England V Russia - Group B - ITV1 KO: 20:00

Djstu23

81767_500.jpg

velodrome_marseille.jpg?itok=2m0jLDCJ

Stade Velodrome Marseille

England's Chris Smalling, Gary Cahill and Ryan Bertrand have all received treatment for minor injuries this week but are set to be available for England's opener against Russia.

Media reports suggest striker Jamie Vardy could be dropped on Saturday.

Russia are without Alan Dzagoev and Igor Denisov, both of whom suffered tournament-ending injuries after their initial 23-man squad was named.

Ex-Chelsea man Yuri Zhirkov is also absent because of an Achilles injury.

Danny Welbeck, who has appeared at the last two major tournaments for England, heads the list of injured absentees for England.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know he won't but dropping Rooney for Vardy is the only sensible thing to do.

Yawn

Looking forward to it and pretty optimistic. Russia team is very average and missing a lot of big players. We should win, and probably should do it comfortably.

I know he won't but dropping Rooney for Vardy is the only sensible thing to do.

Don't think Vardy would be very good in CM.

Heard yesterday that Engand have never won their opening game to a Euros before. Think they will win by 3/4 tonight. Kane Hattrick.

Danny Murphy had Lallanna and Sterling starting either side of Kane on the BBC earlier. Thank god he's not the manager.

He's right isn't he?

Dier, Ali and Rooney playing in midfield. Sterling and Lallanna out wide/off Kane

Danny Murphy had Lallanna and Sterling starting either side of Kane on the BBC earlier. Thank god he's not the manager.

From the England thread, knew I seen it somewhere:

ecsImgHodgsonMain-7512198592993089819.jpg

Yea, read that too.

No one actually knows though. Be surprised if Wilshere doesn't start.

Don't think he's fit enough to play a full 90. Only smart thing Roy's done if he doesn't start him. Wilshere's fitness makes shoehorning Rooney in easier for him.

I would have stuck with the diamond with Dier, Wilshere, Ali and Sterling with Rooney and Kane up front, then subbed Rooney with Vardy or Rashford depending on how the game is going around 60 minutes.

Should be starting the team we ended with vs Germany with Hart swapped in for Forster IMO.

Hart, Clyne, Rose, Smalling, Cahill, Dier, Henderson, Ali, Barkley, Vardy, Kane.

Swap Henderson for Milner maybe, doesn't really matter.

Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose, Alli, Dier, Rooney, Sterling, Kane, Lallana.

must have spies ;)

Just don't get it. Why move Rooney back into central midfield, after all the experimenting in the friendlies? Just doesn't make sense. He's picked a ******** of central midfielders, and then uses a forward there who isn't really that good in the role.

Just don't get it. Why move Rooney back into central midfield, after all the experimenting in the friendlies? Just doesn't make sense. He's picked a ******** of central midfielders, and then uses a forward there who isn't really that good in the role.

He picked players expecting to use the diamond and realized the diamond just isn't cutting it, now he's got too many strikers and not enough wingers.

Wtf is wrong with people? World would be so much better if hooligans and thugs like this were wiped off the face of the Earth. Awful scum.

I honestly don't get it. What part of fighting, throwing bottles and smashing stuff up is so appealing? Never thrown a punch in my life, just can't fathom why these poeple feel like such big bollocks acting like that. Pathetic stuff.

Wow ITV's coverage is already terrible and **** off Ian Wright.

Shocked with that team, no idea what to expect now. That is by far the most attack minded team I've ever seen England put out.

Let's hope Roy's got some sort of masterplan.

He picked players expecting to use the diamond and realized the diamond just isn't cutting it, now he's got too many strikers and not enough wingers.

The diamond is fine with the right players and played properly. England can fill both criteria, but didn't during the friendlies. I think it's their best system

Was it me or was the BBC reporter blaming Russian fans there?

He kept saying Russian hooligans were fighting with English 'fans'.

Well there are gangs of Russians there. And locals. And English fans. You've basically got three sets of the worst type of human descending on the same location, it's a mess.

Was it me or was the BBC reporter blaming Russian fans there?

He kept saying Russian hooligans were fighting with English 'fans'.

It actually sounds like that's the case. Russian Ultras with chairs and even knives launched unprovoked attacks on fans.

Just switched over to ITV to see one of the touchline team is wearing a jacket with a small polka dot pattern. Terrible choice for TV, feeling dizzy.

Video there of ultras attacking England fans then running away when police arrive

English group foolish for chasing after the attackers, the police were there so they should have stepped away.

We really should be beating Russia, they aren't as good as they have been in the past and certainly no better than we faced in qualifying.

They are fairly lucky to be here given they finished 2nd in the group and would have been 3rd had they not been awarded a 3-0 win.

1465669255925612.jpg

Another sign that I'm getting old is that I still prefer the pre-renovation ground, something about an uncovered stadium on the Mediterranean coast that is just more appealing.

Archived