Cannot make it to Xmas with Liverpool!

Just to expand on the topic title,

I have tried to start a Liverpool save and have had no luck in the last 5 loads.

I seem to do well in pre-season andthe tactic looks like it is working how I want, and then the season starts and I lose a few games. The teams morale decreases and the results get worse.

I have started this thread to see if I can get any help from the forum on my tactics and any other help. The tactic I will use will be a fresh start as I am obviously doing something wrong with my previous methods.

I will start off with explaining what I would like my team to do and then look at the shape of my tactic and TI/PI's before going in to the players I will use.

WHAT DO I WANT THE TEAM TO DO?

Defending phases - I would like the team to press the ball when it is lost, but not too much that the players get dragged out of position allowing the opposition to take advantage of massive spaces. If possible I would like the defensive line to hold tight and allow the midfielders to do the pressing.

Transition phases - I would like at least one full back to be involved in attacks and for a midfielder to cover him when he has pushed high up the pitch.

Attacking phases - I would like the team to work the ball up to the final third and look for clever passes behind the defense for the striker to finish. Also there should be an option of a quick break away and a cross to the striker that has made a forward run in to the box.

I understand that with these 'wishes' maybe they cannot be implemented at the same time and that is why I have posted here to find the best balance.

SHAPE OF THE TACTIC

I haven't decided on a final shape of a tactic as of yet, but have come up with the following ideas -

4-1-4-1

tactic4_zpsmje1pmtq.jpg

This shape gives me plenty of players for the defensive phase however I would have to have a look at roles and TI's to achieve my attacking phase 'wish' as the striker could easily get isolated.

4-2-3-1

tactic2_zpsvooy9v4x.jpg

This shape would give me plenty of options in the attacking phase but could leave me short during the transition phase (if we lose the ball) and the defensive phase as we would be short down the wings unless PI's were given to the wide players.

4-4-1-1

tactic1_zpsqclqykfv.jpg

This shape looks like it would be good in the defensive phase, transition phase and the attacking phase aslong as the wide players could make up the ground to support the attack.

4-1-2-2-1

tactic%203_zpsevvdbtuz.jpg

This shape looks solid defensively in the centre, however on the wings it could be a worry. The attacking phase could also be a worry if the players on the wings stay too far away from the striker, this could also be said about one of the central midfielders. I have used this one the most and have not been able to make it work.

TACTIC SHAPE DECISION MADE

tactic1_zpsqclqykfv.jpg

After a day to think about it, I have decided that this is the tactical shape I will be adopting for this new attempt at enjoying FM16.

The advantages that I can see with this tactic are as follows -

- Solid in defense and midfield in any defensive phase

- With the right TI's there will be enough players to break out and start an attack

- Plenty of attacking options in the final third, aslong as the wide players advance quick enough

WHAT PLAYER ROLES TO ASSIGN?

I now have the job of identifying roles for all 11 players while making sure they all compliment each other and no spaces are left open for the opposition to exploit.

Goalkeeper - I just want the Goalkeeper to be a normal run of the mill keeper who won't do anything stupid and just keep things simple.

Left Back - This is the player I would like to break out from defense and make forward runs down the wing giving the opposition another problem to deal with. I would like him to go on the outside of the opposition defender and cross in to the box for a player to finish.

Centre Halves - I want these 2 players to keep things simple and play shorter balls to either the central midfielders or the full backs. Being pulled out of position by opposition forwards is a definate NO NO.

Right Back - The right full backs job is to support the right winger and keep solid defensively. Not played to rush forward but can cross from deep when the time comes.

Left Midfield - I would like this player to be a creative player who cuts in from the left into a space in front of the oppositions defense. Doing this would make him harder to mark while giving him the opportunity to find a killer pass to the striker.

Left Central Midfield - This player is played in this position to cover for the advancing left fullback. His secondary job will be to break up any oposition play in front of our back four and laying it off to nearby players.

Right Central Midfield - This position will be the work horse in midfield, helping out in defense but also making forward runs to help out the attack.

