The Ask-SI-Anything Thread

When I pick a speciality player role it comes with some fixed and or some unavailable PI. Presumably this is to prevent clear contradictions i.e. advanced playmaker cannot be set to play fewer risky passes

is there any thought to adding a similar theory when choosing your tactical shape and mentality? i.e. I can select 'Attacking' [described as high tempo, direct passing], yet I can still choose the TI 'low tempo' ... 'shorter passing', 'retain possession'

Is it intentional to allow this ... to make it harder for players to make tactical decisions... or is the wording ambiguous for the Attacking mentality description etc...? I find it odd that in an SI discussion revolving around player roles and PI didn't overlap to team shape/mentality and TI.

Also some clarification on your formation: is it definitely 'your defensive shape'? then we are intended to use TI/PI to turn that defensive shape into attack... if so ... why are so many players preferred position AML/AMR when in real life those players and most formations defensively would have attacking wide men drop back to some extent ... either bank of 4 or in extreme cases to form a back 6. and is there any thought then to add attacking tactic creator alongside defensive tactic creator.

thanks - sorry I know that overlaps with 'wishlist'

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I have mentioned this at the tactics section, I can't resist asking it here: so, why are opposition players roles and duties left in the dark ? why are opponents team mentality and shape also left hiding ? FM is supposed to be a football manager simulator, right ? simulating real life, right ? So, what manager in real life doesn't have a clue about this information ? what manager in real life doesn't get reports about this from one of his scouts ? I know, as FM managers, we are supposed to watch what is going on during a match and from there build a perception of how the opponent is playing. Its common sense, it feels right to be this way, but IRL managers get very detailed, deep, specific reports how opponents play. Just trying to understand the logic of this.

On 12/6/2016 at 16:56, Neil Brock said:

These are all questions for the match team really, so I'm not in a position to answer them I'm afraid. 

I appreciate the answer, Neil.

Hopefully someone from the match team will drop by sooner or later.

Thanks.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 18:40, Lord Rowell said:

Just on the F9 issue. The original F9 was an Austrian player called Mattias Sindelar. We can then walk through history up to the present day Lionel Messi (reinvented as a F9 by Pep Guardiola).

Both were prolific goalscorers. The role of the F9 is essentially one of deception, in the build-up phase they drop off the front-line (so not a no. 9) but enter the attacking zone at the final phase, unmarked (see, I am a number 9 sometimes...), and BANG its a goal! Hence, finishing is vital.

Best Response.

4 hours ago, Welshace said:

You get detailed reports when you have the right staff in... You can get detailed reports on how they played their last match, how they tend to play, their best players, heat maps etc...  that's what managers in real would get.

yes, and that makes sense, but it doesn't mean that managers don't receive information about specific player roles being use by opponents.

You get detailed reports when you have the right staff in... You can get detailed reports on how they played their last match, how they tend to play, their best players, heat maps etc...  that's what managers in real would get.

yes, and that makes sense, but it doesn't mean that managers don't receive information about specific player roles being use by opponents.

11 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Well I think what he means, and I agree, is IRL managers aren't getting reports like - Francis Coquelin is being used a BWM more defensively. They'd get a report showing his movement/heat map, showing all his passes/tackles, that sort of thing. In addition to watching game footage they'll get a much more comprehensive idea of the role of that player in the team. Not just getting a player role which I think would be unrealistic.

4 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

Well I think what he means, and I agree, is IRL managers aren't getting reports like - Francis Coquelin is being used a BWM more defensively. They'd get a report showing his movement/heat map, showing all his passes/tackles, that sort of thing. In addition to watching game footage they'll get a much more comprehensive idea of the role of that player in the team. Not just getting a player role which I think would be unrealistic.

yeah, I didn't mean it like that, its precisely why I started to say it makes sense, thats also why I said we're supposed to watch the matches. So its much more having the current information plus the player roles... and mentality... and team shape

18 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

When I pick a speciality player role it comes with some fixed and or some unavailable PI. Presumably this is to prevent clear contradictions i.e. advanced playmaker cannot be set to play fewer risky passes

is there any thought to adding a similar theory when choosing your tactical shape and mentality? i.e. I can select 'Attacking' [described as high tempo, direct passing], yet I can still choose the TI 'low tempo' ... 'shorter passing', 'retain possession'

Is it intentional to allow this ... to make it harder for players to make tactical decisions... or is the wording ambiguous for the Attacking mentality description etc...? I find it odd that in an SI discussion revolving around player roles and PI didn't overlap to team shape/mentality and TI.

