understand this approach that going through is good regardless. The draw for winning vs. 2nd/3rd is so much easier

Overrated, it really doesn't matter, especially in this tournament where all the teams are so closely matched.

You get through then deal with whatever the draw throws up, if you want to win the trophy you'll have to beat a Spain/Germany/France at some point.

Yeah, don't see a good reason for making wholesale changes beyond starting Vardy and Sturridge. Sterling should be put on the next plane home though.

Overrated, it really doesn't matter, especially in this tournament where all the teams are so closely matched.

You get through then deal with whatever the draw throws up, if you want to win the trophy you'll have to beat a Spain/Germany/France at some point.

Just nonsense. You have to face them,but not in the last 16, where you'd probably face Germany if you finished 3rd.

Portugal QF is much easier than France as well.

Yeah I don't really agree. You never know a smaller team can pull off an upset against a team and you end up not having to face them. I always think to Arsenal's FA Cup win when we drew the winner of Man City and Wigan in the Semi Final - I don't think we would've beaten City but Wigan managed to so we avoided having to face them and went on to win the Cup.

I'd certainly rather avoid Germany in the Round of 16 if we can.

I'd rather face a Germany/France later in the tournament than immediately in the knockout stages, even if a win then means you get a easier tie in the later rounds. Why not let another team take on the big boys and hope they get through? Makes no sense to start resting huge chunks of the team just because we're '99%' through. Win the group.

If we win it all I'm sure there will be a "yeah. but you never faced Germany" comment...but you know what? I couldn't give a **** if we have the easiest run ever to the title.

Great way to win the game, fully deserved the win and nice to get the three points that we couldn't get in the opening game. Thought Wales were solid defensively but bar a Bale FK that should have been saved offered nothing going forward.

Sterling was awful once again as was Kane, neither should start the next game. Sterling is just **** and Kane is knackered.

I'd make a few changes for the Slovakia game on Monday night, one of the FBs, if not both, Vardy in for Kane, Sturridge in for Sterling and Wilshere for Rooney. Strong enough to win the game still and rests a few of the starting 11 for the R16 game.

Oh and Joe Hart is ****, not a chance he is world class.

Just nonsense. You have to face them,but not in the last 16, where you'd probably face Germany if you finished 3rd.

Portugal QF is much easier than France as well.

Last eight matches v Germany we've W4 & L4, you shouldn't fear facing teams. Winning teams & individuals tend to not care who they face in any sport, they deal with what is in front of them.

Also looking for perceived easier matches breeds complacency which has been a problem for England in the past.

EDIT

Probably worth adding here that people seem to think I'm implying wholesale changes, I'm not. I would limit it to 3/4 (Two from Vardy/Sturridge/Rashford for Kane & Sterling, a fullback & rest Rooney or Alli).

no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

That's rubbish tbh

The 'you have to beat them anyway' is the war cry of the loser. You don't have to beat them and even if you do ... beat them the following round or the one after .... not now, thanks!

2002 World Cup Turkey finished 2nd to Brazil in their group level on points with Costa Rica and above China in 4th, then they beat Japan and Senegal before losing to Brazil in the semi finals .. yes, the semi freaking finals!! Turkey in Euro 2008 finished above Czechs and Swiss to get into knockout, had that last second equaliser and penalties win against Croatia and bham, they're in the semi finals again losing to Germany ... this is just Turkey I am looking at here

I'd take a couple of semi final appearances, thanks!!

You do have to deal with what the draw throws up but you give yourself the best chance possible by finishing in the best spot possible!

Anyway, game, why do we make it difficult. Damn, Wales were poor. Maybe they had that win in the bag so were 50/50 in approaching the game but I don't even think Russia are that bothered atm.

We have really been the architect of own demise, two goals we shouldn't have conceeded. That free kick was stupid. I don't think you even need a wall in these cases, I always say this to a friend of mine. I thought Hart was quite far over but that was not a good free kick, not in the corner, just weak

At least Hodgson made the changes, it was needed and positive. Kane just not really got a look in. I was under the impression we loaded up on strikers for such instances, which is why it's so surprising he didn't call on Sturridge or Vardy for Russia. Anyway, totally deserved, Sturridge made a big difference

I think Dele Alli has struggled a bit too, just seems out of sorts

I think in tournaments you have to make big and bold decisions, it's not a league campaign

Sterling ... *sigh* - I have mentioned my doubts about our goals from midfield and Sterling epitomises it. He just does not have any goal instinct whatsoever, as evidenced by his 'finish' in the first half. Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, etc all knew where the goal was and weren't afraid to shoot. This is one of our big misses atm imo

Sterling is in poor form, wasn't great against Russia and continually makes poor decisions. He simply can't start against Slovakia. I do hope Pep can find a top player in there cause I worry about him

Was leaping around with that winner (near post though?) but why does it have to be like this, should have comfortably beaten them, disappointed in Wales

Sterling was really bad again, at least he rightfully got taken off at HT this time. Alli and Kane have been surprisingly poor, sadly. Huge win today, felt we were a little lucky but only in the same way we were unlucky to only get 1 point against Russia.

Hart really isn't close to being a world class keeper, either. So weak on the Bale goal. Also flapped at a cross early on.

First half was rather underwhelming, second half was better.

The problem with Sterling is he can't shoot.

Or cross, pass or tackle. So, pretty much good at running fast and occasionally looking flash and bad at the actual things that might win a football game.