Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shindigs

[1.1.1] Currency Issue

If you launch the game with certain currencies, they won't actually get the correct values for all relevant salaries/demands/budgets.

For example; if you start the game with Swedish kronor as the currency. "Player A" will have a salary of 180,000 Kr. If you swap currency to USD and back, his salary will now be 215,000 Kr. All wage demands/budgets/etc. will also scale up by the same amount, so it doesn't change anything balancing wise. The difference isn't the same between all currencies. I made a speadsheet, but can't find it again. The short of it was that most currencies saw a 20-30% gain after toggling back and forth. Using the "Restart game" option doesn't reset it back. However Quitting the game and starting it again does reset the values back to their original (presumably false) values. There were two big outliers, Swiss Franc, that actually saw a 20% loss rather than a gain. And Russian Rubles that saw a whopping 127% gain after toggling.

The following currencies saw no change after "toggling": Dollar, Australian Dollar, Yen and Slovakian Koruna.

The following showed a decrease: Swiss Franc.

The following showed an increase: Swedish Kronor, Pound Sterling, Danish Kronor, Euro, Norwegian Kronor, Polish zl, Ruble, Canadian Dollar and Czech Koruna.

The increase isn't 100% similar across all things either, probably rounding related though. But Russian Ruble showed a smaller 125% gain for allowed wage in the "contract screen" and a 127% gain for wage demands. Probably too small to matter, but it's there.

The reason I assumed the "original" values for the problem currencies to be false is that at least for Swedish Kronor the original value to original Dollar value rate of exchange was ~7.2 which is too low, whereas after toggling the rate of exchange is ~8.2 which is close to what it probably would have been around when they game was released, since it's currently at 8.5947 according to Forex.

Are you sure this isn't just rounding errors? Salaries are stepped and you can't offer any intermediate amount.

A salary of 180.000 SEK would be 25.000 USD and US salaries are stepped by the 10.000 so it would be rounded to 30.000 and when you convert back to SEK you'd get 216.000 which then gets rounded to 215.000. All using the $ to kr factor of 7.2.

To check if what you're saying is an issue you should check with varying amounts not just one singular salary. If it's rounding errors you will not get the same effect with different amounts.

The difference for rubles is 127%. As in the value after toggling back and forth is 2.27x as big as when you launch the game with rubles. That is pretty much outside the range of rounding errors. Also if it was a rounding error you'd see the biggest outliers in the currencies with very small exchange rates (rubles and yen) but yen is completely correct and rubles is the one that is the most incorrect, so it just doesn't fit with rounding errors. At least not from what I've seen. But since I misplaced the spreadsheet where I put all of this I can't really revisit the numbers. But since it's super easy to replicate due to happening at every single game start up, feel free to test it yourself. It just takes a while to do for all currencies.

I might have been unclear in the first post, I checked: Salary of the highest earner, Current amount of team money, Salary budget, Wage demand/allowed wage/wage per year of one ass. coach (same every time). Essentially every single monetary value I could think to check increased/decreased by the same amount. So it has no impact on gameplay/balance. It's merely a visual bug, incorrect salaries are shown. But since everything is equally incorrect (+/- ~2%) it won't actually change how the game runs. It's just a bit annoying to have to go into preferences and toggle the currency every time you start the game to be shown the assumed "correct" values when using one of the affected currencies, which I am.

Also when you toggle to USD the game does show the salary as 25k $, when you then toggle back to SEK it shows 215.000, when you toggle back to USD again it shows 25k $ still, which is roughly ~8.6 exchange rate, which is ballpark what it should be. 7.2 SEK/$ hasn't been correct since about april 2011. So if the case you bring up is in fact correct, then the exchange rates are incorrect, which should be fixed if that is the actual issue at hand. I'm just bringing up that something isn't working as it should. I don't claim to have perfect knowledge of which part it is. But something isn't right.

The original reason I tested this was because I assumed the kind of rounding errors you mention would be a thing. And I intended to see if it could be used to be able to offer slightly higher salaries to players who are demanding just a tiny tiny bit more money than your board will allow you to pay. But instead I found this, and got too derailed to check for that.

Guess my last post is still being moderated, so can't edit it. But I just remembered. The same change happens no matter which currency you change back and forth between. So unless the exact same rounding as you describe happens between all combinations of currencies (all I tested at least, which is 13 different combinations) then that shouldn't be what is happening. It's very unlikely at least. But I'll leave it up to someone who actually has access to the code and can see what's up to figure out which one it is.

What you should do is to check with different salaries to see if you get the same conversion factor with 180.000 as you do with 320.000 or with 245.000.

If you get the exact same conversion between the same currencies but with different amounts then you're on to something but if the conversion factor changes with the different amounts then it's a rounding error.

Just as a final note, I did check the salaries of 4 players in vastly different wage ranges to see how it looked.

The exchange rate from the original "launch" value in SEK to the USD value was a bit all over the place with a standard deviation of 0.22. The ratio of "launch" SEK to "toggled" SEK was less spread but still a standard deviation of 0.04. The exchange rate of USD to "toggled" SEK was all within the range you'd expect, with a standard deviation of 0.004, probably due to rounding.

The 7.2 factor just happened to be what it was for that salary between "lauch" SEK and USD for that specific salary, in this test it ranged between 7.222222 and 6.666667 so that factor was just a fluke (and the only one i happened to remember since I lost the original spreadsheet).

Presumably all salary values from the database are put in as dollars since the game is very NHL centric, for whatever reason when you launch the game with certain other currencies it will get a different value entirely, that doesn't fit with real life exchange rates (but is always the same value, so whatever is going awry is consistent). But as soon as you turn one of the problem currencies back on after having toggled to any other currency, even another "broken" currency, it will recalculate the salaries and all other monetary values to their correct values based on an exchange rate that at least for USD to SEK is correct. Why the game doesn't use this same calculation on startup I do not know. If you restart the game using the "Restart game button" as previously mentioned the game will still maintain the correct recalculated values. But quitting to desktop and relaunching will give the incorrect "launch" values again.

Some examples in case I'm being unclear:

Launching the game with Swiss Franc will return a false value for all monetary values, they will be too high. As soon as you go into preferences and pick any other currency, which one does not matter at all. hit ok. then open preferences and choose Swiss Franc (or any of the other previously listed problem currencies) it will now show a correct value that matches up with exchange rates (more or less).

Launching the game with Yen selected (not one of the problem currencies) will show the correct values right off the bat, and if you select any other currency it too will be correct since this forces the game to recalculate the numbers (presumably).

So if you always play with USD as the currency this problem will never affect you at all. It simply can't. It will however affect essentially all players (except slovaks) using european currencies for one reason or another, as well as canadians who favor using their own currency. But as previously mentioned it doesn't give any benefit/loss since all things get changed an equal amount. If you never bothered doing this test you probably wouldn't even notice it's there. I made it 650 hours before noticing, and only due to testing if there was a way to exploit rounding when signing new contract deals (which I still haven't actually tested since this derailed it) so this is probably about as far down the list as something can get for priority when it comes to bug fixing. Because it's essentially a cosmetic bug that can be "fixed" player side in about 5 seconds at each game start. But it is there, so I should report it.