Also some clarification on your formation: is it definitely 'your defensive shape'? then we are intended to use TI/PI to turn that defensive shape into attack... if so ... why are so many players preferred position AML/AMR when in real life those players and most formations defensively would have attacking wide men drop back to some extent ... either bank of 4 or in extreme cases to form a back 6. and is there any thought then to add attacking tactic creator alongside defensive tactic creator.

thanks - sorry I know that overlaps with 'wishlist'

This!

Can I just ask a couple of questions?

1.  What is the Premier Division Cup?  Under my Club history West Ham won the Premier Division Cup in 2016 but I can't click on it for any sort of history so is it a Reserve or Youth Trophy?

2.  Is players happiness hard coded in each save in FM?  In both saves I have played Dmitri Payet keeps wanting to leave for Barcelona and yet I never get an offer for him and he constantly stays miserable.  It's been a while since we have had a good player so was wondering if I will ever get a save where he is happy to stay at West Ham without sulking!!!

9 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Can I just ask a couple of questions?

1.  What is the Premier Division Cup?  Under my Club history West Ham won the Premier Division Cup in 2016 but I can't click on it for any sort of history so is it a Reserve or Youth Trophy?

2.  Is players happiness hard coded in each save in FM?  In both saves I have played Dmitri Payet keeps wanting to leave for Barcelona and yet I never get an offer for him and he constantly stays miserable.  It's been a while since we have had a good player so was wondering if I will ever get a save where he is happy to stay at West Ham without sulking!!!

bc68ecc505314099b904e5156a342645.png

2. not hardcoded .. but obviously when you have a player of his calibre and more importantly his reputation etc, he is going to look elsewhere....his reputation and ambition won't change from save to save, so it's a matter of man management or succeeding to meet his expectations... just as I imagine it is irl.

On 05/12/2016 at 11:46, Neil Brock said:

If you have an example of this occurring in your game please raise it on the bugs forum with a save game from just before the transfer takes place so we can investigate - https://community.sigames.com/forum/517-transfers-contracts-and-scouting-issues/ 

Thanks. 

can give you lots of excamples im top of league 2 as lincoln city, purver is on free agent list he wants 1.8k 2 year deal and usual bonus my top line is 1.6 i offer  that change the apperance bonus up an extra 100 still refuses signs for bottom of table cambridge 540 a week !!! Lee frecklington wants 3k i offer my top wage 2.4k extra bonus refuses go to a non league tranmere 800!!!!

48 minutes ago, screwyiimp said:

can give you lots of excamples im top of league 2 as lincoln city, purver is on free agent list he wants 1.8k 2 year deal and usual bonus my top line is 1.6 i offer  that change the apperance bonus up an extra 100 still refuses signs for bottom of table cambridge 540 a week !!! Lee frecklington wants 3k i offer my top wage 2.4k extra bonus refuses go to a non league tranmere 800!!!!

Believe he said provide examples in the bug forums with save games etc

Where in the blue blazes can I found out how much I lied to my new signing (a.k.a promises made when signing)?

Berahino is being  whiny , and claims he wants to leave me because I said I'd 'change for the better', but I can see specifically what I said to him, 

Is it out of the parameters of normal behavior for top clubs to be interested in fairly averagish goalkeepers? 

Arsenal, Man City and Manchester United are all interested in purchasing a recently transfer listed, 32 year old Rob Elliot. The other two clubs are Burton and Barnsley for whom it would be more understandable, just an idle curiosity more for if its a case of improvements in the AI governing transfers. Haven't noticed the bigger teams ever really identifying that kind of player who would be happy to sit on the fringes for the next 3/4/5+ years in case they might be needed. 

12 hours ago, Welshace said:

Believe he said provide examples in the bug forums with save games etc

but is that really worth it as its not a bug is it ? it happens to everyone who plays i just wanted to know why a player wants say 2k a week you offer 1.5 he refuses then goes elsewhere for £500 a week so it wont be answered just avoided as usual after all its ask anything isnt it ?

Are you concerned that the reviews on FM17 are massively more negative than those in FM16, on all fansites? For a game with so much history and hype, are you becoming disconnected from your fanbase and alienating them?

