If at first you don't succeed, blame the game and try again - A San Marino Youth Challenge 2.0

Bedese

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Youth Intake Day!

4f22b269dc62f944fd44a031c77b187f.png

cf35bba69aed0de61d5741049cd4d7fd.png

It's not a winger or striker, but we actually did need a FB. Matteo Giardi (YP77) thinks he's too good for us and is going to leave on a free in summer, so a space opens up at RB. That'll go to Alberto Pozzo (YP84), which lets Luca Giuliani (YP86) slide in at LB to replace Alejandro Jimenez (YP72), who just isn't that good. Still, it's a really disappointing intake, considering we're still s**te going forward. At least 'Tiziano Taglialatela' has a cool name. That'll look good in the free agents list when I release him before his trial even ends.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We're in bad shape. Two years in a row without the CL. Our squad is just really weak right now, and it's going to be worse when our best player, Matteo Giardi (YP77) leaves in a few weeks.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Another trophy-less season.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Simoncini (YP73) - 7.69

I mean, he didn't play that much, but whatever. No-one was good.

Top Goalscorer:

Matteo Gualtieri (YP82) - 34

Here's our new star striker. Can you tell how excited I am about him? (Not at all). He's alright domestically, but terrible for European standards.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Alberto Pozzo (YP84)

Probably the brightest talent in our squad right now. A FB who's good going forward, I am genuinely excited about him.

Aims for Next Season:

Just give us a good intake.

Other teams:

League winners: Faetano beat us in the final.

Cup winners: Tre Fiori beat us in the final.

How the team in CL Qualifying did: Juvenes Dogana lost 4-1 to Qarabag Agdam from Azerbaijan in the Second Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Hadjuk in the Third Round. Murata lost 4-0 to Levski Sofia and Faetano lost 7-0 to Maccabi Haifa.

San Marino National Team:

2050 Results --------------- 2051 Results

Putting 3 past Faroe Islands is pretty good.

53a17d8635efc82429e9c195f6b6d7c4.png

A superb RB for us over nearly two decades, Bianchi played 349 games for the club. In those games, he scored 10 goals, nabbed 31 assists, got 7 MOTMs and had a superb average rating of 7.42. 

3ecd166dc4b10e3622231b245a43acb8.png

I had no idea this was happening. Fantastic. There goes our 'star' CM.

5db211f16de556839d5d929d661ff151.png

This one I knew was happening. Our best player's gone off to Turkey.

b75c43c3e1cec093a08ff6d2cec468f7.png

I can't wait to put 5 past him.

18f4a4453491fc62e3a76307c2f7f766.png

Or not. We've actually lost to a team without any players. I want to curl up in a ball and cry. Actually, I want to curl up most of my players into a ball, give that ball a really hard kick, and then cry. I feel like the Russian manager after the Euros. 

'You know what, lads? I've worked it out. Basically - we're s**te.'

32 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

You got a DR and then an AMC so at least you're moving gin the right direction :lol:

More than can be said for the AMC's passes. He's useless :lol: 

10 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Or not. We've actually lost to a team without any players. I want to curl up in a ball and cry. Actually, I want to curl up most of my players into a ball, give that ball a really hard kick, and then cry. I feel like the Russian manager after the Euros. 

'You know what, lads? I've worked it out. Basically - we're s**te.'

[cries in Sammarinese]

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Wooooooow, we're lucky. We were terrible. No if's, no but's. We barely scraped into the playoffs, needing a win on the final day to stay above Folgore and hold onto third. We stepped it up in the playoffs and we're back in the CL, but we don't really deserve to be.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Pretty much a carbon copy of the league. Terrible at the start, picked it up and barely scraped through to the knockouts, and then ended up lifting the trophy.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Paolo Zafferani (YP75) - 7.60

He did alright, but he's really not that good. His technicals are awful.

Top Goalscorer:

Matteo Gualtieri (YP82) - 19

We're so weak upfront.

Alberto Pozzo (YP84)

I'd hoped that he'd be developing a bit quicker, but he's still pretty great.

Aims for Next Season:

We're pretty bad, so some players who are less bad would be nice.