Right Midfield - I would like this player to make forward runs to help provide key passes to the striker leading to goals. This position would look to stay slightly wider than the Left Midfielder.

Attacking Midfield - This player will be the creative player that is the closest to the striker. He will be the first player to play him in if a quick break is on the cards.

Striker - The striker will be the main goalscorer and will need to hold a position in the centre of the box to stop him getting in the way of the players trying to assist him.

After some consideration the following are the roles I have chosen to begin with -

GK - Def

DL - FB (A)

DCL - CD (D)

DCR - CD (D)

DR - FB (S)

ML - WP (A)

MCL - CM (D)

MCR - BBM (S)

MR - WM (S)

AMC - T (A)

STC - P (A)

final%20tactic_zpsq1etdowe.jpg

REASONS FOR CHOSING ROLES

DL - The attacking attacking full back who pushes past the ML

ML - The creative player who sits between the oppositions midfield and defense but hopefully isn't picked up.

(these 2 players are both on an attacking mentallity which I will have to watch as I would usually use a support role for one of them)

MCL - The player to cover for the full back

MR - I have never used a wide midfielder and so will have to watch this role to see if he does what I require of him, ie. make the runs up the wing but help the RB out in defense.

AMC - I want this player to roam around looking for the ball and creating space where he cannot be followed without people being dragged out of position

STC - Again, I have never used this role for a striker, I will have to watch that he doesnt get isolated and keeps in the game ready for any through balls or key passes to him.

I am open to discussion on the roles chosen as I still do not feel it is the finished article until I see it in a game and can make changes that show progress in the match engine.

MENTALITY AND TEAM SHAPE

I am also looking at advice for mentality and team shape as I always seem to be attracted to the same combination of CONTROL and FLUID. I usually choose these as I want my team to be attacking but not too much and also want my players to contribute in more than one phase of play.

I have played around with COUNTER but I don't like sitting back and absorbing pressure as I feel that I could always leak one goal and the other team would just it back and hold out for full time.

This is definately a part of my tactic which I would appreciate some advice on and some experiences.

3 PRE-SEASON GAMES IN

I have played 3 pre-season games and have seen a few places where I think we could improve. The following changes have been made and will see how they work -

- Playing a BBM in the MCR position makes the player advance too far in to the AMC's space. After seing this happened I have now changed his role to DLP (S). The only reason for this is that the other roles would still make him sit in a more advanced position.

- Both the ML and MR positions have now been changed to WM (S) with PI of sit narrower, get further forward and cut inside with ball. Hopefully these will make the wide players play like Inside Forwards and support the Striker even more.

- With the wide mifielders now being changed to sit further inside, the DL and DR have now been changed to FB (A) as to give overlapping support and provide more width for the team.

- Work ball into box has been added to stop long shots and to give more time for other supporting players to catch up with play and provide extra passing options.

WHAT DO I WANT THE TEAM TO DO?

Defending phases - I would like the team to press the ball when it is lost, but not too much that the players get dragged out of position allowing the opposition to take advantage of massive spaces. If possible I would like the defensive line to hold tight and allow the midfielders to do the pressing.

Transition phases - I would like at least one full back to be involved in attacks and for a midfielder to cover him when he has pushed high up the pitch.

Attacking phases - I would like the team to work the ball up to the final third and look for clever passes behind the defense for the striker to finish. Also there should be an option of a quick break away and a cross to the striker that has made a forward run in to the box.

I understand that with these 'wishes' maybe they cannot be implemented at the same time and that is why I have posted here to find the best balance.

Not sure your aware but having a DM will make your defensive line play a bit deeper as they have a shielding player. If you want to press then it may be better to have him more advanced in MC (CM-D for example) so the defence + midfield are closer. I recently did this with my 433 DM Wide (your final formation) and with no other changes it has really improved my defensive record.

The style of play should affect you formation decision as you need to transition from that defensive formation to your attacking setup. The faster the tempo or more direct the play the sooner you need support to reach them which might mean more advanced defensive positioning. The slower the tempo or shorter the play then you might want more players starting deeper to give options as you transition to your attacking setup.

Archived