England vs Portugal Kick Off 7.45 ITV

darren1983

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walker's guaranteed himself game against Russia

Don't like Rooney in the hole in this formation as drops too deep looking for ball and then with Kane & Vardy pushing wide we are giving too much time in the middle forcing CM to come out of position to close down

The reason your strikers are spending so much time out wide is because we're having all of the ball (or were at least, prior to the red card). I don't really see anything wrong with the strikers covering those areas, in fact it's quite clever and completely stiffled our passing angles.

Having all that possession meant little because we were having huge trouble passing the ball into dangerous areas, and a vast majority of the match was just passing around between our 4 defenders and Danilo. England were more dangerous on much quicker attacks/counter-attacks.

That being said, I'm not that unhappy with the performance (apart from the hilariously misplaced assault by Bruno Alves). I reckon England are these days probably a little stronger than us, even more so at home and even more so when we don't have Ronaldo/Pepe. So whilst this way of playing looks boring it does even the playing field a bit. I also think with a couple more weeks of training this playing style will gel a little better.

The top two scorers in the Premier League last season spending most of the game out wide :rolleyes:

Rooney appears to be keeping Vardy, Kane and Alli all out of their best positions at the same time, which is quite some achievement.

How has Quaresma only got 49 caps ffs? He's been around for ages.

Started his career behind Figo and Simão. Then got behind Figo and Ronaldo. Then Ronaldo and Simão. Then Ronaldo and Nani. Then when Nani became **** he became **** too.

Hope we send Wilshere home and call up Drinky. Wilshere has done nothing.

I've always agreed Wilshere should be in the squad, though I think Drinkwater should be more aggrieved that Milner got a game tonight instead of him.

They havent. They were rubbish against Turkey too.

They played well once they actually played as a strike force for the last 15 mins or so.

For the first 75 minutes of the Turkey match Vardy was playing on the wing.

Think Vardy being asked to do the doggies down the wings last few games has unfortunately cost him his place in the team :/

If it's a diamond want it'll hopefully be Dier: Wilshere, Alli: Sterling: 2 from Kane/Rooney/Vardy (most likely Rooney/Kane)

If 4-3-3, then it'll hopefully be Dier, Wilshere, Alli: Sterling, 1 from Kane/Rooney/Vardy, Lallana. But as someone mentioned elsewhere it'd most likely be Rooney over Lallana and Kane/Vardy battling for front spot.

I think he does accept we didn't play well, but wisely refused to go there on national telly.

Horrible game, but for me it's no bad thing for these players, the younger ones in particular, to get this type of wake up call immediately before a tournament.

why is kane taking the free kicks???

Because apparently he is the best in the squad at them.

Nice to get the win, great header from Smalling, agree with what someone posted above, this could be a good reminder to the squad that we're better than the recent three games, we've picked up three wins from three but we've not really played all that well.

Think Vardy being asked to do the doggies down the wings last few games has unfortunately cost him his place in the team :/

If it's a diamond want it'll hopefully be Dier: Wilshere, Alli: Sterling: 2 from Kane/Rooney/Vardy (most likely Rooney/Kane)

If 4-3-3, then it'll hopefully be Dier, Wilshere, Alli: Sterling, 1 from Kane/Rooney/Vardy, Lallana. But as someone mentioned elsewhere it'd most likely be Rooney over Lallana and Kane/Vardy battling for front spot.

The thought of Lallana as a wide forward *shudder*

Hope Roy grows some balls and goes for the 2nd lineup (with Kane obviously).

Archived