playing lower leagues is ridiculously frustrating

I'm playing a club in Vanarama National, starting a new season. Paying attention to the news and seeing a fellow VN club try to buy some players on a free transfer. One catches my eye so I try to snipe him. Go to "make offer" and the game tells me that the player is looking for $4.6k/wk wages. Considering my max allowed by the board is about $1.2k/wk, I know how this will end so I sigh and move on. A few days later, I get a notification that that player did indeed sign with the other VN club. Except his wage is $1.6k!!! :eek: Now, I still couldn't have afford him but how is the AI allowed to negotiate these kinds of offers to sign him for 30% of what he wants. I've never been able to come anywhere close to that kind of a discount.

Also, while I'm ranting, why the hell are all 3 of my pre-season matches against League 2 teams (division above mine)?? How am I supposed to fine-tune my tactics when I'm getting destroyed 5-0 by a vastly superior team??

• SI Staff

We are aware of an issue where wage demands can be a bit too high at times for lower league clubs. Although it could be possible that the player is more willing to join the other VN club, so lowered his demands.

Regarding friendlies, it is very common for lower league teams to play their friendlies against superior opposition. Friendlies are mainly about fitness and are a good opportunity for lower league clubs to get some extra revenue in by playing a more reputable side. For example, Braintree have recently announced pre-season friendlies against Southend United, Gillingham and Cambridge. All higher-level sides.

• SI Staff

Quite often a player will ask for an inflated wage and may accept less if no one else shows interest in him ... whether you want to take the time haggling and risk him going elsewhere is up to you ..

I've found that offering a big release clause (where appropriate) can get players, certainly younger ones, to accept a lower wage. Only problem with this is that down the line they can start to demand a move later to a bigger club.

• SI Staff
I've found that offering a big release clause (where appropriate) can get players, certainly younger ones, to accept a lower wage. Only problem with this is that down the line they can start to demand a move later to a bigger club.

Clauses can help a lot with this side of things - but as Vane rightly indicates it comes at a price, its understandable when you think about it though ... by giving such a clause you give a statement to the player that if he is good enough he'll be able to step up to a bigger club and earn more ...

Archived