One particular review I find common and I fully agree on since several releases is:

" Maybe it's me and I don't get it or I'm not good enough but it is too random. Regardless of whether it's tactics, injuries, transfers etc. I don't feel like I'm in control. Which is kind of a big deal in a management simulator. "

2 hours ago, Methos said:

Are you concerned that the reviews on FM17 are massively more negative than those in FM16, on all fansites? For a game with so much history and hype, are you becoming disconnected from your fanbase and alienating them?

One particular review I find common and I fully agree on since several releases is:

" Maybe it's me and I don't get it or I'm not good enough but it is too random. Regardless of whether it's tactics, injuries, transfers etc. I don't feel like I'm in control. Which is kind of a big deal in a management simulator. "

Basically, no.

This has been discussed on another thread.

On 10/12/2016 at 21:58, santy001 said:

Is it out of the parameters of normal behavior for top clubs to be interested in fairly averagish goalkeepers? 

Arsenal, Man City and Manchester United are all interested in purchasing a recently transfer listed, 32 year old Rob Elliot. The other two clubs are Burton and Barnsley for whom it would be more understandable, just an idle curiosity more for if its a case of improvements in the AI governing transfers. Haven't noticed the bigger teams ever really identifying that kind of player who would be happy to sit on the fringes for the next 3/4/5+ years in case they might be needed. 

If they are going for him as a backup/third choice keeper its not much of a problem, though the AI has been a bit too aggressive in some previous versions when signing backup GK's so if they are signing a new one every season then it might be worth raising in the bugs forum.

On 12/10/2016 at 10:54, mynjdusta said:

Where in the blue blazes can I found out how much I lied to my new signing (a.k.a promises made when signing)?

Berahino is being  whiny , and claims he wants to leave me because I said I'd 'change for the better', but I can see specifically what I said to him, 

nudge

32 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

There is a Player Promises tab on your Manager Profile screen, if you hover over the promise it should give you details.

Thanks for the reply. It only shows recent ones (e.g. lack of playing time, so promised loan). Not ones I made when signing, e.g. assign penalty taker, play in cup matches etc

A couple more questions regarding FMT if I may because there isn't much that goes on in the FMT Forum....

1.  The Chairman revealed that someone had joined the Club as Chief Doctor.  Just wondering if there is any real point to this because he doesn't show up in the Staff ?

2.  Angelo Ogbonna has requested a new contract and has voiced his ideas for promises I have to make for him to sign.  Doesn't make much difference because by just deleting the promises they tend to sign anyway (oops, shouldn't have said that!!) but anyway one of his requests is that the Club will improve the coaching team.  In FMT you can't do that though can you, unless you bring in a better Assistant?

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers for in the forum. I've already posted in two different subforums here (Tactics & General Discussion), but got no answers. I'd be thankful if anyone could answer even only some of these questions :)

1. When you're unemployed and you go on holidays, you can automatically apply for jobs for lower reputation leagues, higher reputation leagues, etc.
    1. But what do these options actually  mean? Is "lower reputation leagues" from eg. rank 20 to rank 40 leagues, and "bottom reputation leagues" from rank 40 onwards?
  2. A human manager can take courses to improve his/her managing and training skills.
    1. What are the attributes that actually increase with the course?
    2. Do they actually increase at all?
    3. Do they increase progressively during the course or suddenly after the human manager passes the course?
    4. What are the odds of a human manager failing the course?
    5. Are those odds influenced by anything controllable?
    6. When applying for a job, do manager qualifications increase your probability of success getting the job?
    7. When applying for a job, do the human manager individual attributes influence his/her probability of getting the job?

Thank you in advance :)

On 11/8/2016 at 19:06, Pendraz said:

Lovely thread, here my questions:

1) What do the tighten up and push forward team talks do? I haven't been able to tell, the only thing I can think of, is that they might lower or increase the mentality a tiny little bit.

2) If instead I use "demand more" or "show some passion", do they influence their work rate and closing down?

3) If I have, let's say, a player set as close down much more, and I visually see the green bar already 100% "filled", will that player close down EVEN MORE if I increase also the TI for closing down/use the above mentioned team talk, or there is a maximum limit to how much far a player is willing to go and how much aggressive he will become in order to chase the ball?

