English and Russian fans fight in Marseille

PMLF

It's still amazing that in this day and age that police all over the world still have zero clue how to deal with large groups of people. Their first reaction is to always use a sledgehammer to hammer that proverbial nail into the wall. If they're not overreacting, they're nowhere to be seen.

And yet nearly everybody's first reaction is disgust and panning of the people seen in the footage, they don't wait to find out what happened. Thankfully a lot of journos and other well followed people on social media are experiencing it first hand and telling everyone how desperately **** the situation is. As usual the authorities have a lot to answer for

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some bloke on Twitter: UEFA have began disciplinary proceedings against Russia for events in the stadium. Possible that they could be sanctioned quite severely due to having had sanctions after each of their Euro 2012 matches.

Some bloke on Twitter: UEFA have began disciplinary proceedings against Russia for events in the stadium. Possible that they could be sanctioned quite severely due to having had sanctions after each of their Euro 2012 matches.

The suspended points deduction expired after the qualifiers. Be interesting if UEFA do decide to hand out a punishment what it is, can't really force them to play any home games behind closed doors for the foreseeable future.

I went to see a game in Moscow once and the police/army presence is massive. It was just a random league game, no rivalry between the sides, and yet the security presence was huge. Walking from the ground back to the metro the path was totally enclosed by army, and soldiers on each metro carriage back.

We went to a bar in the centre afterwards and got chatting to some of the locals who had also been at the game, they were pretty pleased that we'd been. They were very nice but one of them pointed out a giant of a man sat with his mates at another table and told us 'if you weren't with me, they'd beat you up because they don't like foreigners'. Later that night a bunch of (different) Russians had a big fight, sort of over us.

So I don't think there'll be any issues at/near the stadiums in 2018 but there certainly could be danger in the cities themselves.

Clearly Polish fans. :rolleyes: Doesn't UEFA know its kits?

That pic wasn't posted by UEFA, it was posted by some Man Utd fan in a reply to UEFA's post.

He certainly didn't know (or care) that they were Polish, not Russian though.

I went to see a game in Moscow once and the police/army presence is massive. It was just a random league game, no rivalry between the sides, and yet the security presence was huge. Walking from the ground back to the metro the path was totally enclosed by army, and soldiers on each metro carriage back.

We went to a bar in the centre afterwards and got chatting to some of the locals who had also been at the game, they were pretty pleased that we'd been. They were very nice but one of them pointed out a giant of a man sat with his mates at another table and told us 'if you weren't with me, they'd beat you up because they don't like foreigners'. Later that night a bunch of (different) Russians had a big fight, sort of over us.

So I don't think there'll be any issues at/near the stadiums in 2018 but there certainly could be danger in the cities themselves.

Exactly this.

The main issues will be in Moscow and SPB. While there are ultras in most other cities, places like Kazan, Samara, Saransk, Yekaterinburg are much more civil.

Exactly this.

The main issues will be in Moscow and SPB. While there are ultras in most other cities, places like Kazan, Samara, Saransk, Yekaterinburg are much more civil.

Maybe the cost of visiting Russia may put some hardcore element off but you have hardcore elements Dutch, Polish, etc also

That's tantamount to inciting others to goad English & Russian people, even a group who are not there for the football would be at risk.

Are they talking about the stuff on the streets or the fighting inside the stadium?
"The UEFA Executive Committee has warned both football associations that – irrespective of any decisions taken by the independent disciplinary bodies relating to incidents inside the stadium – it will not hesitate to impose additional sanctions on the Football Association (FA) and the Russian Football Union (RFU)' date=' including the potential disqualification of their respective teams from the tournament, should such violence occur again,"[/quote']

Here's the statement

England fans without tickets have been advised by French authorities to go and watch the match in Lille – where Russia play Slovakia the previous day.

wtf

That's just because Lens is tiny and can't accommodate that number of people, I believe the FA made the same recommendation.

Can't see it ending well.

That's a vanilla statement, just sets out the max penalty but I doubt they'd go straight to the top of the penalty list.

Yeah it seems odd as only Russia were punished for the actions inside the stadium. You also have to wonder why they haven't threatened the French too as their hooligans have been instigating a lot of the trouble in multiple cities.

And Algeria. They should definitely be kicked out of the competition.

Makes no sense to say England will get kicked out of the tournament, when it was only the Russians who attacked anyone after the match inside the stadium, but if they're also including outside of the stadium then the French should also be getting this warning.

Only the French and Russian hooligans have turned up looking for a fight, they're the ones that have been organised.

Is there anything that UEFA have done so far in terms of scheduling, organisation, etc that wouldn't be done by someone trying to cause the maximum amount of violence possible?

England v Russia in Marseille at 9pm on a Saturday night.

England v Wales in Lens and Russia next door in Lille, where the England and Wales fans have been advised to head for alcohols.

Incentivising everyone else to attack England and Russia fans in the hope of getting them kicked out....

Is there anything that UEFA have done so far in terms of scheduling, organisation, etc that wouldn't be done by someone trying to cause the maximum amount of violence possible?

England v Russia in Marseille at 9pm on a Saturday night.

England v Wales in Lens and Russia next door in Lille, where the England and Wales fans have been advised to head for alcohols.

Incentivising everyone else to attack England and Russia fans in the hope of getting them kicked out....

Have you considered that UEFA were expecting the fans to behave themselves? Easy to look at a schedule after the event

Have you considered that UEFA were expecting the fans to behave themselves? Easy to look at a schedule after the event

Russian hooligans declared how they would fight the English the moment the game was announced.

Have you ever been to Marseille?

It's not 'easy to look at the schedule after the event' (overlooking the fact that Lens/Lille haven't even happened yet). I was saying the same thing the other day in a conversation that I didn't understand why that fixture was in Marseille - not claiming any special insight, it was blindingly obvious to anyone with a vague knowledge of European football. A number of people with far more expertise have written about the scheduling.

I mean, I'm kinda surprised that the French police/stadium authorities have been so incompetent. The police haven't moved on at all from their tactics of do nothing - do nothing - indiscriminately teargas everyone that were so unsuccessful in 1998. And it's genuinely shocking that, in a country on high alert for terrorism, that Russians were able to get fireworks, flare guns and what was described as 'agricultural explosives' into the stadium unchecked.

Even if we accept your argument that UEFA were ignorant enough not to understand the potential of the fixture (which is demonstrably untrue as they had actually categorised it as the highest threat level), events as they occurred on Friday (especially as it became apparant that there were large organised Russian gangs tooled up for trouble) should have meant that the segregation in the stadium itself was immediately reassessed.

Considering that they rated the matches at a high risk of disturbances I can't believe that UEFA expected fans to behave themselves.

Would it be cynical to suggest there is a political element to the violence with the UK voting remain/leave later this month.

Russia have been trying to drive a wedge between the EU countries for a while now & if UEFA throw England out its surely going to lead to a backlash with an increased leave vote.

Germany and Ukraine kicking off in Lille at the moment. Wonder if they will have left before the Russians arrive?

Russian hooligans were meant to be meeting up to help 'their Ukrainian brothers'. So some are probably already there.

Archived