Other teams:

League winners: :D 

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: Faetano lost 8-0 to Sparta Prague in the Second Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to p**sing Teplice in the Second Qualifying Round. Domagnano lost 4-1 to Domzale but we had the first other Sammarinese team to win a Europa game! Tre Fiori beat Rabotnicki from Macedonia on penalties before losing 4-0 to Levski in the Second Round. Superb from them.

2051 Results --------------- 2052 Results

A great draw vs Ireland.

b3772a4610766810f10dbb2d6581fc77.png

With that, the club's best ever player has hung up his boots. A striker blessed with a golden touch and lightning pace, Podeschi was a real star for us for a long time. Capable of mixing it with some of Europe's best he was always a key player for us in European trips, and there's no doubt we'd have made a lot less progress had we not had him. His long shots were a joy to watch, with his goal against Celtic being voted by fans the best goal in the history of the club. He retires having played 303 games for the club, banging in 260 goals, 86 assists, 65 MOTMs, an average rating of 7.80, and one very happy manager.

6 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Have they never given you the option, or accepted a request to improve youth recruitment?

Not an option yet. That's the main thing that holds us back, because it has such a big impact on the quality of youngsters coming through. In my save here, we went for about 130 years and still never had it given to us as even an option - granted, the reputation on that save was slightly buggy, but it gives you some idea of how hard it is to get it improved. IMO Youth Recruitment is far and away the most important factor in determining the quality of youngsters coming into your academy, so it's a huge thing to upgrade, and as soon as I get the option I'm going for it 100% - we just haven't been given the option yet.

Youth Intake Day!

d43f773882c9411dc0ef6eaf04f41832.png

af163357790a7e8c07eabf38872b3531.png

Positives: He's a winger.

Negatives: Everything else. He just doesn't look that good, and his potential is pretty limited. He's an upgrade, but not a good one. Still no strikers, either. I'm really, really disappointed with our recent intakes. We just have such a lack of talent in our squad right now.

2 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

Keep going jupjamie. All it take is one star to carry your team ;)

Thanks for the support, Gato. I feel pretty positive about our chances of getting one soon. A nice, new shiny striker wouldn't go amiss :D 

9 minutes ago, clarkehwbu said:

Sat and read this all in one sitting very entertaining, hopefully the dark days come to an end and the rise re-continues

Thanks mate, your support is much appreciated :D 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Better, although we still needed extra time in our first two playoff games. Still, we're in the CL again, which is all that matters.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Paolo Zafferani (YP75) - 8.17

He's the best CM we have, which isn't saying that much. He's decent, but nothing special.

Top Goalscorer:

Matteo Gualtieri (YP82) - 22

New striker please.

Alberto Pozzo (YP84)

Our FBs are fantastic, at least.

Aims for Next Season:

We need to win our CL Second Round game, but more than that we need to start getting some actual talent into the club.

Other teams:

League winners: :D 

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Shamrock Rovers (I know) in the Second Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: Tre Fiori lost 3-0 to Viktoria Plzen and Fiorentino lost 3-0 to Lechia from Poland. Faetano, however - they beat Valetta from Malta 6-0! I presume they were seeded, but 6-0 is superb. They lost 4-0 to Basel (which is pretty good, to be honest) in the Second Round.

2052 Results --------------- 2053 Results

Not great.

e8aff169c7e74d0c5f4645d09a37a53d.png

Someone who was never content with playing second fiddle, Matteo Casadei (YP61) was undoubtedly less talented than Marco Podeschi (YP58), but just had a knack for scoring goals against the big boys. His hattrick against Saint-Etienne gave us our first ever European group win, and was voted as 'best individual performance' by the fans. He played 219 games for us, scored 132 goals, had 64 assists, 37 MOTMs and an average rating of 7.49.

14 minutes ago, iacovone said:

Thoroughly enjoying this. Does the San Giovanni stadium have 'Academy of Goalkeepers' emblazoned across its tunnel walls? ;) 

Actually, it does! It got a bit ruined, though - Stefano Zafferani (YP71) scratched 'Murderers of dreams' below it.

Just now, iacovone said:

Hahaha that b*****d

It's fine, I got revenge. I made a mould of his face and it's hung up on the wall like a deer head, just to remind people what happens if you get too big for your boots. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to do that with his real head.

Archived