English and Russian fans fight in Marseille

PMLF

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that like when they helped them by annexing Crimea?

Was a blog of a Russian hooligan and had a bunch of bullet points, cannot find it now but basically said along the lines of they are still their Ukrainian brothers despite what has happened between the countries....any excuse to fight I guess.

Have you ever been to Marseille?

It's not 'easy to look at the schedule after the event' (overlooking the fact that Lens/Lille haven't even happened yet). I was saying the same thing the other day in a conversation that I didn't understand why that fixture was in Marseille - not claiming any special insight, it was blindingly obvious to anyone with a vague knowledge of European football. A number of people with far more expertise have written about the scheduling.

I mean, I'm kinda surprised that the French police/stadium authorities have been so incompetent. The police haven't moved on at all from their tactics of do nothing - do nothing - indiscriminately teargas everyone that were so unsuccessful in 1998. And it's genuinely shocking that, in a country on high alert for terrorism, that Russians were able to get fireworks, flare guns and what was described as 'agricultural explosives' into the stadium unchecked.

Even if we accept your argument that UEFA were ignorant enough not to understand the potential of the fixture (which is demonstrably untrue as they had actually categorised it as the highest threat level), events as they occurred on Friday (especially as it became apparant that there were large organised Russian gangs tooled up for trouble) should have meant that the segregation in the stadium itself was immediately reassessed.

All your concerns were raised back in December. So they knew and had plenty of time to women it. And failed to do so

You do have to wonder how prepared they would have been/are in case of a terrorist attack. If fans are sneaking in flares and flare guns into the stadium you have to question how much they're searching people. My mate who went to the England/Russia game said they were barely even patted down as they went in.

You do have to wonder how prepared they would have been/are in case of a terrorist attack. If fans are sneaking in flares and flare guns into the stadium you have to question how much they're searching people. My mate who went to the England/Russia game said they were barely even patted down as they went in.

I'd like to think they know who they are looking out for.

I hope UEFA disqualifies the teams and arrests all hooligans. Or ban the fans from attending all remaining games and slap both teams with bans to play a number of future qualifying games behind closed doors. This barbaric behavior is ridiculous!

I would also want UEFA to accept their fair amount of responsibility for recent events, they are from from blameless organisers.

Both nations are know for their well organised supporter violence, the English are weekend enthusiasts when it comes to this stuff.

I hope UEFA disqualifies the teams and arrests all hooligans. Or ban the fans from attending all remaining games and slap both teams with bans to play a number of future qualifying games behind closed doors. This barbaric behavior is ridiculous!

Pretty sure that UEFA does not yet possess power of arrest...

Which are both teams? There's been at least 8 sets of fans involved in violence so far.

Which are both teams? There's been at least 8 sets of fans involved in violence so far.

It would be pretty unfair to ban any of them anyway, neither the FAs nor the players had anything to do with the incidents.

It would be pretty unfair to ban any of them anyway, neither the FAs nor the players had anything to do with the incidents.

There's video of the Russian Sports minister applauding the Russian fans as they run the England section, that doesn't look the best....

There's video of the Russian Sports minister applauding the Russian fans as they run the England section, that doesn't look the best....

That's not the Russian FA's official position. Should just ban that sports minister from going to the Euro 2016, in this case.

To be fair, no one is blameless in all of this. Yes, the English have a reputation for this sort of thing. Yes, the Russian fans looked like absolute helmets attacking the English after the game. This trouble is going to happen at any footballing event like this.

Not excusing any of it at all, but I do wonder whether this is all being sensationalised a bit due to social media and the way news is reported. People now on the look out for any signs of trouble and it's instantly being spread all over the internet.

I also wonder how often the tear-gas is used by the french police? It seems extreme to us in England as it isn't the norm, we'd have to have a cabinet meeting before we deployed tear-gas on an invading nation, the french are obviously a lot more liberal with it and more aggressive in their policing approach. All of this can make it look worse than it actually is.

To be fair, no one is blameless in all of this. Yes, the English have a reputation for this sort of thing. Yes, the Russian fans looked like absolute helmets attacking the English after the game. This trouble is going to happen at any sporting event like this.

Not excusing any of it at all, but I do wonder whether this is all being sensationalised a bit due to social media and the way news is reported. People now on the look out for any signs of trouble and it's instantly being spread all over the internet.

I also wonder how often the tear-gas is used by the french police? It seems extreme to us in England as it isn't the norm, we'd have to have a cabinet meeting before we deployed tear-gas on an invading nation, the french are obviously a lot more liberal with it and more aggressive in their policing approach. All of this can make it look worse than it actually is.

That's not true. There are plenty of other teams whose supporters don't act like a bunch of drunken louts, and there are plenty of other sports who don't have anything like this kind of trouble. Just face it, an awful lot of football fans are scum, particularly in England. Sure you can even see it week in week out in the highly sanitized coverage of teh bestest league in teh whole world. All sorts of tanked up eejits making all sorts of hand signals at the opposition's players, the snarls of hatred at the other teams' fans, scummy chants about disasters involving the other team's supporters, complete segregation because grown men can't be trusted to not attack each other, etc.

That's not true. There are plenty of other teams whose supporters don't act like a bunch of drunken louts, and there are plenty of other sports who don't have anything like this kind of trouble. Just face it, an awful lot of football fans are scum, particularly in England. Sure you can even see it week in week out in the highly sanitized coverage of teh bestest league in teh whole world. All sorts of tanked up eejits making all sorts of hand signals at the opposition's players, the snarls of hatred at the other teams' fans, scummy chants about disasters involving the other team's supporters, complete segregation because grown men can't be trusted to not attack each other, etc.