4) Any reason why you can train a player with the PPM "switch ball to the other flank" but you don't have a TI/PI to actually ask your player/s to do it on a constant basis? And yes, I know you can ask to "exploit the flanks", but as far as I am aware, they also influence other stuff, I'd simply like to be able to tell specific players to do that, without having to train them specifically for it.

5) Why can't we set a default Man marking based on player and opponent positions, similar to how you can set the Opposition instructions for each position on the field? That way would be applied automatically to every match, and you could cancel them by pressing a single button before each match if in that specific match you wanted to go with zonal marking. Much better than having to set up each single player man marking manually for every match EXCEPT for when you actually don't want to. I am all up for micromanaging everything to the tiniest detail, but I'd like to be able to do it once and then enjoy the fruits of my labor, not going through that tedious process every timed.

6) What's the point of the defensive forward? In my experience, he doesn't help defensively in his own half, and acts more or less as an AM support offensively, until the build up play gives him enough time to position on the edge of the box. The latter would be fine if he actually serve a purpose defensively, but he doesn't, the difference from other support duty strikers with close down much more PI is negligible in my opinion.

7) Why can't we have a TI for "Shoot less" similar to the recently added (in FM16) and very appreciated, option to ask for the team to "dribble less"? I know there is the TI work ball in the box that does that, but same as for the exploit flanks, I might want my team to shoot less often from range, but still not want my team to cross less, for example. And yes I know that I can ask my players to cross more with PIs, but I can still see a noticeable difference in the amount of crosses with work ball in the box. Don't get me wrong, not saying to change that shout, it's a good one, I'd just want an entirely different one.

Anyone from the match team that can answer these? Thanks :)

1 how many times does a team/player  hit the post in an average prem / football league  game ? on fm it can be upto 10 times

2 how many players turn down a contract and rather sit unemployed for seasons on end lower league players are not rich enough to turn down 1k a week no matter what club 

3 how many players refuse 10/15k week 4 year contract from a prem club to carry on playing in a crap league for £600 a week or move to another club for 3k a week  ?

4 how many chairmen turn down a 2 / 3 million pound offer for a player but sell the player to another club for half the price 3 days later ?

5 why have a min release fee when other clubs dont even want to pay half the players value never mind his release fee , the whole point of most clubs is to get a player cheap  and turn him to something special ie buy him for 200k 2 season later hes valued at 8 million teams come calling so as you dont want to sell you expect bids of 10mill  plus but no the AI bids 4 / 5 mill 

6 you find a player his value is 100k the club want 26 mill ( because they dont want to sell ) so you have to pay through the nose  to buy a player ( see point 5 )

when people moan about not scoring or there getting beat all the time they are quoted that its there tactics or how they talk to the players etc and when a screenshot is posted saying look i had 65% 32 shots etc and they had 2 and won 1-0 they are told hey look at this real life game it happens , well look at the real life finances of the game as FM is so far from reality on this part , or is it just a game where finances  are concerned 

• 3 weeks later...

What determines whether your club is suitable for a Youth Recruitment upgrade or not?

I ask because this is a quote from someone at SI a few years back:

"Youth recruitment rating is not only tied to finances, but it is also dependent on club location and nationality as these will affect the recruitment possibilities in the nearby regions. Having all the money in the world will not suddenly make the local talent pool amazing or even much better than it has been previously, but having more money and better facilities means you can make the most out of the talent that you can recruit to your youth system.

Look at it this way (an extreme example I know), if you took the richest team in the world with the best facilities and coaching staff and placed the team into Greenland, would you expect them to churn out golden generations of newgens all the time?"

Which all makes sense - but people have been finding that their team can't upgrade Youth Recruitment, while teams in the same country and city, with significantly lower reputation, finances, and facilities can. Is there something else that goes into Youth Recruitment? Does it work differently for AI and human controlled teams?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

What determines whether your club is suitable for a Youth Recruitment upgrade or not?

I ask because this is a quote from someone at SI a few years back:

"Youth recruitment rating is not only tied to finances, but it is also dependent on club location and nationality as these will affect the recruitment possibilities in the nearby regions. Having all the money in the world will not suddenly make the local talent pool amazing or even much better than it has been previously, but having more money and better facilities means you can make the most out of the talent that you can recruit to your youth system.

