Sports Interactive Community
darren1983

England vs Portugal Kick Off 7.45 ITV

13327486_1163142330391992_5550909482997167835_n.jpg?oh=54fba659e33bacf72f22b620023956d2&oe=57C89005

4-4-2 with Rafa and Nani upfront. Not sure if it's the flat variant (that we've been playing more recently with João Mário on the right, and one of the other midfielders on the left), or a diamond who seems to fit this lineup slightly better. May resemble both formations at different points of the match anyway, in a very dynamic loose type of system.

This may be slightly weird to watch for people who have gotten used to see Portugal playing 4-3-3 for over a decade.

Also, I'm not going to enjoy Vardy/Kane's pace vs 34 year old Bruno Alves and 38 year old Ricardo Carvalho. It's clearly the weakest point and can go horribly wrong.

Thought João Mario was a central midfielder

Yes but he can play (has often played lately) right-wing as well in a 4-4-2.

Portugal in a much earlier stage of the preparation than England, many players only started to train last mid-week, when England had already played friendly games. Ronaldo and Pepe are still on holidays and therefore haven't joined the training camp. This being said, i'm afraid it might be a walk in the park for England. If they face each others during the euro championship it will be a completely different story.

Looks pretty close to an England starting-11 in a couple of weeks?

Yeah, not a million miles away. Maybe Clyne instead of Walker, Wilshere instead of Milner?

Portugal in a much earlier stage of the preparation than England, many players only started to train last mid-week, when England had already played friendly games. Ronaldo and Pepe are still on holidays and therefore haven't joined the training camp. This being said, i'm afraid it might be a walk in the park for England. If they face each others during the euro championship it will be a completely different story.

We'll cruise tonight before you beat us in the Euros in the quarters :D

Probably our preferred XI starting tonight against a decent but not remarkable team, should be a good gauge of how we'll get on in the tournament.

Didn't realise Carvalho was still alive. Vardy could have a field day tonight.

i don't know why they did it, but having the Champions League final so close to the tournament was ridiculous. Spent ages trying to get leagues to finish early, and then have the CL final two weeks before the competition starts.

But it's worth noting that this could well be our starting 11 already, if we swap in Pepe and Ronaldo for Bruno Alves and Rafa.

I'd like further changes, specially Raphael Guerreiro and José Fonte in for Eliseu and Ricardo Carvalho, but there's many possible variations and I'm sure the starting 11 won't be completely set in stone but be pretty flexible.

Very interesting pitch design tonight!

by interesting you mean ugly right?

Please get Kane off set pieces, they are absolute trash.

Saw a tweet with Hodgson saying he's the best at them, if he is how awful are the rest of the squad? :D

Imagine trying to argue with the referee on that one ffs

Cantona would have been proud. :D

TBH this spoils the game as it is supposed to be a warm up for the tournament.

Cantona would have been proud. :D

TBH this spoils the game as it is supposed to be a warm up for the tournament.

It does but the ref can't let that one slide.

Is he suspended for euros then??

Not sure but he might be in the next Matrix movie.

Question can a ref play advantage if he plans to send the man off?

Tbh looked like something we'd try when we were kids, "look what I can do mum". :)

Just turned on, is this a 4-3-3 with Rooney through middle and Kane/Vardy wide? :D

4-4-2 diamond with Rooney #10 and Kane/Vardy defending out wide.

I don't even know what to say about Bruno Alves. Cheers for doing it now and not in 2 weeks time?

Question can a ref play advantage if he plans to send the man off?

Nope, must stop play and issue the RC

Nope, must stop play and issue the RC

I think that only doesn't apply when it's a 2nd yellow card.

Defensively frail, no creativity in midfield and our forwards doing nothing of note. Looking good for the Euro's.

England's way of playing 4-3-1-2 is weird. Hodgson concerned about defending in wide areas, so gets his strikers tracking out wide without the ball. Not helping them with the ball, as Hoddle has just said in commentary

Well that was rather boring, Alves providing the entertainment. Should take off Milner and get on someone more attacking now 11 v 10.

There is no point playing Vardy at all if he is going to stuck out wide, he is so useless there that we may as well be a player down from the start. Should be on as a striker or bench.

Walker the best player so far. Surging forward like Danny Mills at WC2002.