You're quite right, I meant footballing event specifically rather than any sports.

It's not that it's more aggressive, it's that it's really ****ing ineffective. Basically how football used to be policed in Britain in the 1980s (but with batons being the weapon of choice rather than tear gas). Wait until a situation kicks off and then pile in with force. It didn't work in Britain in the 1980s and it doesn't work now. It just creates more aggro because the people caught up in the pile in are more likely to be innocent bystanders than the actual troublemakers, and the hardcore are off away to regroup and have another pop. How can you have armed gangs roaming around a city carrying weapons and basically wearing uniforms and the police have hardly arrested anyone. If it was policed how public order policing goes in the UK now, everyone would be on film, the ringleaders would be identified and taken out, anyone carrying a weapon would be pulled and the local troublemakers wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the potential flashpoint areas in numbers.

150 Russians behind much of violence in Marseille ahead of Euro 2016 England-Russia match' date=' say French prosecutors[/i']

Russian hooligans >>> foreign hooligans:

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 6s7 seconds ago

Following violence in Marseille 6 British, 3 French & an Austrian arrested. 150 suspected Russians escaped arrest.

How can 150 people escape arrest? :eek:

Really good article by one of the journalists who was in Marseilles on saturday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-russians-go-to-war-with-an-english-myth-1.2682005

Good to read this.

Too many innocent people have been caught up this time and (like i referred to above) amongst them are journalists and WAGs, i'm actually glad that from this we can actually get a fair report and hopefully it will stop the reactionary nonsense and the English slagging off their own regardless of the facts.

Russian hooligans >>> foreign hooligans:

How can 150 people escape arrest? :eek:

They escape arrest even despite wearing the exact same shirts, so many of them with black shirts on and the local team they support, so many with MMA gloves as well...yet they escape the police :D

Michael Yokhin ‏@Yokhin

Igor Lebedev, Russian FA executive: "90% of the fans go to football to fight, and that is normal. Our guys stood for our country".

lol

Read that earlier, pretty extraordinary really that someone with so much influence can be that dense.

The 2018 World Cup is going to be one giant, bloody, train wreck isn't it?

Michael Yokhin ‏@Yokhin

Igor Lebedev, Russian FA executive: "90% of the fans go to football to fight, and that is normal. Our guys stood for our country".

lol

Tbf, that quote is a lie, most likely. I couldn't find any such words from.him.

Good to read this.

Too many innocent people have been caught up this time and (like i referred to above) amongst them are journalists and WAGs' date=' i'm actually glad that from this we can actually get a fair report and hopefully it will stop the reactionary nonsense and the English slagging off their own regardless of the facts.[/quote']

Except that article apportions a level of blame to the English fans too ?

Sure the bigger portions are with the local troublemakers and the Russian thugs, but a significant minority of English fans were also out looking for trouble.

Read that earlier, pretty extraordinary really that someone with so much influence can be that dense.

The 2018 World Cup is going to be one giant, bloody, train wreck isn't it?

No, because they'll instantly go to modern-day Gulags if they try to repeat something similar during Putin's Cup.

And because Russian police is 1000x more organized than these French clowns.

If anyone wanted to blow something up, it could happen during any game.

How can a French minister say that 150 Russians are at fault for this? He's basically admitting that they're so incompetent that they can't control 150 people.

After the spent hundreds of millions on security measures before EURO.

Whole Europe knew what was bound to happen in Marseille on Saturday after the groups were drawn, yet they did nothing to prevent it.

Btw, those English guys that got arrested all got a couple of months in prison.

No, because they'll instantly go to modern-day Gulags if they try to repeat something similar during Putin's Cup.

And because Russian police is 1000x more organized than these French clowns.

That is why there is no hooliganism in Russia. Oh, wait.

That is why there is no hooliganism in Russia. Oh, wait.

Ofc there is. But most of it happens in the woods where they beat each other up, far away from the civilization.

It doesn't happen that often around the stadiums.

Goverment goes easy on them in exchange for no other troubles (during protests and such).

It doesn't happen that often around the stadiums.

Goverment goes easy on them in exchange for no other troubles (during protests and such).

You'd think that with all those 1000 x more organised police, they would be able to control protests as well and wouldn't need to make tacit deals with criminal gangs?

You'd think that with all those 1000 x more organised police, they would be able to control protests as well and wouldn't need to make tacit deals with criminal gangs?

Why waste their resources on that when those criminal gangs aren't harming any outsiders and they're not using any weapons.

And then they can send them out to make trouble in countries which they dislike, like Poland four years ago, or France now.

Except that article apportions a level of blame to the English fans too ?

Sure the bigger portions are with the local troublemakers and the Russian thugs, but a significant minority of English fans were also out looking for trouble.

Im not saying that it isn't, its just nice to see someone say 'hold on a minute' and describe what was happening rather than saying ENGLISH THUGS GO ON RAMPAGE without any context. Hopefully it can make other people understand what is happening and talk less reactionary nonsense

Why waste their resources on that when those criminal gangs aren't harming any outsiders and they're not using any weapons.

And then they can send them out to make trouble in countries which they dislike, like Poland four years ago, or France now.

I'm not used to winning arguments this easily, it's hard to know what to say.

I'm not used to winning arguments this easily, it's hard to know what to say.

It's not an argument. It's just how things are.

While the world is not looking and when they're not harming any outsiders/property, Putin doesn't care.

In two years, the world will be watching Russia and nothing will happen.

Just look at the statements from Russian ministers.

One of them basically said "Good job from the lads."

The other one said "It's normal for them to fight before a game."

Third one said "They defended our nation's honor."

Archived