[FM16] My first ever unemployed career.

Northernpilgrim

I'm back, and this time I'm doing something I've never done before, an unemployed journeyman thread. There are going to be no rules (well, almost none). My only objective is going to be to win as many trophies as possible. I will stay with a club until I win something, either a cup or promotion/league title, but will then move on at the end of that season. I'm open to international management too. Above all, I want to have fun, as (and I know I've said it before, but due to losing previous saves to corrupt files I've had to come back) this will be my last FM16 career.

My manager

Jamie%20Sheehan_zpsrhvnamys.png

The starting point

I applied for a couple of roles, getting an interview (which went well but they chose another candidate) at Oxford United, before I was appointed manager of

Accrington%20job_zpskiezyydi.png

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first glance the squad doesn't look too bad, but when you consider that Dean Winnard is the best player in two positions (right and left back), and he's the second best centre back at the club, the defence is clearly an area to focus on first. That and the backroom staff which is thin on the ground to say the least, with an urgent need to fill the Ass Man position

Accrington%20squad_zpsem3gao8j.png

Accrington%20staff_zpsc3i9xqkx.png

I knew Accrington was going to be a tough place to begin my career, but I wasn't expecting this in August, especially after the first game

Aug%202015_zpsnhbn0wtx.png

and it's clear the target is initially going to be survival

Aug%202015%20table_zpsghqei7jn.png

and we managed to add just one player in the transfer window, on loan from Liverpool

Virtue_zpszaxdbetz.png

Looks like you're off to a steady start.

What leagues do you have loaded?

Thanks Lenzar. These are my current leagues, though if I move abroad I'll drop England so that I can open up more possibilities. That's for the future though

Active%20leagues_zpsrpngt3uh.png

It should have been even better, as we battered Wimbledon but got sucker-punched, and blew a 2-0 lead in the last 10 minutes against Dagenham. Those 5 dropped points would have seen us pushing for the playoffs at this early stage, but we're not ready for that (yet). I'll have work to do in the summer though with the departures of Josh Windass and Matt Crooks to Rangers on free transfers already agreed before my arrival.

As the month drew to a close, I received a very tempting offer from a higher division club

Chesterfield%20offer_zpspdqby1tc.png

I'm genuinely torn in two over this decision. One part of me thinks that given the rules laid out in the opening post, namely that I'd stay until I won something, I should turn it down. The other part of me picks out the 'above all I want to have fun' line, and I'm not sure how much fun the summer is going to be, given I'm losing my two best players FOR FREE in the summer, there's no transfer budget, we're at the top of the wage budget, and tipped to struggle. I'm going to save it now, think about it overnight, and make a decision after work tomorrow night. Feel free to post your own thoughts, I will read any that are here tomorrow night before making (and announcing) my decision.

Despite making several offers, I wasn't able to convince anyone to join a League 1 relegation battle, though I did let Ritchie Humphreys leave to get the wage bill down (even so it's still above the limit as I've renewed a few contracts that were due to expire in the summer). The plan now is to survive this season, reshape the squad in the summer, and try to get promoted next season. If we do go down, I'll stay as long as the board don't sack me and we'll be looking to bounce straight back. Either way it's going to be 'squeaky bum time' in Derbyshire for the next few months.

I don't think we need to replace either keeper permanently, but I'm certainly looking at loaning in someone. I hope to have something sorted by the end of August, and will then look to loan out one or both of our current keepers, though that will be with recall clauses inserted.

Elliot Parish is a goalkeeper I rate very highly IRL, and his CA is higher than either of our existing keepers, although their PA is much higher. I felt that signing him would enable me to blood both of the other two keepers by bringing them on in games that were already won (or lost), using them in cups, and accepting any loan offers for them.

October was OK, but certainly could have been better

Oct%202016_zpsnbqbxdx2.png

We gave away 3 goals in the opening 20 minutes against Tranmere, conceded a 92nd minute equaliser at Chester, and failed to see off Telford despite them playing 70 minutes with 10 men. All of which means we're third, when we could have ended the month top

Oct%202016%20table_zpsopdfcrbs.png

As previously indicated, we had a tough start to November (which even included the squad telling me they had lost faith in my management). We ended the month well though

Nov%202016_zpscm5pvmld.png

and we're in the playoffs, just three points off the top

Nov%202016%20table_zpsxfjrpwfm.png

Once again though, blowing leads has proven costly. We threw away a lead against Morecambe, and were 2 up after just 5 minutes at Boreham Wood, yet ended up clinging on for a point. We need to learn to see games out, although the biggest problem seems to be fitness as we've several players out injured, and almost everybody finishes a match with their condition below 50pc.

Archived