Look at it this way (an extreme example I know), if you took the richest team in the world with the best facilities and coaching staff and placed the team into Greenland, would you expect them to churn out golden generations of newgens all the time?"

Which all makes sense - but people have been finding that their team can't upgrade Youth Recruitment, while teams in the same country and city, with significantly lower reputation, finances, and facilities can. Is there something else that goes into Youth Recruitment? Does it work differently for AI and human controlled teams?

Thanks.

Seconded!

Why don't you have U17 teams in the game? In Italy for instance there should be U19 and U17 as youth teams instead of U20 and U18.

I've noticed that U17 is not available even as an option in the pre-game editor.

Why is there no Select All button on the Select Nations screen?

There's been many years to put this in and it hasn't been done, even though it would improve player game set up speed significantly.

It's just a real ball ache to select each nation when I want to select all, or perhaps it would be faster to use this button and then deselect nations if I want to choose most nations but deselect some very minor ones. Have the button change to Deselect All and have the button alongside a "Select Major Football Nations" button which would select nations like France, Spain, Germany, England, Brazil etc where the best regens commonly come from.

20 hours ago, Preveza said:

Why are the regens ridiculously poor this year? Probably done in house Im assuming. Not happy

I've actually found the opposite, regens are feeling ridiculously overcooked on my save. In the past transfer windows I sold Saul, Koke, Paul Pogba and Dele Alli because the regens were clearly going to be better players in another 1-2 years by the time they were 21/22.

As for my question, does the game now model the "exceptional talent" criteria to an extent? I've noticed that when it comes to buying youngsters who hadn't ought to be qualifying for a work permit, substantial transfer fees tend to see a work permit granted provided a nations ranking is fairly high. With transfer fees below £10m I've seen a lot more rejections.

12 hours ago, santy001 said:

I've actually found the opposite, regens are feeling ridiculously overcooked on my save. In the past transfer windows I sold Saul, Koke, Paul Pogba and Dele Alli because the regens were clearly going to be better players in another 1-2 years by the time they were 21/22.

I might be wrong, but I assumed he was talking about the regens' appearance.

• Administrators
On 1/11/2017 at 12:38, Preveza said:

Why are the regens ridiculously poor this year? Probably done in house Im assuming. Not happy

Every single thing in game is done 'in-house' so I don't really understand what you mean by this one? 

• Administrators
On 1/11/2017 at 11:06, Delvi said:

Why don't you have U17 teams in the game? In Italy for instance there should be U19 and U17 as youth teams instead of U20 and U18.

I've noticed that U17 is not available even as an option in the pre-game editor.

I believe it's due to the fact we can't have players under a certain age for legal reasons - if we had U17 youth teams in there would barely be any players eligible for the competitions. 

• Administrators
On 1/12/2017 at 08:53, santy001 said:

As for my question, does the game now model the "exceptional talent" criteria to an extent? I've noticed that when it comes to buying youngsters who hadn't ought to be qualifying for a work permit, substantial transfer fees tend to see a work permit granted provided a nations ranking is fairly high. With transfer fees below £10m I've seen a lot more rejections.

There's been a few discussions about work permits, there's been a few links flying around in the past. Details can be found here - http://www.danielgeey.com/the-foreigner-debate-the-fas-new-work-permit-regulations-explained/

• Administrators
On 1/12/2017 at 08:37, permanentquandary said:

Why is there no Select All button on the Select Nations screen?

There's been many years to put this in and it hasn't been done, even though it would improve player game set up speed significantly.

It's just a real ball ache to select each nation when I want to select all, or perhaps it would be faster to use this button and then deselect nations if I want to choose most nations but deselect some very minor ones. Have the button change to Deselect All and have the button alongside a "Select Major Football Nations" button which would select nations like France, Spain, Germany, England, Brazil etc where the best regens commonly come from.

Because realistically people shouldn't be selecting all leagues. The vast size of the game means doing this even on high end machines means the game will run very slowly and there's not really any benefit to the user from having all these leagues loaded. It's a killer for system memory. Essentially it's not there as people should be picking leagues which will have an affect on their gameworld. For instance, if you're playing a Premier League save with Man Utd, do you really need Indonesia loaded as a league? 

• Administrators

Oh and if you're asking a question in here, generally ask an individual question rather than a long list please. The individual ones have a chance of being answered, the really long ones it's harder to find the time to do so.

Cheers. 

Archived